don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Oil Ocean's art is probably too complex to work in 2P mode. Sonic 2 uses interlaced mode to double the screen height, which requires all tiles to be treated as 8x16, essentially giving you half as much potential for variations in art.

2. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    Unless you're meaning in the final game, 2P Oil Ocean works in the Beta. As a word of warning: seizures. The graphics are horribly garbled, but you can still make out the level.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Any level can "work", we're specifically talking about making levels look and work properly in 2P mode. The graphics have to be made with 2P mode in mind, and you have to ensure that there's no events that can cause one player to get stuck, such as HTZ's earthquakes.

4. Xilla

Xilla

I always assumed the latter was why some levels weren't included, if a player activates the elevators in Oil Ocean , the other would get stuck. Same with the screws in Metropolis.

5. Tanks

Tanks

It just fucking dawned on me that it's called Angel Island BEACAUSE IT'S FUCKING FLOATING IN THE SKY. All these years and my synapses never fired on that point.

6. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    http://m.phys.org/news/2005-05-sega-sonic-panasonic-mobile.html
    So there is a Sonic 1 port which was preinstalled on 6 Panasonic phones. I couldn't find any videos and downloads of it, so would anyone be interested to see a video of it? It's different than the java version. It has all the levels and a level select. My dad actually has the phone and I used to play it when I was smaller. Maybe I can try to somehow "rip" it too but I don't think that's possible.

7. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    Ah I remember that. My cousin had that game pre-installed on her phone.

As far as I remember, someone did rip the game, because I remember someone finding the Marble Zone UFOs in the game's code.

I'm not sure if and where you could get a ROM image of it sadly, but it would be neat to have.

8. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I will try to get that, but I don't think distributing it would be legal.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Given it's for a model of phone no-one has any more, I doubt anyone will care that much. =P

10. Tanks

Tanks

You say that and then next thing you fuckin know we've got random-ass planet graphics and god knows what other shit Sega feels like dredging up from their internal assets :P

11. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I'm talking about a different port. The one I'm talking about is just 1 part and has a level select option.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, I meant about the legalities of him linking the game file. =P

13. Tanks

Tanks

Hahaha gotcha. And yeah. Plz rip I'd love to take a look.

14. trykaar

trykaar

St. Louis, MO
    Sega Roguelike Exploration/Disassembly
    Not phone-related at all, but I was in Kansas City over the summer and encountered one of these Sonic the Hedgehog ticket redemption games in an arcade (Zonkers in Oak Park Mall). It's a fairly standard roll the coin down the board and try to land on particular spots to get tickets type of deal, but what interested me was that the art on the machine was all Sonic 1 badniks, but it plays the Sonic 3 title music! You can hear it at the beginning of this Youtube video.

The manual for the game scanned on the wiki is dated August 1993, so that means either there were multiple versions of this machine, or Sonic 3's title screen music was out in the wild nearly six months before the game was actually released.

A side note on the subject of phone games, if anyone has a rip of Dragon Crystal II please PM me where I can find it :)/>

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I had a dream that there was a mario style warp zone secret in Angel Island zone whereby if you could manage to get up above the top of the screen, you'd get on board the ship that does the bombing and continue on to flying battery zone. Made sense then to include it in the Sonic 3 level select.

Then I woke up.

16. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    That would make so much sense. If only I was capable of ASM hacking. :(/>

Has anyone got the Colours DS OST available for download? Everywhere I look I can't find the OST. Just a crappy rip and the Wii soundtrack. (IMO the DS had a better soundtrack. Please don't kill me.)

Also, sorry for being such a noob, but how do you quote something so it says the original source (I.e. the original member who said it)?

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Underneath the post, there's a button marked "QUOTE".

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Which shouldn't be used to quote the post directly above yours. Also quote pyramids are discouraged.

And yes, this post is a meta example of what you shouldn't do, even though it loses its charm once it's explained.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'll bear that in mind. :v:

(I don't see a problem with quoting part of the previous post to make it clear that it's that part you're replying to - as long as you're not quoting a massive 3000-word post and adding five more to it.)

20. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Sydney, Australia
    Riiight... Thanks for clearing that up, both of you. However, considering how noobily I've been going lately (that's a word now. :colbert: ), I find it quite unlikely I'm gonna get a proper membership. :(

Anyway, does anyone actually have the Colours DS OST? (Unless people have just been ignoring my heresy by suggesting that the DS version is better than the Wii version?)