don't click here

Sonic Heroes PC on Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So for whatever reason, I remembered that I haven't played Heroes in years. Got my PC version of the game out, installed it and found out that the bloody thing won't boot. No error message, no sign of it in task manager or anything. Nothing happens at all. Any suggestions? I've tried running it under compatibility mode and with a no CD .exe, but there's no change. Just wondering if this is related to Windows 7, or if it's my graphics card (GeForce GTX 750 Ti).

EDIT: Demo works fine.

2. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've played on my laptop with Windows 7 and Sonic Heroes (full version) was working absolutely fine. But I've got to admit, that it never wanted to cooperate with my dedicated graphic card (it was one of the GeForce M series, don't remember model though), and it always worked on integrated Intel HD graphic card (even when I've tried to set it in Nvidia control panel), so I would say that you may be right with this graphic card.

Are you playing on Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? I've heard that 64bit version is a bit more troublesome for older applications (I used 32 bit and almost never had some serious issues with older games).

I don't know if available screen resolutions can make this issue, but maybe try with modified exe file (with higher screen res)? Is it possible for you to turn on launcher? Or even launcher doesn't want to load?

3. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That's odd. I'm running Windows 10 with a GTX 660 and it's fine. Does it show up in Task Manager at all, or does it just straight up not start?

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Windows 7 64 bit, and absolutely no sign of it in the task manager. The launcher itself works and it the game will run at any resolution on the demo version. But the full game just wont start at all.

5. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I have Windows 10 Pro 64bits and the game runs without problem. I even play with the 1080p mod with no problem.

try to check if in the event viewer there are some message about the crash.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I ran it on Windows 7 64bit with no problems. I have not tried it since upgrading to Windows 10 yet.

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I only recently played it on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems about a month before the Windows 10 upgrade. Can't think what the problem would be.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    http://www.windowscentral.com/recent-update-windows-7-8-and-vista-wont-run-games-safedisc-or-securom

Sonic Heroes uses some disc-level copy protection (I forget which). A recent update to Windows Vista and later disabled the service required for SafeDisc and SecuROM.

You'll need to get a cracked EXE.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you tried a No-CD crack. In that case, I'm lost. You'd need to run it in a debugger and see where exactly it exits. You could also try enabling the workaround mentioned in the relevant KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

9. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yeah, I managed to play Heroes on 7 64 bit a few months back when the Team Super Sonic mod was fixed up.

Haven't tried it on 10 yet. Is there a chance it might be something with the disk and the way it installs? I only say that because I got Heroes by... other means.

10. MartiusR

MartiusR

That's quite interesting thing, I remember that I had discussion with one of the users in (probably) Sonic Heroes topic - and we've found out that my version of Sonic Heroes ( I have portugese release - in fact "european" with english description on the box and some portugese label) doesn't have CD-check - I only need to choose full install and I can play without CD, while american release has cd-check. I don't know, maybe this aspect (with strong emphasis on "maybe") has something to do with "troublesomeness" of launching this game.

I've just tried to install it on my new PC (with Windows 8.1. 64 bit and GeForce GTX 960), but it's working without any issues, no need to choose compatibility mode.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I had this problem a while back! I think it might be an issue with a Logitech driver app (think like the stuff they want you to install for ~mouse features~) or it could be an issue with your virus scan, if it's not Windows Defender (I had been using AVG at the time, got rid of it, and the game started working again. If you are using AVG, I'd very strongly advise switching to defender.)

12. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

C:\Windows\System32
    Finding the Sonic 2006 E3 demo (not much though)
    Yes it is. I have played it Windows 10, 8, 8.1, and 7, and it always shows up in the Task Manager. Strange...