don't click here

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Am I the only person who realized this might as well have become Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Puyo Puyo (a 1991 game) became Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

3. Brainulator

Brainulator

Perhaps they were combined. Either way, they're Sonic match-3 games.

4. Tanks

Tanks

No... Puyo Puyo has it's own storied history where it started out on Microsoft and Nintendo consoles and eventually ended up being exclusively with Sega since... 98ish? This SegaSonic Bros.-Cleopatra's Fortune is a whole other thing with Taito sounds like, or at the very least MTJ.

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

That's what I get for bringing this up on a podcast last night, news about this is moving so quick it's already out of date haha.
    Still pretty excited to see what this will be like, especially if it is like Cleopatra Fortune as it sounds. Perfect point that if this was indeed a Bubble Bobble style game it would be very unlikely to have failed a loc test!

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Oh. Either way, I guess Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was a Sonic match-3-ish game that took inspiration from a scrapped game?

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm thinking you need to go out and brush up on your history - the only thing these two games have in common is that they both derive from the falling block movement of Tetris.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    No, Mean Bean Machine is literally a game that has nothing to do with Sonic at all that they reskinned into a Sonic game for western audiences. Like how Doki Doki Panic was turned into Super Mario Bros 2 in the west.

Not like it's possible for Puyo Puyo to be inspired by SegaSonic Bros. Aside from it not being much like it (with the exception of it being about falling blocks), the original Puyo Puyo was released in 1991.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

Well I'm undereducated. Oh well.

10. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Like SegaSonic Popcorn Shop, would love to see these graphics ripped soon.

11. Motwera

Motwera

Interesting.

But I really think he should make a short video if he does not dump it if he has difficulty doing it.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Let's just not put any pressure on him, and let him do his stuff at the pace he desires...

13. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Again, this is ShouTime we're talking about. I'm quite certain he'll get it sent out to be dumped soon enough.

14. :specialed:

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Has anyone archived the posts on it-tells? Cause they've since been removed.

EDIT: Nevermind, the link in Kenjoh Kohji's tweet doesn't work for some reason. This one does.

EDIT 2:
    https://twitter.com/HG_101/status/696143924994424832
    https://twitter.com/HG_101/status/696144006003216384

That's interesting.

16. Tanks

Tanks

That... Sounds pretty outlandish... I mean I don't want to rudely call bullshit, seeing as he knew it was a type of puzzle game and that's more than any of use knew until a few days ago, but playing with severed sonic heads? Just seems like a really strange design to me, even if it was an early concept.

17. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    No more outlandish than Sonic's severed head being placed inside a CRT TV/monitor giving you an extra life.

18. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Is it any stranger than finding decapitated classic Sonic heads in the grass of modern City Escape in Generations? :v:/>
    I'm just imagining it like any other on-screen icon, like a 1-Up monitor without the monitor itself.

Edit: Shadow Hog beat me to it.

19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I imagine it could be sonic's rolling animation, where one frame is a solid sphere

[​IMG]

20. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    SEVERED SONIC HEADS... THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN... oh wait...

[​IMG]