don't click here

Sega: Future Sonic games to be inspired by classic Sonic series

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Admittedly for me, I just took it as a neutral statement and decided to chip in with my own two cents. :v:

2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Well, nearly everyone in this community is passively bigoted, but in any case, we should try not to derail the topic.

3. This was the end result from this kind of topic. This isn't anything new.

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Well, I should probably explain myself when I said that "it's not about going fast or looking cool" what I was thinking of was the boost to win games which the only objective per se was going really really fast. Yeah, there were challenges and so on, but the majority of the game was boosting to go fast. And the part about looking cool I was meaning to those camera stuff or spline movement that takes away control from the player in order for Sonic to make cool shit like go really fast in a loop or corkscrew. Yeah those things have their funside and aren't disgusting or obnoxious as, say, QTEs. Having those things being rewards to good use of momentum was fun as hell, like you said, it's what momentum is all about. That's what I miss the most... pressing down on the keyboard to go faster downhil, hit an enemy while falling really fast and going miles high in the sky and find a whole new path to move through. That's what made me a huge Sonic fan when I was young. Sure the graphics were pretty, the enemies were creative and the level design was awesome but that moment were I finally earned my speed and learned how to play and avoid obstacles, that was the most fun and rewarding thing for me. It wasn't just about reaching the goal post the fastest I can, it was about navigating through the stages without making mistakes, trying to see how much ground could I cover without ever touching it, just bouncing on things or instead trying to finish the stage without losing the flow.

5. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    You know what else was "inspired by classic Sonic games"? Sonic '06's ending theme.

Sonic '06 2 confirmed.

6. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Let the hype begin :ruby:

7. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I have no idea on what you are talking about. :v:

8. winterhell

winterhell

You sure know what is the year after this one. Time for a new reboot '16
    Just like its predecessor, first Sonic on the said generation of consoles.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That feel when I wouldn't mind a Sonic 06 retake, but it's not even worth the effort from the negative around it (read: glitchy mess, human x furry, etc.)

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Just dropping in to say: Sonic 4 wasn't even all that bad. Sure, if you're expecting identical art, sound, physics to the 16-bit trilogy++ then yeah, I can understand disappointment. But for a layperson, or someone that remembers Sonic but hasn't played since "back in the day" it resembles the Sonic they know - a fast-moving blue erinaceous running loops, collecting rings, defeating Robotnik's traps gadgets. And I suspect those guys were more the target audience than we were.

Thinking about it, there's no reason to believe that's not also the focus this time. I guess I'm calling it: expect something like Sonic 4 in the way it vaguely resembles that we love, but rests deep in our own local Uncanny Valley with all that.

11. winterhell

winterhell

Sure Sonic 4 might get people to 'oh I used to play this as a kid/ 2 decades ago, I remember this'.
    But you cant present it as better remotely.
    Now for Sonic 2 Taxman Edition or perhaps Sonic 2 HD, you can ask genuinly ask people 'for what reason would you pick the original Sonic 2 over this'.
    Same for Sonic 3 Complete or BlobVanDam's concept video(if it were realized) vs S3K.

Someone mentioned Ducktales. Well, having the Remastered edition, is there someone that would prefer the original or argue that the original graphics and audio there are better?

Just look at those washed Sonic 4 colours.
    Mushroom Hill in Sonic Generations has, just like Sonic 4 Ep 1, less detail on the foreground than the original. What is the excuse, Xbox 360 and 3DS are less powerfull than a console from '88?

12. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Forgot to address this bit:

As of this writing, the company has had almost two decades to "get Sonic right in 3D." At what point does the problem with 3D Sonic game issue stop being "Sonic is a difficult franchise to translate to 3D" and the problem is instead "Sega isn't very good at making 3D Sonic games"?

Critically speaking, their best attempt at a 3D Sonic is still their first (Adventure 1...the original release anyway). And that game's problems could be more associated with lack of polish and poor game design descions, rather than Sonic still being a tough nut to crack in the 3D space.

That doesn't even get to the fact that the games that use the Unleashed playstyle they rewrote the series into when Sonic 2006 crashed and burned at the stake into semantics have a hell of a lot of 2D in them...

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Heard this song and dance before. I'll leave it to the usual, "Put up or shut up."

