don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I guess not, but it was trying to be like the classics, at least slightly.

It's a Sonic game with a number after it it had more riding on it than this did basically.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, don't worry about it. I think he was just expecting a bit more vitriol than what we got. =P

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Sonic 4 was killed by marketing people. Lost World is weirder- they weren't trying to go momentum-based and all, but then the levels have specific setpieces thought for it. I can excuse the loops, they've been automated for a while, but the ramps? It's just bizarre. Going by what Gene says, I can imagine the absurd development resulting in such schyzophrenia, I suppose.

4. Perfect Chaos Zero

Perfect Chaos Zero

Notoriously Inebriated Oldbie
    Oh fine, I'll say something salty myself then.

I've been under the assumption that this was the case and the game series is indeed dead for quite some time. Many years in fact. I think you guys keep getting your hopes up that SEGA's going to magically turn around and do it right all of a sudden. Stop that. Stop expecting it to happen. It's probably not ever going to be the case, so stop getting your hopes up. It only makes the end result so much more bitter and painful, time after time after time. It's not worth it, don't do that to yourself, it's not worth it. Enjoy Sonic for what it was and enjoy the things we can do together as a community. Stop relying on SEGA, they'll just disappoint you. They recently made a statement supposedly apologizing for the fuck ups, but come on now, that's not the first time they've done something along those lines and nothing changed. Don't set yourself up for more disappointment by expecting it'll be any different this time around either.

Evidence of my point? Reasoning for why I feel this way?

COMING SOON AT PAX!
    http://www.pso2.com/us/html/news.html

.....PAX 2012 that is. Still no post. Still. 3 years now. He made his statement, about regaining trust. Yet SEGA still continues to utterly ignore it's fans, says literally nothing because they don't care. They made that "apology" to try and get people to keep spending money on their stuff, hoping that "Maybe this time it won't be fucking absolutely atrocious. I mean, they acknowledged their mistakes right? I mean, they're going to listen to what their fans want right guys!?"

[​IMG]
    "Right?"

[​IMG]
    "Guys?"

CAUSE MORE STUFF RELATED TO SONIC BOOM IS WHAT THE FANS WANT RIGHT?!

Yeah, no thanks. I don't have the time and have far too much remaining sanity to keep doing the exact same thing over and over again (buying Sonic titles), expecting that somehow the result will suddenly be different than it was the last time. SEGA "listened to it's fans" and gave us more Sonic Boom related stuff. When people WTFed over it, they then proceeded to give us.... more Sonic Boom related stuff. Have fun with Boom guys. Me? Personally? I want nothing to do with it. I've had my heart broken too many times by SEGA to keep coming back for more personally. I hope that you guys come to the same conclusion or at the very least, don't get too salted up when it continues to get worse, because that's probably what's going to happen.

Just like how everyone gave up on expecting SEGA to ever say anything about PSO2 or ever actually releasing/finally cancelling the USA version. They simply didn't release it and said NOTHING as to why, what happened, if it's really coming out or anything, for THREE years. Meanwhile, a third party company in Malaysia starts a deal, constructs their own servers, creates an English version by themselves and then ACTUALLY RELEASES their own English version on Asian servers in the time span of a few months. But USA PSO2 isn't ready yet, right guys? It's still coming, totally, it's not like it's been years of silence after it's release date which had no announcement of the game being "delayed" until weeks/months after the release just....didn't happen, nor any explanation as to why.

Any company that's willing to do that to it's expectant consumers after trying to build all sorts of hype and making all sorts of promises, then not only fail to deliver, but literally ignore it's fanbase entirely? They clearly don't give a fuck about you. They don't give a fuck about me. They don't give a fuck about Sonic or any of their other properties. In fact, they think SO LITTLE of us, we are SO BELOW THEM in their mindset, that we're not even worthy of a response. We're not worth their effort or time to talk to, unless it's an attempt to quickly and easily boost sales by making an empty statement that doesn't actually address anything specific what so ever. They're gonna shit stuff out on the cheap, so that little kids and people deluded under the idea of "maybe this one won't be THAT bad" are going to buy it anyway, just cause it's got a drawing of Sonic The Hedgehog on the cover. That's apparently their business model now, has been for many years. Actions speak louder than words, at least imo and SEGAs actions aren't exactly appealing.

SEGA is a salt factory now. The more you stick around, the more salty you will become. Stop it, your skin is gonna dry out.
    (side note, since I know someone will want to point it out, yes I'm aware of the whole contract for another game with BRB thing. They should have shifted it to not be Boom, but the stuck with it. Then released more Boom related stuff. Clearly SEGAs all for more Boom, contract or not)

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think it comes all the way down to how the base movement, planetoids and usage of powerups make it feel like it wants to be like Mario, the parkour and slopes and general idea of the Spindash make it feel like it's trying to be flowy and momentum based, the Spindash's execution and the mach speed areas feel like they're trying to capture boost gameplay elements, the strategy-combat mechanics feel like an attempted revisit of some of Heroes and 06's ideas, and the rest is just whatever they could throw at a wall.

