don't click here

Sonic OVA 2 - fan film

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RazoZen, Dec 28, 2015.

1. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    I like how a thread about unintentionally creepy Sonic fan cartoons completely spiraled off into a serious discussion of what Sonic characters' feet look like. Never change, guys <3

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I didn't like the first trailer much but liked the cameos from the Sonic OVA characters. The second trailer was great though. I look forward to this movie.

3. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    I ended up reading the whole thread before watching both trailers. You guys really overhyped how bad it was, it wasn't nearly earth-shatteringly terrible.

That being said, the first trailer was....okay. The second trailer was reasonably worse with he weird slow movements (with no squash/stretch slow in/out and all that). But I was expecting something consistently bad, not something that's at least consistent.

Yes, they have feet. No, they're not on model (because Sonic characters don't have toes), but they're feet. I don't understand the hubbub?

It's not professional, but if they finish it I'd probably at least watch it. It's not THAT bad.

4. By watching it there is a clear emphasis on "hey look at the different feet designs" (see every shot that places focus on their feet for no fucking reason except for what I just stated).

Also the style in all honesty I don't find horrible (albeit if they were really trying to make a "true successor", this is way off the damn mark), but echoing what others have said, the animations lack any sort of energy and they all appear very stiff.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Second trailer is a marked improvement. Those models are immaculate. I love the facial animation, probably the closest anyone's come to realizing the original expression sheets. Clearly the reason they opted for rotoscoping, though they surely would've saved some time just cel shading everything else. The actual problem here is that this team set out to animate Sonic and somehow didn't begin with an action scene. The comparison to Richard Kuta sounded really mean at first, but when dudes come out of the woodwork reviving niche branches of the franchise with fixations so far removed from the source material? That's weird. Excess fandom. I'm honestly floored at the quality, people with that much discipline tend to invest their time more wisely.

Sexy Knuckles Baywatch shot at 1:48, though

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    By the way, the videos have English subtitles that you can turn on. You can't just watch it without also seeing the incrediby cringey writing.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    For the first clip, the dialogue reads like some Russian idioms were being used that don't exactly flow when translated. The dialogue and voice acting in the second sound perfectly natural to me. Cute, even ("You thought you'd kill a robot with a shoe?"). You guys need to unwind. Go back and watch that Eddie Lebron film.

8. Blades

Blades

I don't know if you do, but I speak Russian fluently and the translation is actually pretty accurate. The humor really is very weird.

Also feet.

EDIT: Oh my god. These people really love Sonic.

9. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Even though I can't understand Russian, that cover sounds really good. I thinks maybe that this is their talent over sequels to OVA's lol

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx64CQuFNgs[/media] Look a like cover =P

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Not feeling that "Can You Feel the Sunshine" cover. She sounds like she's straining a few too many places, but the "Look a Like" cover sounds absolutely spot-on.

Russian Sonic music covers. Can't say that's a corner of the fandom I ever thought I would become acquainted with.

11. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    The quote from one of the authors about the second teaser:

12. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've watched these two trailers and I've got to admit, that it's quite unusual and interesting approach with making "separate" animation with dialogs etc for announcing the project (usually there are some short fragments of actual project with some simple watchwords). Although lack of version with english dubbing is narrowing potencial circle of interested (subtitles are rather not helping there too much, of course they're useful for people who don't know russian language, but for "wider audience" non-english voices can be something which won't encourage them to watch the movie). (edit: Ok, RazoZen linked english version of these two trailes, so my last remark is out of date).

This can be interesting. I know it will sound a bit strange, but despite recalling to "original" OVA, I have hope that it won't share (too much) in common with OVA . Because OVA was terrible. Because that cat-ears-girl (yes, I know, she is in the trailer :P). Because these juvenile and cheesy dialogues (ok, juvenile dialogs can be acceptable, but there is this delicate boarder, where you're feeling embarrased during listening them). I've watched about 11 minutes and gave up. And never tried to watch it again :colbert:

Graphics/style seems to be fine for me (even this cat-girl is looking a bit less toxic for my eyes than in OVA). Although these feets with sharp claws are not fitting (IMO) too well to, let's say "soft" models. Sonic characters were always for me (at least in classic appearances) look "soft", spikes of Sonic/Knuckles looked rather like fur or hairs, white gloves etc. And I can see this "soft" design also here, but these sharp fangs in second trailer don't compose too well. Yeah, I know it's a detail, but it caught my attention. And hey, I could finally Dr Robotnik's eyes outside glasses :))

It's hard to tell/comment something more, especially due to specific way of announcement, plot and many other things are shrouded with cloak of mystery. For now :)

Have hope that creators will have a lot of perseverance and patience to lead this project till the end. And that they will observe opinions/suggestions about their project.

13. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    English dubs:

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That was nearly impossible to listen to, sorry.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    To put it bluntly, being a project that's meant to look like an OVA, I wouldn't spend any further efforts towards trying to make rotoscoping work.

16. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    I can pretty much sum up my thoughts about this as an okay idea with great ambition towards it but the visualization is still in its infancy.

I hope that the creators persevere and exhibit patience and not succumb to the pressure of the anonymous right now because there's a foundation to be found in there for sure. If not then there's always bringing the original story and characters out.

17. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    Some test animations for the movie. This is how the animation will look in the final version.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That looks really good! If the full thing looks like that, I will have to give it a watch. :)

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This looks better, but you guys (not sure if I'm talking to a member of the team?) still have some research to do on the poses and proportions, so that this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will look more like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

Will look more like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Right now it "sometimes almost kinda" looks like the real thing.

You also have some work to do on the timing of Sonic's scene (right now it feels like a flipbook with constant speed, making the initial "take" not read as such) and maybe the silhouettes should read a bit better (I don't remember if this was a problem in the OVA, to begin with).

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'd say the bigger problem is that Sonic and Tails almost move around like feathers. There's more to animation than just how smoothly it's animated and staying on model. I mean, it's not exactly believable that Sonic could propel himself off the ground just by tapping the ground for a single frame. It's still not animated much better than a low budget 80s/90s PSA cartoon special.

The biggest problem really though is that going by the two teasers, these people aren't nearly skilled enough to make something that's nearly as good as the OVA. The OVA was by no means a masterpiece animation-wise, but it's still far more detailed, especially when it comes to the backgrounds. At best they could probably make something that'd be impressive by Newgrounds standards. The writing being about as good as the other thousands of bad Sonic fanfics doesn't help much either.

It also kinda seems like they're missing the point of what made the original OVA great. What made it great is that it took what was in the games, emulated that perfectly in an anime style and then added cool locations and such on top of that. If you played the games first and then watched the OVA, you could imagine that that's the world these characters would be in. And then the main highlight was that it was mainly just Sonic and friends doing cool shit. All of the plot and extra characters are there for excuses for Sonic to do cool shit, or for filler to make sure they don't go over the animation budget. You could remove all of the extra characters and plot and all you'd lose are maybe a few funny moments like Eggman and the anime girl playing a fighting game.

So when all the two teasers show is those characters from the OVA being there, doing not much more walking around and talking while gags happens with sound effects that seem to come from cartoons that are decades old cartoons, then I can't imagine it being much like the OVA at all.