don't click here

Sonic OSTs now on Spotify

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Yuzu, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait a second... So they do have the rights for selling a Sonic CD soundtrack with vocals but they can't use them for the game?

What the fuck?

EDIT: Sonic R cover with Sonic Adventure artwork? Hrmph.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yep that's the albums official artwork. Makes sense. Sonic R was on the tail end of the Classic Era. By the time they got around to releasing the soundtrack the Adventure era began and at the time there wasn't really a distinction between classic and modern Sonic, so they just slapped ol' green eyes nike grin on the cover there.

EDIT: Hold on, what the fuck is that Special Stage track in Sonic 4 Ep 1? That wasn't in the game. It's a dying felines version of Sonic 2's special stage.

Wait a second but on the web player it's not? It will only play in the downloaded spotify player for some reason.

EDIT 2: HAHAHA Oh wow! They used this song by accident. The fact that they confused their own shitty soundtrack with one that was created to mock it is just hilarious. Quickly Retro, ask for royalties. They're using Skyler's work without permission :specialed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5sJ1VZxKKc

3. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I think Taxman said Sega recovered the rights for those songs too late to implement them in the CD remake.

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Don't consider this a definitive list, but a quick search of "Sonic original soundtrack" on my phone comes up with the following titles in the UK:

• Sonic Adventure
    • Sonic Adventure 2
    • Sonic Riders
    • Sonic Free Riders
    • Sonic Heroes
    • Sonic CD
    • Sonic R
    • Sonic & The Secret Rings
    • Sonic Runners
    • Sonic Colours
    • Sonic Lost World
    • Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But... There's been a lot of updates since then.

Some games are removing certain music tracks when their rights are expired, so surely it would be possible to do the opposite?

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie

I might be misrembering, but I think in a Sega Bits interview with Stealth, it was mentioned that once SoA got the rights, they felt it wasn't worth the time to put the music back in.

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I said this in another thread, but there's also a case of working with licenses. You need an explicit license to use something if you don't actually own it. Just because it appeared on a soundtrack release doesn't mean SEGA or Taxman got the license to use it in the remake.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I just tried on both to see if you're right or you're just crazy. I got the normal Special Stage theme.

You crazy, son.

9. Upon further thought, I wouldn't be surprised if the only song from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is "So Much More...", the main theme by Bentley Jones. Try giving that a whirl.

Also, try looking for Sonic the Fighters (Which does have an official soundtrack) aaaaaaand... maybe anything from the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island, since there is a vocal track composed by Richard Jacques on there.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Huh, how odd. Maybe it's a Spotify Premium thing? I swear on both players I've tried I've gotten Sonic 2 Special Stage cat edition (This is for Episode 1 btw, Episode 2 is fine)

Try this link:

https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Atrack%3A6Y63j9TsmjBrPDvKvRNNBU

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Nope, same old boring lullaby song. :psyduck:

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is so strange. It was the lullaby for me online too, but not in the players.

Can someone else try?

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice to see that they're doing this - though it's a pity that some of the more obscure stuff will never make it. Note everything that's up is what's been released already as available-to-buy OSTs.

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

It's very possible that the Spotify client is thinking that it's a local version of the song and replacing it if the id3 tags are close. It happens.

I'm hoping that more SEGA OSTs show up in the future, their iTunes has PSO , Ep3 and Skies of Arcadia OSTs that I'd love to listen to.

15. Yuzu

Yuzu

I got a message last night telling me that V.A. had new 13 releases and Sega had a few. Looks like I must have caught them very close to being uploaded :v:

EDIT: I added the Sonic Adventure Vol. 1 and SA2 Vol. 1 OSTs, for some weird reason getting to Vol 1 by search is really awkward for them. I just assumed Vol. 2 was a companion to the Anniversary OST, but I'm wrong. :eng101:

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm getting the regular Special Stage theme, too. It's possible that they put up mine by accident and quickly fixed it. Even so, hahahahahaha oh my god

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Skyler can now add that he was accidentally on spotify first.

18. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I guess Sonic 3's absence really shouldn't be surprising at this point huh

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Sonic 3 never had a CD release anyway. And unlike its Genesis brethren, it never got a 20th Anniversary release.

Though I think the entire Internet knows why by now. :v:

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack is there. It won't display properly on Canadian Spotify using the client but Mr Swine on GAF linked the URL and it kind of plays on the web player after trying enough times.

Added to the thread. I warn that it's pretty buggy though.

EDIT: Jet Set Radio Future OST now on Spotify! This is new, I tried to find this straight after finding Rush's OST.