don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly just editing the title screen surprises me. I look forward to finding out what's new tomorrow.

2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I am unbelievably excited. Just waiting until I get home at 3:30 is almost too much. I'm glad to see that they weren't just spouting hot air when they mentioned full support for keyboard prompts (not that I intend to use them, I'm sticking with my DS4).

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrqfxcsok8

[​IMG]

SEGA probably shouldn't advertise that "feature" so proudly...

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Whoops :specialed:

Whatever, don't care. Be 2 hours from now so I can play this please.

EDIT: Nope, go fetch it now. It's currently downloading. Let's see what you got PC version.

5. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Didn't realise this was coming out today. Downloading it now. Since when was being locked at 60fps a selling point? That's just odd.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Eagerly awaiting to see if reports of the controls being better were due to authentic changes, or placebo for having a different controller in hand (leaning towards the latter).

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I wonder how long it'll take for the mods or the model/animation rips to roll out. Looking forward to those things more than anything else.

EDIT: Speak of the devil.

...wait. Why's the gamepad icon there?

EDIT AGAIN:

Well nevermind that.

9. Amnimator

Amnimator

^That was an image TwilightZoney already admitted was a fake.

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Haven't jumped into the game itself yet, but something caught my attention right away - the video options and such, while not as in-depth as, say, Source Engine games, are actually in the game itself (resolution, depth of field, shadows, etc.). Considering how many console-to-PC ports just elect for a launcher that allows you to change those settings, it's a pleasant surprise to see them here.

11. eighttailedfox

eighttailedfox

Canadia Land
    Project Maelin
    The question I want to know, is, are the keyboard controls shit or not?

12. Elston87

Elston87

I'm raiding witches. Member
    I thought this was coming out in a week; guess not. I impulse-bought it and didn't look back. :v:

Curious how well it'll run on my hardware.

13. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    [12:38] <UltimaXtreme> okay, first irritation of SLW PC. It didn't actually change resolutions at all.
    [12:39] <UltimaXtreme> What it did was downsample the image to the determined resolution. So it was forcing 720p content to stretch to 1600x900, rather than native 720p.
    [12:40] <UltimaXtreme> fortunately putting it back to 1600x900 fixes the image quality.
    [12:43] <UltimaXtreme> so no touch screen on the controller, right? Hint bubbles can be opened with the Back button. They don't tell you that.
    [12:44] <UltimaXtreme> best thing so far: holding X to crouch, and then literally somersaulting for eternity.
    [12:49] <UltimaXtreme> so very strange... I get 60fps pretty steady on Lost World
    [12:49] <UltimaXtreme> that's until you get to the falling bridges section on Windy Hill
    [12:50] <UltimaXtreme> (for clarification, that's where you get the red ring from chasing the big bell)
    [12:50] <UltimaXtreme> The act of all those things falling seems to dip my FPS to 45-50
    [12:52] <UltimaXtreme> also very confusing bindings still. The world screen requires you to CLICK the right stick to open your item briefcase. If you press Select on it, it zooms out to show the Lost Hex.
    [12:53] <UltimaXtreme> and there's already rankings for the game. Windy Hill act one's fastest is SOEQA-32 with 45.29
    [12:55] <UltimaXtreme> OH GOD WINDY HILL ACT 2 IS DESTROYING MY FPS

Talking on SRB2's IRC there, a small chronicle of my first hour. I opted to play with the 360 gamepad because Sonic games feel their best with that type of controller, and I'm fairly accustomed to it.

First thing, obviously, is that resolution thing. I don't think they're doing anything sensibly here, as setting fullscreen basically did borderless fullscreen. Changing the resolution setting simply DOWNSCALED the game. This made everything... Well, look terrible. When I disabled fullscreen, it WAS changing the window size, so clearly the functionality works, but fullscreen was messed up.

Not really an issue, seeing as my rig was able to handle that TOTALLY SICK LOCKED 60 FPS! There's no complicated settings at all. You can turn off Depth of Field in case you don't like effects, grass if that somehow hurts your FPS, and shadows for if you hate yourself or confused it with the hedgehog.

Dual AMD Radeon HD 7770s in CrossfireX AFR mode, the game ran pretty much perfectly. Only issue really came in the first portion of Windy Hill act 2, with the sunset, dipping my FPS to 40 and basically chugging the game. Once I jumped into the second half, my FPS stuck again.

Now... controls. They're fairly responsive and make enough sense, but there's enough here to niggle at me. First, the help bubbles. While they were relegated to the screen on the Wii U, the PC version binds it to Select. This is... fine. Would be better if the game WARNED you of that control.
    Then there's the briefcase. As you all know, the Miiverse could provide you with item boxes that you could activate by choice from the Wii U screen. No screen, so the answer? Bind the briefcase to the right stick, of course! And also bind opening it to the RS click! This thing's just weird.

At the very least, for absolute PC users with KB/M, they support the full 103 key spectrum, so bind it comfortably, and enjoy.

That's all I can say, really. It's not a competent PC port, by any means, but SEGA's got quite a few improvements since they did Generations. Maybe some updates will provide a bit more?

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I dunno, but when you start the game it recommends using a controller.

Also, if you have an optimus laptop or something: it seems to have the same issue as Generations where even if you tell it to use the Nvidia GPU, it'll use the inferior Intel one. Also the framerate is tied to the speed of the game. So anything below 60fps will make the game slow down.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Christ my internet sucks. I've been downloading this for over an hour and beat all of Sonic 2 Delta while waiting for the thing.

That shortcut icon is fucking terrible good lord.

16. Paraxade

Paraxade

It's not fake, it just isn't the PC version. That's a really old Wii U screenshot.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
  18. Amnimator

Amnimator

This is where he said it was a fake, it's just a Generations mod:
    https://plus.google.com/113125365095992754812/posts/BDJDesdFeiu?pid=6140684652653138242&oid=113125365095992754812

19. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah not sure why he said that but it is actually a Lost World Wii U mod. Just asked him to confirm.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Okay so if you happen to use an Optimus PC or laptop (one where you have a dedicated Nvidia GPU for games and an Intel GPU for less heavy stuff), it seems like you're basically fucked if you want to play this game. It has the same issue that Generations had where even if you tell it to use the Nvidia GPU, that it'll use the Intel GPU anyway.

For Generations there was a workaround where if you faked having a second display that uses the Nvidia GPU and extended the desktop to that, it'd still use the Nvidia GPU. However, that doesn't work for Lost World. So unless SEGA actually fixes it this time around or another workaround is found, you're gonna have to play the game with slowdown.