don't click here

Screen recording help needed.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Zeoinx, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

So me and a friend are trying to record Streets of Rage 2 and 3 using Windows 10, using OBS, and I keep getting this highly frustrating screen flicker effect.

Gens Emulator

Can anyone recommend how to do this in a easy way.

Also have D3DGear available to use, but that program refuses to engage when pressing record using the emulator.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I once wrote a tutorial about recording gameplay, you can find it here. I hope you can find it useful, and please don't mind the occasional obscure references to warnings and bans, I wrote that thing when I was a disliked moderator on SSRG.

3. Results are much better when you use the video capture feature of the emulator itself (if the emulator you're using doesn't have it, find one that does), which will always result in smooth 60fps video, because each emulated frame goes directly to the video file. When you use an external tool, there might be dropped frames and other issues, because the emulator is sending frames to the video memory, from where the capture utility will fetch the image, and all this will happen at much higher resolutions (the emulator window is scaled and possibly filtered, the monitor uses a high resolution, etc.) than the small 320x224 pictures that would be used for direct output, so the chances of something not being able to catch up every once in a while are much higher, and the resulting video will be choppier.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Have you tried any other emulator while using OBS? If flickering still happens, then you may have too much of a high settings enabled on OBS.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Use Kega Fusion internal recording tool, works the best.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    ^

I personally use Gens because I can record inputs without any real overhead, and then record AVI afterwards; but an emulator's direct capture will always beat something like OBS.

7. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

thnx guy, Ill try it out soonish when I get some free time

8. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

Tried using Kega's AVI recorder, didnt even record the video, had black screen, and maybe some lag inbetween audio, though I couldnt tell if I paused or not, and I couldnt find a in house recording option in my GENS emulator.

Tried lowering the rez of OBS recording, tried lowering the FPS Recordin from 60 to 40 and still got the retarded lag and complete freezing and teleporting of gameplay using GENS.

Im almost at wits end.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Kega's recorder uses a custom codec, which you will have to install to get the video to playback. It's meant as a stopgap: record with kega codec (really fast and lightweight), then convert to something else for distribution or whatever.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    As Covarr says, you need to install Kega's codec. Find the codec in the folder (I forget exactly where), right-click and select "install".

As for Gens, I'm using Gens Re-recording v11a; Tools -> AVI -> Start AVI dump to record.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    Kega's codec is a joke and you shouldn't be using it anyway.

Gens ReRecording is the way to go, but apparently the detailed tutorial in my first reply was completely ignored.

12. Kega's codec has worked really well for me. It's lossless, which makes it better than any other general purpose codec if you plan on processing the video before uploading (editing, scaling, etc., which is practically mandatory if you expect to get good quality on YouTube).

13. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

Honestly I misse that it was a different program. I thought you ment use the one in GENS. and I couldnt find it lol And I went onto the next reply. Ill try it out, also I tried to install that CODEX for the other one, and windows wouldnt let me saying some driver or whatever wasnt properly signed or something like that/

14. Don't you get an option to install the codec anyway? Windows had this weird notion that security = preventing the user from doing things, but that codec is safe and you can install it without problems even though Windows is complaining.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Man, I wish that one worked for me... Vegas refuses to open anything encoded in it, and I could never quite suss out why. Had to open it up in VirtualDub and convert it to another lossless format like lagarinth, which usually meant ballooning the file size up to a gigabyte or more. :\

16. nineko

nineko

italy
    All of this can be avoided by using a good codec (e.g. TSCC) with Gens ReRecording.