don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've never played the M2 ports. Does it implement online 2P, leaderboards or achievements?

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    It's "Clownacy"...

What? Sonic already rotates as he goes in a loop, but it's choppy. So why not make it better? Anyway, yes, the remaster could do things the original could only dream of, with things like good 3D and widescreen, but there's stuff that an old MD could have done, which wasn't. Things that could be done with a simple hack. We don't hack the remasters, be it out of respect or plain cluelessness, so that's why I favour emulation. That, and there are more platforms. As for MZ, right before the song loops, some completely new instrument starts playing.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Rotating pixel art is ugly as sin. Sonic's rotated sprites are specifically created for those angles.

Unless you use RotSprite, I guess. RotSprite's cool.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Personally I find most sprite rotation ugly. The only time I find it more acceptable is when the resolution is high and the sprites are large. There are some exceptions like the final boss in Sonic CD but I think that only gets a pass because the original was so shit.

5. Flygon

Flygon

Even then it depends. Gonna go out on a bit of a wild tangent and bring up Ragnarok Online. It gets away with all sorts of sprite rotation/distortion effects that'd look a bit tacky in purely 2D-games thanks to it's art style, and... other shenanigans.

Of course, you said most, not all. :v:

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, gentlemen, any plans on making Sonic 1, 2, and CD work with the new Apple TV that's coming out?

7. Android devices (Fire TV, Shield) made it possible to play Sonic 1 (2013) on the TV, but now you can also do this with the Apple TV 4th generation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197925

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Still waiting for the PS3/PS4 version :colbert:

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To be honest I was hoping the bump would be relating to release on other platforms. Ah well, maybe some day.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well the fact it's still supported at all is a good sign at the very least.

11. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Sorry if this was asked before, but did anyone try playing Sonic 1 or Sonic 2 with Bluestacks?

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Yeah it plays perfect for me.

13. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic CD will also be coming to Apple TV later this month.

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/03/17/sonic-the-hedgehog-is-now-available-on-apple-tv/

14. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Just letting SEGA know that I'm still willing after 3 years to still buy Sonic 1 and 2 on Steam.

Hell why has SEGA not given the greenlight to do this?

15. So current gen options are only Sonic CD on Xbox One and Sonic 1 on Apple TV, huh? Would kind of like them to just get the catalog out there in one place. I wonder how hard it would to redo more of their classic catalogs properly, not just Sonic

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic CD is on PC as well, and it's on PlayStation Now so it's technically on PS4 as well.

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    On that note, has there been any discussions about these two being brought to Steam at all? I'm definitely in the boat of wanting this to happen.

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, I was playing Sonic 1 earlier today. And I was wondering. Is there any way to hack the save file to allow you to normally access the 7th Special Stage and thus get Super Sonic, or is that only available in the no-save cheat mode?

Also, what's the best path for playing these on PCs nowadays? I'm thinking I might stream them for my annual Sonic marathon this year. The ANDY emulator runs them okay, but not at 60FPS, and the sound lags pretty hard. Bluestacks had worse performance last time I tried it, but at least the sound matched.

19. ProwlerX

ProwlerX

NOX seems work for me pretty well! Easy setup too.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    In the very first version of the game, you could get the 7th Emerald saved in the normal mode. I've forgotten how to do it, but it's probably somewhere in this thread! I think you had to enter the cheat, get a game over in no save mode and then return to save mode.
    I'm not sure if it works in later versions of the game. (I never updated as I quite like having Super Sonic in save mode).