don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well, a lot of levels need complete redos, anyway. Way too much gimmicky nonsense, I've said it here and elsewhere, Sonic Team has an irrational paranoia about players' attention spans.

Also, while I am in favor of proper acceleration and deceleration, I actually like the run trigger mechanic, because, like it or not, it's somewhat necessary if you want to actually regulate Sonic's speed. I'd probably make it a toggle instead, though. A manual 'gear shift' mechanic might also be an interesting idea. Though there's always the problem of controls at high speed, it's a major flaw of many 3D Sonic games and why Unleashed, Colours and Generations made him control like a bloody racecar at a certain threshold.

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    If the original games did not establish what a Sonic game is, then what the hell is a Sonic game? Just whatever lottery of gameplay mechanics Sonic Team decides every other year?

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm not going to lie. The Classics do it best. No question. The games since then all reek to various degrees of technical incompetence and/or just having no understanding of what actually made the originals so special. They get the job done, but differently and not as well. And there's nothing totally wrong with doing things differently. There's no reason for "differently" and "not as well" to go hand-in-hand.

4. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I wasn't really trying to use that as a legitimate argument, I just thought I might as well mention it.

In any case, video games are artwork, just like painting or music. Saying that new games have to function the same way the old ones do is like saying a band's musical style can't evolve as the band does. You don't have to vehemently despise a band just because the style of their new work isn't the same as their early stuff. Sonic Team has the right to do whatever they want with the series, and will still undoubtedly be a Sonic game. You can't argue that it isn't what it is just because how it is isn't how it used to be. + - That last sentence was confusing.  

5. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    That doesn't really address what I said.
    Or it confirms it.
    Let's just jot down mechanics and genres on plastic balls and put them in a lottery machine. Whatever combination it spits out we turn into a game, and with Sonic's name and face on it, it's a Sonic game.
    If the next main series game was Sonic Tic Tac Toe Jigsaw Shmup Adventure, it would be a Sonic game. You play as Sonic and it has slopes in the background and you collect rings, so it's still a Sonic game.
    It's just different not worse, okay so it doesn't play like the classics, it's still a Sonic game, they're just trying something different is all, stop living in the past, the series has moved on.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Sonic Generations sold bad.

Sonic 4 sold bad.

Classic Sonic is not returning, not in visuals, not in gameplay.

Seriously, that's why we have Sonic Boom here. They're trying to find a way to sell Sonic to the target audience again, children.

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    You're using a very extreme and unrealistic example. Realistically, Sonic Team will never do that, and the games they make will always (at their core) be Sonic games. Whether or not you like them is up to you, but you can't use their being different as a legitimate argument for their inferiority.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Okay, then what is a Sonic game "at the core"? This loops back to the start of the argument. What then, is a Sonic game? Where do you draw the line at extremities?
    And I didn't use their being different as an argument for their inferiority. I used examples of lacking and sloppy mechanics as an argument.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This discussion stinks like 3 week old horse carcass that's just been kicked.

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I agree. We probably shouldn't derail the topic any further.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Urgh... Yeah, I'm sick of this argument. Had it too many times with too many people who intentionally miss the point all the time, like in your post just there.

Lost World is a different Sonic game. It has several things in common with other platformers too, which may contrast with what you call 'Sonic'. Whether or not this a acceptable is entirely up to you.

This horse died in 2010.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Cause Lost World is the first time a main game in the series completely changed up the gameplay.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Oh

Seriously, going by the "this isn't a Sonic game cause all of this works somewhat differently from classic Sonic", then there have been far, far more Sonic games that aren't actually Sonic games than there are actual Sonic games.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    All of those are subject to the same problem I'm talking about.
    Sonic Adventure is a unique case since it's the first game to attempt Sonic in 3d. This is a debate by itself.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So does this make every single 3D Mario game until 3D Land not actual Mario games either? Or what about every single 3D Zelda? Or almost every Rayman game after the first one?

There's more than one way to iterate on a concept. If they didn't then Sonic would have gotten stale by now instead of a franchise with hit or miss games.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    And that's where Sonic Adventure is a debate by itself. It was meant to establish what a Sonic game was in 3d. It's still the closest (official) thing to a logical translation of the 2d games.
    The 3d Mario games translate Mario's 2d mechanics in a way that recognizes and retains the fundamentals, even when done differently, eg Mario 64 vs Mario 3D World. These then add on a variety of new abilities that compliment the fundamentals instead of replacing them.
    In the case of Sonic, the 2d gameplay has only partially been translated, and most of the new mechanics replace the fundamentals instead of supporting them. At some point, there has to be a threshold where it can't really be considered a Sonic game, but something else that just calls itself Sonic.

16. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I've played through Tropical Coast 3 so far and I gotta say, the controls are not nearly as hard to learn as I remembered them being during my extremely brief experience of the Wii U version. They seemed somewhat convoluted at first, but it all became very simple when I realized the game primarily uses only two action buttons (Jump/Homing Attack and Bounce/Kick) plus the triggers to control speed. With this in mind and the now-less-obtrusive hints, the way Sonic handled made plenty of sense to me by the end of the first world.

Sonic's controls did take some "getting used to," but only in the sense that I needed to adapt from previous Sonic games, not in the sense that they were awful to begin with. There's one little quirk though where if Sonic begins parkouring up a wall and attempts to Spin Dash before the afterimage starts, he'll just fall off the wall. If they decide to revisit this gameplay style, this should definitely be addressed as it's not exactly hard to make happen.

But yeah, I've been enjoying the game. I don't wanna make any absolute judgments, but I think at the very least, I can say I enjoy it more than Heroes so far. (Which might not be saying much to most of you, but hey, I liked it :v: ) By the way, EXTREMELY glad that the PC version lets you turn off the Deadly Six dialogue before you reach the boss (thanks for that, Dark Sonic). It's kinda strange that that's all the "Voice" volume affects, but that's all I need, really :v:

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Ugh, you have no idea how sick I am of you pointlessly trying to support the same flawed argument over and over again.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    And yet Lost World does a better job adapting the classic Sonic look and gameplay while still trying to do something different than Sonic Adventure did. Ignoring the physics (which really aren't what made classic Sonic so different from modern Sonic in the first place), it does a much better job having the multi-layered level design with alternate paths while having a visual style that's obviously inspired by the classic art style. Meanwhile in Sonic Adventure, the only thing Sonic Adventure has from the classics is the basic moveset and speed. Not just that, that only counts for when you play as Sonic and Tails, the rest of the characters are incredibly far removed from what Sonic is.

Not that that makes Lost World a good or better game, but it certainly has more in common with the classics than Adventure did. Not that that Adventure isn't a Sonic game, as the fundamentals are still there. It just doesn't take as much inspiration.

19. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I'm pretty sure that it's intentional, considering the fact that spin dashing before the afterimage starts is pointless, anyway. Just spin dashing immediately defeats the purpose of wall spin dashing anyway, which is to extend a wall run.

20. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

You're right about there not really being a point to immediately Spin Dashing (and I did consider that when I was making the post), but I dunno, the fact that he just helplessly drops seems...off. They could've just disabled the Spin Dash for that brief moment. Not a huge deal anyway now that I know about it, but I could see someone forgetting that and being annoyed.