don't click here

De-listed downloadable SEGA games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Sep 1, 2012.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Virtua Tennis 4 will be removed from Steam on April 23rd, until then it's on sale for 80% off: http://steamcommunity.com/games/71390/announcements/detail/159091947276853924

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This one is sudden.
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/29091833.html

Sonic 1 & 2 are being removed from Wii VC and XBLA on the 30th. Sonic 1 Master System is also being taken off of the Wii VC. This might just be for Japan, of course. Worthwhile to note that at present, Wii U backwards compatibility to the Wii VC is the only way to play Sonic 1 & 2 on your Wii U, so it might be a good idea to grab these quick if that sounds appealing to you.

3. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Curious! Are they planning perhaps to put the Taxman versions instead?

4. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Don't hold your breath

5. Because they totally made an version for said platforms in secret >_>

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well Sonic Lost World PC comes to mind. Who saw that coming a month ago? A 2013 game randomly resurrected on another platform.

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    If they do, I doubt it will be for the XBLA and VC on the 360 / Wii, since they're now father/legacy consoles. TaxStealth versions showing up on the XBLA for the XB1 and Wii U VC sounds more plausible.

Also find it interesting that while Sonic 1 MS is being delisted, Sonic 2 MS and Sonic Chaos won't be. Maybe they won't be removed until later down the line? (Though it helps that both Sonic 1 MS and Sonic 2 MS are already on the 3DS VC.)

And surprise, surprise, Sonics 1 and 2 are being pulled, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles aren't...

8. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    It's precisely the fact that Sonic 1 & 2 were removed and not 3 & K that made me think about the Taxman ports possibility.
    Both games were already ported on the Retro Engine for the phones anyway so that's why I'm not ruling it out.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You proooobably shouldn't expect them to be replaced with the Taxman/Stealth remasters.

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. I REALLY want those remasters on PC...
    Although, given that they haven't pulled them on Steam, that seems unlikely.

11. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Taxman, please tell us this is true. Please.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That may be, however this is probably the most plausible "proof" of it happening so far.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Can't wait for them to release those remasters on last gen consoles then. And also Wii.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh last gen? No (well maybe 360 and PS3, Wii though absolutely not they're gone). But since the Wii's e-shop is still accessible if you have a Wii U, it makes sense that they might remove an inferior version of the same game to avoid confusion. Plus a lot of people have moved on now, so similar logic might apply to the Xbox One and PS4 (I'm not sure if those types of arcade games are still playable on newer consoles though, like can you play Daytona USA from the PS3 on the PS4 for example)?

Unlikely, ya absolutely. But I don't think it's out of the question.

15. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Since Sonic 1, 2 and 1 MS all use music done by Masato Nakamura (and he is usually credited as the copyright holder of those songs, see Smash 4 and Brawl) could it be linked to this?

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that would make some sense.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd love for this to be because of incoming Taxman/Stealth remasters but whilst possible I'd also say it's unlikely. Hopefully Taxman/Stealth can chime in here and let us know.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Were Sonic 1 and 2 put back up on the Japanese Wii VC at some point? If they didn't then I'd find it weird that Famitsu is talking about it since in 2012 all of those Wii games went including Sonic & Knuckles.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You'd think after all these years they'd try to make some arrangement to have permanent rights over the songs in Sonic 1 and 2 to prevent this stuff from happening.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hopefully we find out exactly what is going on here soon. I can't for the life of me work out why they'd remove Sonic from XBLA and the Wii - but mysteriously leave PSN alone. Unless the delisting announcement is coming soon for PSN too. Just can't work out why Sega would do this unless they plan to replace the releases with something else - echoing their previous statements to focus on quality and protect their legacy with recent comments specifically referring to Sonic. The Taxman/Stealth ports might be unrealistic but there's just no way Sega is not going to have their most loved and bought games ever unavailable on digital services. There has to be solid and constructive reasoning behind this - and that reasoning should be that they're planning to release updated ports with or without Taxman/Stealth.

Regarding the music issue everyone on NeoGAF is saying that's not the reason at all which would make sense - Sega have re-released Sonic 1 and 2 over and over again for two decades on every platform under the sun and the music has never been an issue before.