don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Ryuki

Ryuki

#1 Is by far the most appropriate in my opinion. Can't credit Shinbs enough on that sheet; was a huge fan of their work back in my spriting addicted secondary school / college days.

2. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    I agree, #1 is my favorite, it contrasts well to the other Sonics. I almost would pick #3, but seeing the running GIF turned me off of it.

3. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I think I like the new menu structure. I prefer the one on the left for as much as the lack of distracting text.

What's the point of continues if you can just reset the console to avoid death without fear of loss of progression? I support removing them. :3 It would also help to remove save slot clutter. Hopefully, they get nuked like what you did with Debug Mode.

So wait, you're starting to get around to Teams Super, Hyper and Mini? Huh. I also noticed that no one announced Team Dark...

4. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

Just curious, have you guys thought of adding "Team Freedom Planet" aka all the main characters from Freedom Planet, would love to play as them in Classic sonic title

5. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I have, yes:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The main issue for them is VRAM: not only they are bigger than Sonic sprites, they also have tons of abilities that need lots of VRAM.

I can probably come up with a better palette nowadays, by the way; this one is a bit old.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't think this is the right hack for Freedom Planet characters - they'd be better suited to their own hack.

7. What about a team Sega genesis, with characters like maybe Ristar, Vectorman (may be too difficult to implement), Ecco (lol), Alex Kidd (more master system era but eh) or some other notable characters from around that era.

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    A team Sega hadn't been suggested until now; but ideas aren't the issue:
    • team Nintendo (Nintendon't?): Mario, Kirby, Link (no super forms);
    • team Disney: Mickey, Donald, Goof (idea from Drex's sprites). Super forms could be Fantasia Mickey, Superduck/Paperinik, Super Goof;
    • team Megamix: Sonic, Might, Shadow (not going to be done);
    • team Hedgehog: Sonic, Silver, Shadow;
    • team Hurricane: Sonia, Silver, Blaze;
    • team SatAM: Bunnie, NICOLE, ???

And many more. Ideas are not the problem, sprite sheets are.

9. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

By all means call me out on being a complete newb on the subject, but because it's a rom, don't you technically have unlimited V Ram space? // OR cant you emulate "LOCK ON TECHNOLOGY" to give yourself even more power to the system emulation?

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    VRAM is not ROM space; it is the amount of Video RAM on the VDP. The total VRAM is 64kB (as is main RAM), unless you have a modded MD with 128kB of VRAM (which almost no one has, and is not supported on any emulator anyway).

And even ROM space is not unlimited; without special cartridges, anything above 4MB is not usable, and both Everdrive flash carts and emulators have dumb limits on the SSF2 mapper: they only allow 5MB or 6MB of a potential 32MB.

So, per your request, you are a complete newb :v:

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So just out of sheer morbid curiousity, and not because I'm DEMANDING a release or anything insipidly rude like that, how far off do you think the next release will be? And the main additions will be Team SegaSonic and Team Mini, if I'm remembering correctly? Too lazy to dig through the thread.

12. Zeoinx

Zeoinx

So its a hard code limit of VRam....kinda a shame, would love to see what a Gen would be like with unlimited VRam as a modern PC :argh: Curse my newbness

13. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Neither a PC has unlimited VRAM, most of them are have 4Gb (SLI configurations don't give you 8 or 12Gb, but cards have the same in their memories. Dx12 promise to change this).

Edit: when I say 'most of them' Im talking about PCs with a modern dedicated Graphics card. Dumbasses like me who don't even have a graphics card don't have 'VRAM', instead part of the system RAM is used as VRAM. It is okay for playing pre-2008 games or checking e-mail, but it's not the idea.

14. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    I have to say, when the new version is released, I'm probably gonna beat this game at least six more times: one time with the full team, two more as Mighty or Ray alone, and then do all those again in Super Mode :v:

15. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    @Rata: Maybe I just don't know my way around hardware that well, but in all fairness, if you had a Genesis emulator that allowed you to use a PC's full VRAM capacity, wouldn't 4GB be functionally unlimited VRAM as long as all other graphical and data storage constraints remained? If I'm doing my math right, 4GB is enough room to store 2000 uncompressed 16-bit bitmaps weighing in at 1 megapixel each. Surely, that would be enough to store millions upon millions of Genesis sprites, which is certainly beyond what could ever be needed.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That isn't possible even in principle: all the operations you can perform on the VDP (DMA, reads, writes) have a single unused bit, meaning 128kB of can be done on that front. For all the other things (addressing tiles in VRAM from the VDP), there are no bits remaining, but there are a few registers you can set to rebase things in blocks to either 64kB "bank". This means that the VDP can work with either 64kB (the default) or 128kB of VRAM (what early Genesis development machines had, as well as some arcades and the Tera Drive had), and not a single bit more. So for more than 128kB of VRAM, you would need to ditch the VDP and use something else.

At this point, it becomes better to drop the pretense that you are working on a Genesis and just make a PC game, instead of wasting a lot of cycles to emulate a system you are not using.

17. Brainulator

Brainulator

Wow, all this stuff about NEW CHARACTERS AND NOT ENOUGH SPACE and I'm just here to suggest that Sonic 3 Complete's method of super/hyper transformation be implemented. I mean, if S3C took Super/Hyper Sonic sprites from this hack, why can't SCH take from that hack?

18. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    I have a somewhat odd suggestion. I was playing vanilla Sonic 1 today and I was wondering: would you consider adding an option that makes all the shields get replaced wuth the simple Sonic 1/2 shields? I do like the original blue shields because they only added an extra hit, and you had to be careful not to lose it. The S3&K shields are good, but some shields take all the danger out of certain normally hazardous areas, like having a flame shield in Marble Zone or a Lightning Shield in Scrap Brain Zone, and the projectile deflection makes a decent amount of the enemies way less dangerous. I think that the Sonic 1/2 shields could make the game a bit less easy but keep it fun. I hope this option could be added in some release of this game :)/>

19. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Honestly, side stepping this 'it wasn't like this in stock'-ignoring issue, I'd rather see the shield monitors give out a random shield. It's so silly to see a fire shield monitor placed right next to a lava section in Marble Zone. I mean, do you expect me to just ignore it? It makes the section such a joke. Yeah, I can also just fly over it with Tails, but I wouldn't mind trying to navigate the section with a Lightning Shield's double jump, either.

20. Brainulator

Brainulator

Unless you're given a Lightning Shield in the middle of the water.