don't click here

Sonic OVA 2 - fan film

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RazoZen, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Okay thank god I'm not the only one who recognizes that this thing is unsettling and nowhere near the ballpark of OVA faithfulness. I had a feeling everyone would just praise it and call it a great continuation worth watching. Fortunately I was only partially right.

So, because "aesthetics have changed" (exactly what that means or how that works is not explained here), that means a fan sequel should be extremely different and unfitting to its source material, in a way that is absurd and tasteless?
    If this is how "aesthetics have changed" then this is a terrible time. I should expect that a fan sequel is faithful to the original in some capacity, not something silly and random.

And no those models are not faithful to the original designs. They're very off model.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Even ignoring the quality of the models or art style, the animation itself is hella janky, particularly in the second video. The movement is all stilted and awkward. The characters move like robots. I see none of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haa7n3UGyDc

and none of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBFsTqbKhY

On top of that, it's mostly too slow, with simple things like arm movements taking way too long.

Here's the thing. I have not studied animation extensively. I've never done it myself beyond a particularly crappy Flipnote Studio animation. If even someone like me, someone less than amateur, can identify specific problems... well, that's really a strong indicator that the animation needs improvement.

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Inb4 there's a scene where they all take off their gloves. :v:

There are plenty of official illustrations where Sonic characters have worn flipflops and shown what their feet look like. (Spoilers: They have no toes.) This is not only far removed from the source material, it looks more like Garfield's feet. You'd think wanting to be as on-model as possible would be a bigger priority than their head canon.

While I don't want to be as quick to say "OMG FOOT FETISH" as everyone else- WAIT. Upon watching Knuckles remove his shoe for no apparent reason, yeah, this feels pretty forced.

EDIT: I WATCHED THE FIRST TEASER AND WISHED I HADN'T HOLY CRAP THIS IS TMNT RUSSIAN BOOTLEG LEVELS OF WTF AM I WATCHING

4. CommandanteStreakTH

CommandanteStreakTH

Indonesia
    Project: Shadow
    What is this, Sonic Boom classic?

Not that it's such a bad thing, but, the OVA had an air of anime "coolness" about it, and this is a cartoon, both aesthetically and stylistically. We shouldn't discourage the animators though, they've put a lot of effort and there's a place for this sort of animation, but it just doesn't work as a fan sequel to the original OVA.

Oh, and imma let my fancharacter take over: "Why is it when humans see bare feet and they think it's just a normal sunday morning, but when a mobian does it suddenly it's foot fetish material?"

5. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    The issue isn't that feet are being shown, it's the fact that the feet are so centralized in the video. There is a literal portion of just Knux's feet in the water and nothing else. Why? That's pretty fucking weird. I mean, hell the scene where Sonic is talking to Tails, his feet are almost the same size as his god damn head.

The first clip is alright, just sounds like standard stupid shit. The comedic timing was off, the jokes were bland, the cameos, though nice, were quite obviously forced. The animation is ok, most definitely better than the second one. Can't help but feel the base was just bland of any real details though.

6. CommandanteStreakTH

CommandanteStreakTH

Indonesia
    Project: Shadow
    (Yeah, I totally get it, but bear with me now I only wanted to make a passing reference to my fancharacter who's supposed to be a satire of the Sonic fandom, among other things.)

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ....made a bit of a mistake there. You linked the same video twice. :v:

Anyway, the first teaser they uploaded earlier this year I found to be alright. It was rather offbeat in terms of its pacing, and the designs are notably different from the OVA; but the animation was decent (if stiff like Covarr mentioned) and tone generally seemed to be striving to the OVA's more relaxed moments, so I couldn't really complain about it otherwise. Given it's a teaser I was under the impression what they'd show next would address those problems.

I haven't seen the new teaser they've released...but based on the opinions I've read so far, I can't say I'm intrigued to watch it. :/ I'm kinda sitting here wondering exactly what happened between the teaser of back then and the new teaser released now.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This is a very noble goal and one I'm not going to laugh at. Follow your dreams for reals. Although I think there's a lot of ground to tread foot across before that happens. Ignoring any great feet, er… feat right now, or the quality of what we've seen already, let's talk about what shoes would need to be filled…

As an animation studio/team, it would take a crazy amount of time and effort for any fan work to get onto SEGA's radar to the point where they would offer the licence for a Sonic cartoon. Although not completely impossible (as we've seen the Sonic Live Action fan film get recognition the likes of Yuji Naka and other creators via Social Media in the past)

My advice would be for Zarumo Team to try working on various other projects/animations to show what they're capable of, then approach SEGA with a kickass portfolio of 2D films to say "Hey, check this out! We can handle your brand!", or at least work on trying to match the quality and style of the OVA whilst keeping in mind what made the OVA good in the first place.
    (I've always wanted to see a team of people try to recreate the style of mid/late 90's cel styled Anime using modern means without resorting to 3D methods, and I feel this could be a good angle to approach a 'new' Sonic OVA from. Style first, then content.)