Everything feels like it comes from a different source and is actively trying to contradict itself for the sake of touching as many bases as possible, and it just ends up a total mess.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eh, do we need to go about this song and dance again? "Sonic's dead, no he's not, yes he is, SEGA is a monster, but but muh Generations and Sonic 3." Let's simplify the topic, that might be nice. I'll start.

The main reason I bought this game was mods. Who's looking forward to seeing what can be done to fix this game's annoyances?

7. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Mentioned before will mention again, time limit remover mod + classic Sonic mod, I'm set. Fan-made levels will be a nice extra, I suppose, but those two are my ideal ones.

After that, I dunno. Might want a Shadow mod or something just for the clash between design and art style.

8. Perfect Chaos Zero

Perfect Chaos Zero

That's actually the most reasonable justification for buying this game I could have possibly conceived of. Yeah, I mean, maybe the modding community can do something to salvage it a bit? I've found that modding games generally results in exponentially improving the experience so I'd be all for it personally. The question though as far as "fixing" the game is well....where do you even start? I suppose they could just use the engine and rework most of the mechanics along with custom levels...

Either way, THAT side of it is indeed a lot more interesting than SEGA's S.O.P. for the past decade.

9. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I kinda wish people would stop assuming that everyone agrees with them. Some people don't think it NEEDS fixing.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I'm guessing there's no screen filtering being applied.

11. To those who are having issues with the cannons not shooting: disconnect any controllers that are not XInput compatible. Weird, but I just found that out by pure accident. (PC version of course)

This game seems to have issues with DirectInput 8 (dinput8.dll) since using any controller other than XInput controllers cause such things to occur. (with x360ce)

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Looking forward to mods that'd remove the timer, yeah. That or ones that can make decelerating not be so instantaneous.

Removing like 3/4s of the dash pads and hidden springs would be pretty good, too.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean, as a base, I could see the following done to fix the game:

- Remove the Mario style timer and replace it with the time trial one
    - Add item monitors in the levels for additional variety
    - Remove the Super Sonic section restrictions
    - Fix Super Sonic's animations
    - Have Sonic's default be to run and make the run button a walk button
    - Disable the opening logos and the Wisp instruction prompts
    - Higher res HUD/menu textures
    - Streamline the constant spring chains and dash panels

And then for some nice added bonuses
    - Remove all Deadly Six boss fights and just throw an Egg Capsule in it's place
    - Allow Sonic to run normally in the snowball level
    - Remove the auto scrolling sections of Desert Ruin act 4
    - Remove the spotlight from the second act of that jungle level
    - Remove those strange fish robot things from Beach zone act 1 (the ones you go inside to have them slowly roll around and crush things)
    - Classic Sonic mod

And then of course you get into the fun of new levels, and since this game provides a nice varied move set, the possibilities are vast.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Real talk?

I want to see fan-made snowball levels. Repeating it over and over for the red rings gave me a taste for it :v:

15. Perfect Chaos Zero

Perfect Chaos Zero

It's not an assumption that EVERYONE agrees with them. However, the majority of people on this forum share the view point that Lost World wasn't a good game. The majority of video game critics (not all) also share that view point. Thus why people say things like, "But it'll take an awful lot of work to fix it", because a lot of people think it's completely junked. If you don't feel that way, that's fine. Hell, good for you I guess that you somehow are able to enjoy games like Lost World and Sonic Boom. One might argue "oh well they just have bad taste", but if you're actually enjoying just about everything, presumably you'd be the happier person overall. But that said, a lot of people don't like Lost World for a lot of reasons. To that large sect, the game needs fixing.

I think just about all of those things would go a long ways towards helping the game solve it's issues, for those that feel it has serious issues like most people do.

16. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Having played through the game again, I still feel how I did when I played the Wii U version. The most damning part of the game is some of the level design - at some points, it's just cheap and annoying. On the other hand, levels like DRZ1 are quite good fun once you've learned how the physics work (bizarre as they are).

I honestly don't care much for 3D Mario games, but with proper momentum and some additional fine-tuning, I don't think Lost World is really that far off from a good 3D interpretation of the Genesis gameplay.

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed you can use the mouse to click on things like the item inventory or Omochao missions :v:

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Modders are great. Remember how broken Super Sonic was in Generations? I don't too much anymore because mods disabled that auto path bullshit. Same goes for those item point limits and item number limits. All gone thanks to mods. We got some potential for good times here people.

18. Retroman

Retroman

Agreed! It breathes new life into a game after it's been played so many times.

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Main things to address:
    Trashing the run button in favor of proper acceleration and deceleration.
    Preservation of momentum when jumping and dropping input.
    Stripping out the pointless automated events and factors that arrest control or keep Sonic's movements rigid.
    Real aerial control. Sonic should have more movement power in the air, not less, and he should be able to change direction while in the air instead of being fixed to his last trajectory upon jumping.
    More legitimate spindash with a proper rolling state.
    And the big one, real slope physics, which require proper acceleration and momentum based movement to begin with.

However, even with modding I presume only some of this would be feasible even if difficult. I imagine slope physics especially would be far too difficult to implement through modding, unless one or more of you are crazy enough to make it happen.

20. So I've just experienced the game lagging to utter shit when using the drill wisp. Also the drill wisp controls like ass and with input lag you'll be turning in circles when you don't want to which means dying a lot. :specialed: