don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

32 pages for a 25th anniversary one-shot is pretty terrible. I wish it was more, to be honest.

2. I thought there were going to be multiple issues.

3. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

No, that would be too cool and make sense. Archie has to print more of the Archie reboot because they're in debt. So no super cool Classic Sonic on-going story for you.

4. It would be nice but I am overjoyed it's happening at all

5. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Who knows, maybe they're testing the waters with this. I mean, it's not unusual for a comic book company to release a special, see its reception, and then move forward with bigger plans. I would love an ongoing to spin off from here. I'd even be ok with the occasional Sonic Universe arc taking place in the world they establish.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Wasn't that essentially how the Knuckles comics evolved from a 3-issue-special to a full side-series of comics way back then?

7. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I know this says "one-shot" absolutely everywhere that you read about it, but then why is it called "Sonic Mega Drive #1" if it's a stand-alone comic? The "#1" really looks like an issue number to me, implying that it's part of a series (unless I'm being incredibly dense, which is entirely possible).

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That's normal for one-shots. They always have an issue number even when there's only a single issue. Old Sonic one-shots did this as well:

[​IMG]

9. Damn it Tim, let us hope and dream :v:

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Don't worry, with this much hype, there's no way this will end up being anything shorter than a mini-series.

Barring any logistical issues that could possibly arise behind the scenes, of course.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    It's called #1 because companies always call the first of a new series #1, even if said new series only has one issue. That's just standard from even before the collector's hype that led everyone to want tons of #1s.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It makes sense, when you think about it. Even for a one-shot, it gives them an opening to make more later on if they want to.

13. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    So, it's basically a standard thing that I didn't know about (I'm not very familiar with how these things work, honestly). Thanks for clearing that up!

I still want to believe that we'll get more than one, though ;P Who knows, maybe we will if this one proves to be really popular.

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/709473225470820353
    [quotename="Archie Comics"]Super Sonic Wednesdays!
    SONIC #279 - 3/23
    SONIC UNIVERSE #83 - 3/30
    SONIC SUPER DIGEST #16 - 4/6
    SONIC #280 - 4/13[/quote]
    Looks like they plan to speed the releases up slightly to make up for the past few months.

15. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

You know what still bugs me about the Sonic comics? We never got a satisfying conclusion to the Mecha Sally problem. It was just "lol, the Genesis wave in Worlds Collide fixed it." I hate that because I feel Flynn most likely had a really good solution to it, but thanks to Penders, the crossover fixed it. When I first started regularly picking up the Sonic comics starting with 226, what got me to keep reading after the Genesis arc was finished, was the fact that Mecha Sally happened and how that would play out, and then all the other events that followed. The crossover also erased Ixis Nagus taking over Geoffrey St. John, which also seemed interesting. Did that bug anyone else? That there was no satisfying conclusion to Mecha Sally?

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Supposing Ian ever updates Lost Hedgehog Tales, we'll find out what was supposed to happen.

17. It bugs us all to varying degrees. Even people who don't care for the direction they were going HATE that Penders is so hellbent on fucking the comic up at every possible turn.

18. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've got the same thoughts about those, and in fact almost all other major and minor threads. After this Genesis wave mess I've lost completely feeling of "continuity", and this "new world" maybe wouldn't be bad by itself (even if I don't like some aspects of it), but it's not a separate being... Eh, can't say that I like it, I don't like unfinished threads, especially the interesting ones.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya it was a shame. Flynn spent years fixing the shit of his predecessors, making a world closer to the games but still it's own world. And after all that it's gone.

Geoffrey st. John being possessed by naugus, mecha sally, bunny defecting, we won't see them end.

I like the new continuity too just a shame how it came about. Also weird that the first thing they did was an unleashed adaption. But the new universe brought us a snively revival, breezie, some cool game/other media hybrids (Sonic 2 GG plus aosth was genius), and gave angel island some much needed simplification. It's a shame what we lost but what we have now is good too IMO (I don't like rotor or antoines redesigns though, they were different that was the point. Rotor isn't supposed to be buff and antoines no longer has his general garb)

20. Unfortunately, they're homogenizing these characters in their attempts to make everyone look like they would if they ever actually appeared in a Sonic game, which I know some fans must think is the smartest thing you could do, but... we liked this other world, on its own terms, for a reason.