don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    There are teams planned that would blur the 'speed, flight, power' lines so much they probably aren't even there anymore. Team SegaSonic is one: Ray will be able to climb and "fly" similar to the SMW cape (but competently programmed) — so not really a flight character. There is another team which effectively has two power characters and no real speed types. And team Generations, should I get all the sprites, will end up with 3 speed characters, for very obvious reasons.

I am just not that attached to the whole 'speed, flight, power" split — I never played Heroes, and was completely unaware of its existence until quite a bit after after SCH (then S2H) was released.

@VAdaPEGA, DigitalDuck: Another one I thought was S3&K Sonic, a modern Sonic and Sonic Boom Sonic (not the hack, the cartoon). The latter has the problem that there is no sheet anywhere near completion, though.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You can always draw a slow brown Sonic and claim that he's pre-Kintobor Sonic. Can't get more Generations than that.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I would happily offer the source code for Sonic 2 Adventure Edition if you ever wanted to do that, Flamewing.

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well this is a brilliant idea. And there is a very small sheet of that at Spriters Resource, so it wouldn't be a scratch start.
    [​IMG]

So, powerless sonic, SK3 sonic and dreamcast sonic (not the modern 47ft tall one). That also breaks the blueness a bit, which could cause some confusion too some people -I CAN'T be the only dumb one-.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you wanted to break up the blue you could always go down the Sonic Underground route - that's almost three Sonics.

6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I don't know, I am not that much of a fan of the American origin story.

Edit:
    First I will worry about deciding exactly which Sonics will be on the team and getting the requisite sprites; then I will worry about the coding. But thanks for the offer.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You could do Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 Sonic on a team :specialed:

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    For the record, my suggestion was a joke for the most part.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    What if... you use Classic Sonic, Modern-adventure Sonic and Boom sonic for team generations? *runs*

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    You mean exactly like I said here:
    :v:

11. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    I'm more surprised this got overlooked:
    As for sprites, I do have a sprite sheet of Boom Sonic for Sonic 1, I can provide them as a placeholder (ending not included).
    The sprites were made for Gotta go fast edition but I never got around finishing an update.

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Ah, so it really was a scarf and not my imagination.

That works, yes. Looking over your sprites, I like the modern Sonic more than the Dreamcast Sonic, but I also think that he is too tall. I guess that for now I will go with S3&K Sonic, ModGen Sonic v2 and your Boom Sonic.

13. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

If you're looking for any other Modern Sonic sprite sheets, there's this one that is also made by Shinbs. It's actually more of a hybrid between Classic and Modern (but so is Mod Gen Sonic, lol), though not only it has an unique feeling to it that keeps it a little more distinct from the S3 Sonic (along anything edited from it), but it also includes both classic and Modern inspired animations within the sprite sheet. Also, he seems slightly taller than Shinbs' Classic Sonic sprites, which helps differing them slightly more.

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Funny, I was looking at that sheet earlier today.

15. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    Erm, I had a small suggestion. It's nothing big, but thought it would be nice if there was an option in the sound test to change the default menu theme. Like, say, you could set it so that the Invincibility theme plays when you enter the menu. I kinda thought this would be cool, considering you can change the background color too, it adds a little bit of customization.

Also, can you add an option that you can choose before loading a file that disables Super/Hyper forms? I like sometimes just playing the levels normally instead of "get 50 rings then destroy everything". Anyways, just pitching these small ideas, I'm super-hyped for the new release. I am really looking foward to Team Generations especially :)

16. If you did add this, I'd love to be able to choose the S3K save file select music as the menu song, I find it way better than the S2 level select song.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I have actually removed the background selection for the time being; at least until I can do some nice alternate palettes.

In the next version, when using a 6-button controller, you transform only by pressing the 'mode' button while on air; would that count?

The S2 level select song being bad is is one of the reasons I changed to the 2p results song. But I am planning to put my driver into SCH, and may end up swapping to a S3K song for the menu, yes.

18. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Not everyone has a six-button controller, though. I wound up reverting my hack's fancy six-button debug mode because I couldn't use it on hardware. Why not do what Sonic 3 Complete does, and make it so you have to press a different button in mid-air to transform when using a three-button controller? On a related note, can we have the option to disable the Super Sonic music? It gets so annoying. Again, S3C allowed you to swap it out with the Speed Shoes' sped-up level music. Not great if you just want to hear the level music normally, but it's something, at least.

While we're making suggestions, I've always hated the fact that the only character whose stats wasn't modified was Tails. Sonic rockets off almost uncontrollably, because I'm used to a normal running speed, and Knuckles has a normal jump height. I get that Sonic was changed because people thought Tails/Knuckles made Sonic useless (coughinstashieldandelementalshieldscough) but maybe I want to play as Sonic for the challenge of it. Being able to fly/glide everywhere is too easy to me. And I know Knuckles' jump was taken out because it seemed like a pointless gimmick meant only to force Knuckles to take alternate routes in S3K, but it's a characteristic of his moveset; he can't jump high, but he can maintain what little height he gets by gliding. It seems weird that you'd take away something that made Knuckles unique, but give Sonic another. I guess what I'm saying can be summarised as 'Waa, I hate change', but, really, what do you expect? I'm playing a Sonic hack were Sonic doesn't play like Sonic, and Knuckles is more of a Sonic than Sonic is. I don't want to always play as Tails just so the game feels 'normal'.

19. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Disabling super music would be relatively easy; I do have code already to disable it when Super Dash is active, it would be a simple matter to extend it into an option.

Boy, you are going to hate the next version then…

For the record, I completely ignore any suggestions/feature requests whose main reasoning is along the lines of "it wasn't like that in the original". I know it isn't very friendly, but such is life.

The main problem with those is that Sonic's abilities are not consistent: you can't rely on any of the abilities, because they change after one mistake (except for insta-shield). In fact, I have been thinking of changing Sonic's abilities to be more consistent. Something like C button always doing a insta-shield, and B button plus a direction always doing something else: B+down being like a bubble bounce (but you bounce only with bubble shield), B+forward always doing a dash, and B alone doing a double-jump.

Or maybe change Sonic's speed to work something like SAdv3's Boost Mode, with your top speed and acceleration increasing once Boost Mode has been activated.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'd vote for this option over complicating the control scheme. Plus, Vector and Charmy already have their own forms of jumpdash.