don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    To be fair, this is still an early build. He's just proud of how it's coming out so far and tbh I am too, lol.

Most things Lange mentioned are on the to-do list (refining movement, slope interaction, camera movement, etc) and aren't going to be skimmed over.

2. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    We aren't close to feature parity with UDK. Not even a fraction of the way. What's there is just what we've been playing with.

On the to do list is to make proper slope interaction beyond just making it traversable since all it is currently doing is altering gravity to stick sonic to terrain. The camera is an issue that we have to solve as Lange correctly detected that you have to rely on it for turning and movement. Along with the movement its basically U4's default third person controls with a few tweaks until we pin something down that is comparable to the adventure style. A lot of the crap that is floating around the stage was to basically test how shit works in Unreal 4. It's so early I didn't want to show anything but Ricardo does whatever he wants. :specialed:

3. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    To show how customisable HDK is, this needs to be watched.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Mrh086PUo[/youtube]

Having played this and the HDK Tech Demo I can say they're totally different, the Jam stage has much tighter controls and is generally more enjoyable to play with with Sonic being slower. HDK has a long way to go, definitely, but that level of customisation should interest people.

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    An imported map and tweaked controls describes very little customization.
    Technically it's as customizable as UE4 is, but in terms of what the engine offers directly, that isn't saying much.

5. winterhell

winterhell

I'm impressed at how much people keep getting impressed by the tools.

Maybe I should try punching 5 random numbers in Terragen and take a screenshot and say I made it.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I know Ricardo modelled the entirety of the Jam stage from scratch - it's not imported.

He knows what is missing, what needs to be improved and it is very much work in progress. Slopes and the like is on the list. Everything about HDK is work in progress.

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I can see it was manually created. The point is that making and adding in a map is not a testament to the capability of the engine, at least not any more than what's been already shown.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    And I'm not sure why the first reaction to getting a video that shows a work in progress engine is a list of things wrong with it and how much it can't do, as if it's the final showcase of the engine's capabilities. Especially if the creator of it has acknowledged that they have much more to do, at that.

And if this is because I shown the engine as if I was proud of his work, then sorry if I'm impressed with something that isn't the utmost greatest thing ever upon first sight? He's making progress and it looks good. Jeez louise people.

9. winterhell

winterhell

What I see from the video is a hud, behaviour on a flat land and half a dozen object types. Every object can be coded with few lines of code
    pseudo code for the spring
    Code (Text):
    1. override OnCollide(Event e)
    2. {
    3. e.collider.vel.y=-12;
    4. }
    Basically no more than an afternoon's work.

The rest in the video is the example content- the models for the objects, the character and the arrangement of cubes for the level. This might have taken more than an afternoon to make, especially the Sonic model and animations(right?)

Everything else might as well be the default UE4 settings.
    Yes it sounds harsh, and yes it does look like that.
    We've seen this 'engine test' a dozen times on UE3, DarkBASIC,Blitz3D, UE4, Unity3D, CryEngine 3 and others.
    Same checkered terrain with huge empty spaces, same monitor boxes next to each other. How does it differ from the rest?

I'd take notes from Sonic 06 PC Remake, Sonic Fan Remix and AXSX for starters.

And please please don't make an 'engine' or a development kit. Make a game, and if people like it then you can strip the engine part.

The Sonic Jam World Remix is a good direction, keep it up.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    You're getting mad at us because we gave fair criticism to an engine you were incapable of seeing as very underdeveloped because you were blinded by how cool it looks? I don't understand what you're trying to say here, and it doesn't help you're rushing to extremes with that irrational "SORRY IT ISN'T THE GREATEST THING EVER" kind of talk.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not even close to mad, lol.

You and winterhell have left some pretty insightful and valid stuff to say, and I don't disagree with nearly any of it. Thing is, whatever you guys have said I and others have already said to him before, and it's on the to-do list. And yeah me saying that isn't going to change your view on any of this until there's hard proof, I get that too. Neither do I expect you too. :v

I'm just saying that I'm not one to diss something immediately with a laundry list of it's mechanical / presentation problems that don't meet your standards until it's done laying out it's foundations. Because, you know, it's not! For example, I wouldn't run in and do this to any old Game Maker Sonic engine that's super early in development, and neither would I do it to a few of the Unity projects out there either. Now if they had more-than-questionable design decisions and priorities then yeah that's something, but still.

Anyways, not knocking your crits.

That's the plan more than anything. Or at least that was the initial idea.

12. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Any standards really. A partially modified third person control package does not qualify for much of anything, even if Sonic themed assets are added in.

I would, if it touts features it doesn't really have and doesn't make clear that it's very early.

Edit: Haha post #1000. A little more anticlimactic than I would've hoped.

13. Pulse0

Pulse0

NYC (Currently)
    Sonic Neo Genesis
    Does anyone have some actual Screen shots to post? This is a rather dead topic when it comes to visual updates and it sucks to check here (daily) and note the only consistent post here is some kind of a back and forth mild argument about a actual update/screen shot post that happened one or two days ago.
    SAGE was supposed to be this week and I know there are people here that could have at least shown a screen shot or two of progress, or an Update or SOMETHING...

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] There you go

15. Pulse0

Pulse0

NYC (Currently)
    Sonic Neo Genesis
    that sonic classic 2? for some reason those shots look familiar

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Yep, it even says "SC2" in the header.
    Those are lookin good, by the way.

17. winterhell

winterhell

The background looks amazing.
    The gradient's dithering stands out a bit, so if possible please improve that.

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Oh hey you used those Aqua Planet 16-bit sprites that DerZocker made and I worked on a bit like 5 years ago. Good to see those tiles go to use and remixing them into a snow level is a great idea. The little city might look great recolored in the background between the mountains and clouds too.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    that isn't too bad of an idea either.

20. KOHCTPYKTOP

KOHCTPYKTOP

United States
    Sonic Realms

I've been working on an engine in Unity. It's veery rough around the edges, but after putting in a few more weeks of love maybe people can make use of it.

edit: forgot to say, it's open source