Anyway, going back to fan work being picked up by the industry: Using the Retro Engine as an example here. SEGA saw that a fan had created something on par with their original work, and that there was a time/gap in the market to release that work.

I mean, even if SEGA did decide another Sonic OVA was suddenly doable and profitable, you'd have a harder time convincing them not to go to Toei/Madhouse/Studio4c/The Sonic Boom animators to get what they want. Do they know it's become a bit of a cult classic? (Or is it not quite at that point yet..)

I'm in no way clued up on the industry or licences or much of anything by the way, so feel free to call me out if I'm talking complete shite or sounding like a knob. I'm writing this in work hours and my 'No fun allowed' hat is firmly on. :v:

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh jeez I didn't even notice this sentence. The animation quality isn't anywhere near good enough for SEGA to probably even consider giving the license. Especially not with them having their own animation studio, and with them already making a Sonic movie. And they're definitely not going to get the attention by copying their old work and adding foot fetish scenes.

Right now this is reminding me far too much of Richard Kuta's attempts of doing the same thing.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Could it be that me and TimmiT agree? Well I'll be.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Whoops, the second one was supposed to be Slow In & Slow Out. Fixed.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No... just... no. Don't do this. We don't do that sort of thing here.

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

They brought the weird tail girl back? Ugh. Anyway, I hope this team keeps working on this project, even if it makes me cringe. I honestly doubt it will ever get finished, just like 90% of all other fan projects.

14. Pulse0

Pulse0

NYC (Currently)
    Sonic Neo Genesis
    Is any one aware that there are 2 ovas for sonic? Sonic OVA already has a sequel so is this rewriting the first one, or continuing the second?...
    OK so I went to go look for a pic to show the second and found out that apparently the vids got combined when moved to the states...

Any way id like to see this, especially since I've had the same goal/idea for a while now and it cant be worst that Blue Core's movie or Sonic Prolog the trailers show some promise even though it suffers from clearly self taught animating mistakes

15. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    As if this topic couldn't be weird enough. Isn't role-playing against the rules? Honestly, stuff like that lost its appeal for me in barely a month or two. It's impossible to do a decent RP anyway when most people have a cringe worthy writing style, (Give or take poor spelling or improper word usage.) and the creative capacity of a fifth grader, so I'm not sad most decent web forums disallow it.

Back on topic, is this fan movie basically the new standard for bootleg media? It comes off that way more than anything that can measure up in quality to official works. If the movie does get finished, it will become the next big thing for YouTube poopers and Tumblr shitposters to run into the ground.

And I'm not talking about the production values either. The story, as well as its forced jokes, is contrived at best. They really should have gotten better writers than whatever rabble they may have scraped from the bottom of the barrel at FanFiction.Net. It plays like subpar fan fiction, and the script probably reads that way too.

16. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    That's just so weird, what is with the 3d? Is that kinda rotoscoped or something? Because while it makes for detailed motion, it makes the motion seem really slow and devoid of any real energy or enthusiasm. It seems like they have tried to use many techniques, which is funny, because if they wanted to be movie accurate they could probably do it with a background artist and a couple of people who can animate in flash and after effects, the original animation isn't exactally Ghibli.

And now that Knuckles has that hat back, they better watch out for copyright claims from good old Ken lol

And now I'm watching the original again on youtube, that's 54 minutes of my life gone again. bugger it.

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    The only "official" art I've seen of a Sonic character with their shoes off is that one beach episode of Sonic X, and I would hardly call that canon.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, foot shit aside this doesn't look that good.

19. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Big the Cat is most appropriate example of canon no-toes to me. Can't get more direct than in the games themselves.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Also, this. If you don't like to blindly follow external links, it's an episode of AoStH where Sonic's shoes are stolen. The scene isn't quite consistent even with itself, though, as Sonic is barefeet at 0:20 and wears socks at 0:23 even though nothing happened inbetween.