don't click here

SA2/SADX Mod Loader

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 4, 2013.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm using the retail version released shortly after the Gamecube version if that helps. Also it's a European release.

I've placed the ModLoader folder inside the Program Files section the game's files are loaded, unless they need to be assorted in some way.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Well, you'll need the US sonic.exe, but that couldn't be causing the mod manager to crash...

Could you paste the details of the error here?

Just to be perfectly clear, if you have SADX installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Sonic Adventure DX" (or wherever it is), that folder has sonic.exe and SADXModManager.exe, and a mods folder with SADXModLoader.dll in it, and a system folder with CHRMODELS.DLL in it?

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, thanx for that.

"start index cannot be larger than length of string
    Parameter name: startindex."

Oh, well, the setup is right except for it being the standard Program Files instead of the (x86) folder, which I don't seem to have.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yeah... I wanted more than that. There should be a "Details" button on the dialog.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The SADX and SA2 mod loaders now allow the attribute patch="true" to be applied to Code elements in code XML files, which causes the codes marked as patches to be saved to a separate Patches.dat file, which the mod loader will load and execute one time, rather than running them every frame like a normal code.

Edit: Fixed bug that caused crashes with codes enabled.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Whoops sorry about that. Here:

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You don't have a "mod.ini" file in the "mods" folder, do you? All the mods are in separate subfolders? And you don't have anything like a symlink in there?

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah that's made some progress.

I think I see a possible problem. One of the necessary files is labelled differently. The CHARLABELS file is called CHARLABELS_orig so it's not recognising it. I could alter it but worry that could cause issues with the game recognising it then. What do you think?

EDIT: It's also saying I now lack the file BASS.dll as well.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    bass.dll is included with the mod loader, so I don't see how you could be missing it, unless you didn't extract all the files from the 7z. If you have both CHRMODELS.DLL and CHRMODELS_orig.DLL, then the mod loader has already been installed. Whether you do or don't, renaming the CHRMODELS_orig.DLL file to CHRMODELS.DLL will cause the mod loader to be uninstalled and the game will run normally.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, whoops, I see now. Did some cleaning up after my hap hazardous setting up of the program.

Well either way, I lack the CHRMODELS.dll it is asking for.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You can either rename CHRMODELS_orig.DLL to CHRMODELS.DLL, or copy mods\SADXModLoader.dll to system\CHRMODELS.DLL.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay now I've done that, I'm getting this error message and the game refuses to load:

"The procedure entry point GetLogicialProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link entry KERNEL32.dll."

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Sounds like you're using a version of Windows older than XP SP3. The SADX Mod Loader can't run on versions of Windows that old.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah that makes sense. I tend to use an old PC not internet connected for most of my hacking projects to be safe (security packages like Norton keep considering them viruses :P). Microsoft seems to have all these packages for free. Would you advise just installing SP3 or should I just use one of my newer laptops?

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you plan on running it with mipmaps, HQ textures, and at super-high resolution, you may want a newer PC. Otherwise, your old one should be able to handle it.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well I tried installing SP3 and it has officially destroyed my old computer. :P

I decided to just try on my newer laptop and viola it works! :D Tried Windy Valley Beta, lots of fun, though I can see why they turned it down, easy to get lost. Out of curiosity was the Tails AI/boost rings programming part of the Autodemo or created personally?

The game sure does chug on the laptop though. I know they have less power than full computers but I would have expected a fairly recent Windows 8 laptop to better match an over decade old Windows XP PC.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Both of the Mod Managers now require .NET 4.0, which shouldn't affect anything except that people on Windows 8+ won't have to install .NET 3.5 anymore. The SADX Mod Manager now uses SharpDX instead of Managed DirectX, which... I don't know what that means for you guys, aside from two extra DLLs in the download.

18. I wish we had a really simple list of all the mods people make and functional download links. This is such a wonderful tool, but the annoying part is digging around the internet for worthwhile hacks.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Even if such a list existed, I wouldn't be able to force everyone to put all their mods on it.

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Actually, maybe there could be some sort of feature to include a list through the Mod Loader. People would place a link in the INI, and maybe through a checkbox allow it to be included on the list.
    But that would also probably require moderation to ensure no one links to Mobius Unleashed or something. or just extreme trust.