don't click here

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    THIS. Most of you probably know this already, but it's best to go over it again when we're on the cusp of something.

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Unfortunately it seems that message didn't travel outside Retro...

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yeah, Assembler forum already has people acting like idiots about this. What can you do, though? :rolleyes:

I just hope the early teasing without an immediate release doesn't backfire due to unwanted attention from Sega or something.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    G.Silver on The GHZ (yes, we are still around) posted this extract which came from the March 1992 edition of EGM:

Also, in 1992, Mr Kanari, the forgotten (non?)creator of Sonic talked about expanding Sonic's family in the games:

(It's a translation from a French magazine.) Perhaps SegaSonic Bros was part of that thinking.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know its just translation goof but wat? :v:

6. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Whoa, this is amazing!! Just when we tought we had all major Sonic related mysteries solved BOOM! this appears from nowhere!
    Goddamm, this is what keeps me being a Sonic fan!

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Good point. Updated the first post.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Annoyingly the March 1992 edition of EGM has yet to be scanned (though I think it's in a queue at Retromags? Ask me in a month or two's time).

However, from what I can gather this is part of EGM's "Gaming Gossip" segment - the bit written by a character EGM created called Quartermann.

Much of the time this segment is wrong. It's built on rumour, rumours in the gaming industry from around this period tend to be correct 50% of the time. Theoretically you could be given a blurry screenshot of SegaSonic Arcade and assume Ray and Mighty are different colours of Sonic - it's not entirely inconcievable.

But I have to stress, SegaSonic Arcade is a much later invention. It was first shown to the world at Summer CES 1993, in June 1993, I.e. 15 months later.

So basically I think it's safe to say it's a real thing. If that turns out not to be the case, the lad needs an award for the most elaborate gaming hoax I've ever seen.

9. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing more on this :-)

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Since I doubt people will read this and propagate it, he has a good track record of releasing stuff in due time as he says. It'll drop when it drops, so it's just a patience game. The fact a collector is willing to dump something is already rare, since most think dumping the data devalues their cart. The only real risk of dumping is if you have an inexperienced person handle it and damage the board.

I mean, data decay is a thing and there's a good chance in 20 years, most prototypes from the '80s and early '90s will be rendered useless husks of silicon and copper.

11. Ha, nice! This looks mega. I played SEGAsonic a few times in Bournemouth when I was a kid. Fun times! I'm hoping it's a 2D affair with loads of gorgeous new level art.

Patiently waiting for a video :)

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    SHIT! My cover is blown! 13 years, I had a good run! Bye! *leaves community forever*

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Guys this is sonic dimensions, it was under our nose the entire time

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    You know the Sonic franchise has fallen hard when the most exciting thing to happen is the discovery of a title screen picture of an obscure game prototype that's about literal recolors.
    + - I'm just poking fun of course.  

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So... What are we naming them? :v:

16. Tamashii

Tamashii

Fulfilled Collector Member
    Pereira, CO
    Sonic Network Crash
    Official literal recolors.
    I've been happily surprised today, guys.
    Let's hope Shou releases more data soon.

[EDIT #1]Wait, wait... Now it makes more sense to paste the Sega name in "Sonic Bros", than on "SegaSonic the Hedgehog"[/EDIT]

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Mighty the Hedgehog and Ray the Hedgehog.

Which is which is a mystery though.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Red the hedgehog and Edge the hedgehog

19. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I have those pages and it says "une petite amie" so it should be translated as "girlfriend"...

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    English speakers tend to have trouble with understanding the romance languages all pack gendered words/grammar since that's not a thing to them.

Kinda like explaining the difference between fiancé and fiancée, or blond and blonde.