don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yeah, I definitely agree with this. It's not Act 2's job to entirely retain the feel of Act 1's theme. It's true that this track deviates a bit less than Sonic 3's Act 2 mixes, but this is just the second act of a three-act zone. (Metropolis is also going to get an Act 3 remix, right? I would hope so.)

Also I think this is a really really good remix in general.

It's pretty hard to pick out that part as Gimmick Mountain except for those last two notes per section, but to be honest, even without that context, I think it lends a really neat cybernetic feeling to that section that sets it apart from Act 1 and works to escalate the tension during this middle act of the 3-act zone.

Maybe for the people that don't jive with it, there could be an option to only use Act 1 music, keeping it more in line with the original Sonic 2? That might be a good way to go about it, and it wouldn't be difficult to implement.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Maybe showing off an Act 2 variant without the Act 1 version for comparison wasn't the best idea? I dunno. I certainly like what I'm hearing. As an Act 2 it sounds very much in-line with what I'd expect. But yeah, agree with some others saying that it sounds like it's missing some instruments or something's wrong with the percussion. That's literally the best I can provide in terms of music feedback.

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Having spent a couple days listening to Mr. Ley's tracks I think he is pretty talented. Perhaps the drum samples are intended to sound 80's, as in that regard they do succeed. To go off his other work that seems reasonable. To me this song doesn't fit the atmosphere I envision Metropolis to have, BUT for all I know they may have some concept art or assets and other artistic flares which might fit the song quite well. I'm basically reserving a decision at this time, I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Ley attempt another version. Frankly, I have never liked Metropolis Zone's music, even when I tried listening to the various renditions while watching gameplay, the song just always feels disconnected from the pacing and aesthetic, disregarding the giant spinning coils anyway.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The Act 2 sounds a bit too electronic in my opinion. If anything, it should sound even more industrial, since IIRC, lava becomes a more prominent hazard in that act.

5. Retroman

Retroman

Fun Fact: Masato Nakamura, the composer of Sonic 2 from band 'Dreams come true' originally composed the Sonic 2 OST at a slower tempo than the original. The original, unsynthesized, non-YM2612 soundchip version is on YouTube and you can notice how slow most of the songs are.
    [youtube]https://youtu.be/eLHgNWfIuDY?list=PL58380F3FEB88A7FD[/youtube]

6. Falk

Falk

Those Tongara and Tobin comments on the video.

Good times.

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Listened to the HPZ dempo and one of the coment was "this version sounds fat".
    Another was "this should be used for S2HD"
    I'd say just port S2 to CD and use those songs. the current S2HD ST is fine.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    For all we know, and since these weren't intended for public listening, some of them may have been deliberately slowed down by him so that certain effects could be easily picked by the sound team. Perhaps he just told the programmers each song's correct tempo in a separate document.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Anyone have any info or insights on the status of this project? I'm assuming they have content but no engine?

10. Uhhh... wat?

11. NickyP

NickyP

Sounds plausible enough, but then it's worth noting that the Sonic 1 demo tracks are at their appropriate speeds. It could be the sound team had trouble keeping up with his demo tracks the first go around, and then asked him to slow it down for the sequel.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah what is going on as of late has the FB updated with anything?

13. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah it does seem eerily quiet recently. Hoping that means they're hard at work on the demo they had planned. I'd love to see the result of their efforts.

14. Bit late on this but opp :)

via FB page:

[​IMG]

Posts getting a ton of likes on Facebook, interest is still high!

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    That's a fucking awesome image. Good to see the project still progressing forward and as you noted maintaining popularity.

16. Mikronaut

Mikronaut

Nice, I thought this project was dead. I guess I haven't been in the loop lately, but it's great to see that things are progressing forward! It's time to watch this topic. ;) Does anyone happen to have news of a new demo?

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    They're steadily working on a demo behind the scenes from what I read of their last update (should be in this very thread). I believe the demo is supposed to have Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant and Hill Top Zone or at least that is where their intention lies. They're complete perfectionists so it might be a few months before we get to play anything. Work however continues and it's progressing forward far better than it ever did last time. A demo whenever it's deployed however would be wonderful.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Are they working on their own game in the meantime?

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Not since the release of Major Magnet as far as I know. Pretty sure they're focus is entirely on Sonic 2 HD now.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    They haven't been on Sonic 2 HD ever since the last demo came out, they left years ago to form their own company PagodaWest Games, with Tee Lopes operating freelance on Music. Aside from Major Magnet, they've put out a couple of smaller Mobile games this year and have another more substantial one coming out in 2016.