don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
  2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I would prefer full CGI, because otherwise Eggman would look... actually how would he look? =P

And if Chris Thorndyke is in this movie then just shoot me now.

4. I'm in the very minority that likes Chris so I wouldn't mind seeing him in it.

5. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    [​IMG]
    "Humanity."
    "What?"
    You say "Oh the Humanity" at tragedies like this.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I just don't understand why the live-action part is still playing into this. If it was a pure CG film so Marza could really show what they can do (seriously, if they just recycled the Sonic Unleashed intro, I wouldn't even be mad), I would have no trepidation whatsoever.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Unless they scrap the live-action angle completely and make it a wholly (CG) animated film, I really don't have any faith in this project. Especially with Original Film and Sony at the production/distribution helm of things. Scriptwriter Van implied on Twitter SSMB that he's not going for the cheap adaptation route (read: Smurfs, Alvin, Garfield, etc.) but I wouldn't be surprised if executive meddling kicked in and retooled it from a decent adaptation to something more in line with Dragonball Evolution (speaking of which, that's exactly what happened with that project).

Best case scenario I can think of if the film continues down this route is that we get something deliberately cheesy or so bad it's good, like the Super Mario Bros. film (which the Sonic Twitter handle/Ruby coincidentally mentioned :v:) or the Van Damme/Raul Julia Street Fighter film.

9. DSE

DSE

France
  10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not sure how the Wikileaks leaks indicate anything about the movie's quality.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Did someone in the entertainment industry seriously think the character is called "Sonic The Hedge Dog"? If it was a lesser known entity I could almost understand it, but this is SONY. All but a few Sonic games have appeared on their consoles.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    To be fair...

actually I can't see any way to defend that.

13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

You had something going with that meddling, and you messed up with the Dragon Ball Evolution. Evolution had no meddling. They just had a bad script. All that happened was Toriyama was like "Hey, you guys should be doing x instead of y. That works better with my characters." and the higher ups ignored them. Now, if you'd talked about the recent Amazing Spider-Man movies and how those were awful and 2 had all those villains, and then all those "easter eggs" with the Sinister Six movie, then it would make sense. Sony wanted a big team movie like Avengers and all that BS. They wanted more villains, more stupid bullshit, and the only reason they did that was because they had Marc Webb. An amateur director. Whereas Sam Raimi, wasn't having it and left before 4 and was mad that 3 was shitty because Avi Arad and the execs just fucking needed Venom in the movie.

OT: A Sonic live action/theatrical movie in general just seems so weird. Like I mean, it's 2016. This would have made sense years ago, or in like the 90s when Sonic was popular. Just seems weird timing wise.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Live action/CG hybrid movies are always bad.

I don't want to live to the day where I see: "THIS SUMMER, IT'S SONIC IN THE BIG CITY", where Sonic enters a portal to the real world, so he and Professional Guest Rapper Pitbull share a duplex in Brooklyn, going on wacky, zany, adventures, dancing to the hits and doing the thing from the trailer, giving a child the power to believe in himself, saving a kitten from a tree, until the climax, where nothing happens and everyone leaves the theatre with a straight face because they were once again conned into watching all that they once loved get sent to Valhalla in just the saddest, most depraved way.

Why can't any beloved franchise have an honorable death? I mean, sure, it all really is just corporate, golden ratio-adhering, anthropomorphic forms made of simple shapes and primary colors to mindlessly entertain the proletariat youth en masse, so as to create a nostalgic subculture, securing continued patronage into adulthood, perhaps even passing the torch onto the next generation for increased revenue, but Jesus shit come up with something original, or at least, derivative, instead of milking existing IPs to death, will ya? I need a fucking drink, my run on sentences are getting more rambley.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Because Nintenhaven't... well, that didn't work.

But until Mario dies off, which won't be happening any time soon as it's still going strong, I don't think the Sonic franchise wants to die. It's like admitting defeat after all these years. They've admitted defeat in the console market, but for a beloved mascot, they just can't... they just can't give up! Must... keep... trying...

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt for this movie until we actually see anything about it. Van did say they're not going for something like Smurfs or Chipmunks, and going by their past (and future) work they would more likely want to parody those kinds of movies rather than actually make one of those.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What you mean you guys don't want a film about Sonic and friends being warped to NY and teaming up with will Smith to stop dr. Robotnik who is working with Danny devito to take over the city?

It'd be an epic of the ages

18. I would pay serious wedge to see this.

19. Ink

Ink

Homicidal Echidna Oldbie
    Shamelessly c&p'ing my comment on yesterday's article here on Retro:

I so wish they'd gone full-cgi. Live-action with some CGI characters is almost impossible to do without becoming something even fans point and laugh at (see: Garfield, Smurfs, Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles crack baby…).

Doug Walker did a great piece on CGI in his Nostalgia Critic series (https://youtu.be/blpzlFrswbQ). Basically he pointed out that when CGI was new, our collective minds were blown with movies like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. But a few decades later, we've become trained to spot it–that movement was a little too fluid, that face just a bit too uncanny valley–and people are getting tired of the pure glut of CGI everywhere we look. Now there's a big push to bring back practical effects (I.e. Star Wars) because what was once a technical marvel now looks laughably fake.

As much as I love Sonic and would love to see him on the big screen (aside from cameos, although yes, I did giggle like a hyper little kid when I spotted him in Wreck-It Ralph), I just can't hold out much hope for a hybrid film. I'd have a lot more confidence in either full CGI, a la Wreck-It Ralph (which was a delight), or better yet, good old-fashioned 2D animation.

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    A couple of names have been thrown around here- Specifically Garfield, and Dragonball Evolution.
    Dragonball, I can see the flak towards it. but I watch it just a couple days ago and... I didn't think it was horrible, so I'll move on.
    with Garfield, I don't understand what people's problems are: it does a fine job of characterization, enough comedy, and a plot that's fine & faithful to the characters and source material alike. feel free to point out it's "flaws". but honestly, I could go for a take on line with Garfield because it would give us good characterization, a sonic equivalent of comedy, and be faithful with characters and source material.
    out of all the names thrown around (Spider-Man, which my opinion on is "I like every movie", Alvin and the Chipmunks, Garfield, Dragonball and Smurfs), the only one I haven't seen is Smurfs, and the rest I have enjoyed to some extent. I just can't in good faith throw around the phrases "this movie is bad" or "this movie is good", if I enjoy it, I want to say "I liked X, Y, and Z I could have done without" and recommend it in that way.
    the only real way I can see this movie going in my mind is people will like it and people will hate it. I myself have different tastes than someone else, so if someone else doesn't like what I think I'm going to like, I just ignore them and watch it for myself.