PR's fun and all, but it's empty unless the company actually delivers.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qW9-s3ITbU

aka the marketing team have said this before, and you should beyond caring what they have to say.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You're both wrong. They should render new sprites from the Sonic Generations model. =P

In any case, all that PR guy is saying is "they told me they're making a Sonic game and I have to start doing my thing".

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I understand the overwhelming sense of cynicism and skepticism given we've heard this song and dance about a million times before prior to every new game's release but I really think we also need to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Sonic Team have been seriously exploring this direction and succeeding with it since Sonic Generations so this direction for Sonic - and I mean a serious direction for Sonic as opposed to half-hearted failed attempts like Sonic 4 genuinely does appear to be happening. And this time it's happening across Sega as a company given their recent apologetic statements, their new CEO and their new found ethos to restore what originally made the company great.

I think the point I'm trying to make is before yeah it was probably empty PR speak that meant nothing to rally the nostalgic fans in to purchasing their new game without serious intent behind it but this time we're hearing it from Sega Europe, we're hearing it from Sega Japan and we're hearing it from their CEO. Sonic Team has demonstrated that this is the direction they'd like to explore because it's the most successful direction both critically and commercially they've seen for the series in well over a decade (Sonic Generations did well in reviews and was a decent success sales wise) so it genuinely does appear that this is the serious direction they're shifting towards this time. As in I don't think this guy's words are empty and void - I think there's genuine weight behind them. Then we have the small indications about Sonic's anniversary that have leaked out via various events that show a heavy emphasis on classic Sonic for the anniversary - and more importantly for the new game or games that will accompany it.

Everything we've heard so far indicates that they do have games that focus on classic Sonic and the original series set for the anniversary. This comment simply reinforces and strengthens what we already know. We've haven't seen anything concrete and convincing yet hence the understandable skepticism and apprehension over getting hyped - but all signs are looking promising. It does seriously look like the next game or games will have a focus on the classics and as this quotation implies draw inspiration from the original series. Whether this results in a great game or not remains to be seen. The point I'm getting to is that many of us are immediately dismissing his comments purely on the basis of being burned so many times before and therefore it's like a kneejerk defensive reaction to absolutely refuse to become hyped and excited in order to protect oneself from being disappointed again which is entirely understandable. We've simply been disappointed too many times before. Honestly though - hearing this from Sega Europe, hearing it from right at the top with Sega Japan - I really think Sega are serious this time. They want to make the company great again and Sonic is originally what achieved that.

Regarding this guys knowledge and status he's obviously referring to a project or projects coming up to which he has knowledge. Someone that high up is going to be aware of upcoming games across the company and have knowledge of upcoming projects. Sonic's popularity has always been quite profound in North America and Europe. Sonic always does well in those two territories specifically. This guy is in charge of marketing Sonic in one of the markets to which he is super popular and successful. This guy is logically going to know what games Sega Japan are working on. How would he even be able to operate in his position if he doesn't know? At an educated guess he's alluding to the classic focus for Sonic's anniversary and the games that are set to come with it. As for this thread I think the discussion holds merit as we're rapidly now approaching the point where we will see something concrete about Sega's plans quite soon as the anniversary is now drawing near.

As soon as next year dawns we'll likely see the game (or games) by Spring. I therefore think discussion about it now when there's a short window of time remaining is positive.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I dunno, you could make the argument reversely- how many times until the problem becomes obviously "Sonic doesn't work in 3d" instead of "SEGA are incompetent"? I've started going this way, I legitimately start to think you can't have a good version of Classic Sonic in 3d and the pin ball physics + level design explicitly necessitate having only two axis of movements- much like a real pin ball table, now I think of it :P

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Look, no one really knows the right direction to steer this franchise in anymore. Too many changes have created too many sects in the fanbase, and overall Sonic fans are not treated with any respect in the general gaming community (hurr durr we're all furries with little to no artistic or creative skill). Wherever it's going, it's going to take a lot more than this lip service to prove critics wrong.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The problem is more the quality of the games rather than the direction it's going in.

20. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    We don't need "classic" inspired Sonic games. We need well designed Sonic games that are fun to play.

I think they're just going to keep drawing from the aesthetics of the classic games and not the design philosophy. And while I definitely think the classics had a better grasp on how a world inhabited by cartoony animals and people should look, that doesn't mean squat if the games aren't fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.