don't click here

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project v1.0 Available

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Have you ever thought about making them 2D levels?

2. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Not really, because the geometry would have to be designed in a specific way to account for 2D camera viewing; plus I wouldn't have nearly the kind of time to implement something which would take that kind of work. Porting the levels in and making them traversable isn't a huge nuisance, the question is just whether people would rather have that than the Classic-in-Modern stuff.

3. Paraxade

Paraxade

Classic in Modern would be more interesting IMO, the night stages weren't particularly interesting in Unleashed and they'd be less so with most of the content gone (given that just about none of it would carry over to Generations).

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'd rather the night stages, but I'm not hugely interested either way. Classic in Modern stages isn't fun at all cause of the big difference in mobility and controls. But Classic in Werehog stages would at least have the novelty of including new stages. Yeah they'll be shallow and missing a great deal of content, but it would be more worthwhile than Classic in Modern.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Yikes, there's definitely a split, so I'm probably gonna run a video with a poll on the channel sometime in the future. Personally I would be interested in seeing the Night stages purely to explore them in the new engine; I didn't find Classic in Modern all that interesting either for the reasons Blue Blood stated, but I can't speak for everyone, so I think a poll would be best.

In other news, after a bunch of shenanigans at home delaying me, I'm getting back to work on polishing the next stages. Expect a new vid either today or tomorrow.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Personally, I'm of the opinion "whichever gives you the least bit of trouble or annoyance," but, that may just be me.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm along the line of "It's your project, do what makes you happy." If you don't want to do something don't do it since you're the one putting the work into this. We can bitch all we want but yea, this is your brain child. :eng101:

8. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Hahaha, I appreciate it guys, but since I'm making this for the enjoyment of the community, I'd rather know what the community prefers. That said, if I'm being too in-your-face about it, let me know.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This too.

Like, do whatever it was you wanted to do in the first place. If you decide you want to do anything else, then go for it. But ultimately it's your project. Fuck the rest of us.

10. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah, I'm in agreement with that as well :P I don't really feel strongly about it either way, the modern stages are going to be the main attraction here.

11. Truner

Truner

Classic in Modern really doesn't work. In that sense, the night stages would be better, but... perhaps just focus on getting all the modern stages in first? I'd personally like to see the Wii stages properly ported to Generations, but I don't see that happening, ever.

12. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
  13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I think the real problem would be setting up the camera. The geometry can be left as is, the camera just needs to change on every curve of the main pathway. Also, even if the camera passed through solid poligons, they're invisible from the inside out. But even then, yeah it would be a lot of work and the levels wouldn't be that fun. I'm imagining just a lot of 'enemy' sections from Sonic Rush but at night

Anyway GJ with your work. I'm waiting for more remixes :P

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I don't really do much of that anymore, but I'd prefer we keep on-topic anyway.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Aww, no S0LV0 remixes?! darn.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I request that you do night stages but implement fishing and change Classic Sonic to Big.
    Actually I think I was pretty hype for the Classsic/Night stages when it was first suggested. Although I'm not going to be the one playing the mod so don't mind me.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://youtu.be/fqDmXJ0GABI
    The new complaint of the week is that I'm not using mission slots for all the stages, which literally isn't possible since their functionality is hard-coded. However, for stages like this, the transition is seamless.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I was curious how are you getting all these levels in? Are you using both act 1 and 2 for each level? Still feel like that comes short though.

19. Paraxade

Paraxade

It's not really that simple, for a bunch of reasons. The camera would still need to pass through a solid wall to get behind those polygons in the first place, which would be very visible, and generally walls aren't perfectly even and smooth so some bits and pieces of geometry would be visible from behind it. Plus there might be unoptimized geometry where there actually are polygons facing inwards towards the wall, or other little pieces of scenery like plants or fences lining the wall that would get in the way of the camera. It really wouldn't work without geometry modifications.

Melpontro and I tried this with Wave Ocean a few years back and he had to make quite a few changes to the geometry; for example, near the beginning of the level there's a cave and he had to get rid of one of the walls of the cave so the player could still see Sonic without the camera going through anything.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS