don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Felik

Felik

I second Dark Sonic's comment about M.Sonic's animations. Other than that amazing work, can't wait to play!
    And dear god please PLEASE don't make me touch the mouse during 3D sections. A good Sonic game is the one where you don't have to control camera. Ever.

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Regarding the 3D sections, these are only in a couple of act 3's. The act 3's in Incursion are tailed towards a very specific gimmick or idea - I have a sky chase esque level, the Sonic 3D inspired one you see in the trailer, and a Sonic 2 esque special stage, to state some examples. The camera is always fixed - and everything is controlled by the pad.

And yeah, Metal Sonic was animated completely by myself, and I am no animator. I've definitely got better with time, so I'l no doubt take another look at them eventually.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    One suggestion might be just to remove Metal Sonic's walk frames and give him a low speed float and a high speed float. In most games Metal Sonic doesn't seem to really walk.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That's quite a good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

5. DSE

DSE

France
    It looks nice but I'm not very found of realistic terrain. It mostly create a real dissonance between having a cartoon blue hedgehog and some kind of realistic ground.

I find strange to see this thing to most (all?) GDK projects.

6. Felik

Felik

Realistic looking stock models/textures = realistic looking models/textures in fangames.
    As simple as that.

7. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    The trailer's awesome. Most impressing looking 3D Sonic fangame I've ever seen. Some of the levels look visually amazing and the game looks like it's a blast to play. Everything looks so slick and cool. It's really well-produced and there's definitely talent behind this. Loving the ambience and atmospherics. Great work.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Pretty impressive. Like others said, the animation on Metal Sonic definitely needs some improvement. I'll also say that the voice acting at the end is kinda bad, and really if you can't get good voice acting than it might be better to just go without voices at all.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thank you all for your feedback! Metal Sonic's animations have always been "ongoing" due to me being a poor animator. It's definitely going to get some revision.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Niiiice. Best gameplay trailer so far, by far. Metal Sonic being a little stiff is a small thing compared to how impressive the game looks. Well done.

11. winterhell

winterhell

Could you lift the camera a bit and tilt it downwards?
    When the character is on the ground in the 2D segments the camera is too parallel to the floor/ the floor comes close to the horizon line. If its below, you'll get a better sense of depth.

12. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Hmm, I'll experiment a bit, see what the results are like. Regarding the ground coming right up to the screen, I do intend to "cut away" so it doesn't come so close. Chalk this one up to poor practices when I started out, it only really occurs in areas where a landscape is used.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Loving the Metallix inclusion. Interested to see where this goes, my only critisisms are what's already been said.

14. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    From what I've seen - amazing. My only gripes are with the sound effects (that spring just sounds so wrong) and the checkpoints and rings seeming really small. But other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on a demo! I also can't wait to get my hands on a PC that's more than a glorified potato. :P

15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    There is a demo, but I suggest you hold off, it is quite old. I should have a new one ready for SAGE.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So I took what everyone has said on board and I've been tinkering with Metal Sonic's animations. He still has his idle pose, but then has varying floating animations when he picks up speed. This is how he looks at the fastest speed.

[​IMG]

17. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Cool! This is honestly the fangame I'm anticipating the most (Pity that Edge of Darkness seems to have died). Also, I'm not sure if it has been changed, but the fireworks during the day are a bit... Odd. Would a dynamic day-night cycle be in the works, with the fireworks only going off at night? I know it's a bit too much though, so just... Ignore all I have to say about day-night cycles. :P

18. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    The game takes place over the course of one day, so a day/night cycle would utterly break the story :P

Regarding the fireworks, I know it's odd but I like them.

19. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Ah right. One day? I know story reasons and all that, but isn't that a bit too short of a time frame? Regardless, the presence of the Metallix has me eager for more.

20. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Not really. Sunkiss Shore takes place in the morning, and the final level takes place at night. There are 9 zones for each character's playthrough, with the final one being different depending on the character. The level transitions also explain away how the characters are travelling such distances in a short amount of time.

Also, I've made sure the Metallix are "lore friendly" to the canon of the games. I know story and canon with a Sonic game is almost a contradiction, but they are here for a reason, they have an origin and a plan. But if you don't care about any of that (I'm trying to keep cutscenes and such short as possible) you can just skip them. There won't be many - an intro, a short one in the middle, a penultimate scene and the endings.