don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Alright so finally got my hands on the Lost World DLC. Couldn't grab the Nights DLC since my friends code for that expired apparently they all expired Oct 2014. And there is no other way from that to get that Nights DLC from what I know unless you get it from buying the eshop version? (what a way to keep content locked away)

Anyways, here is the music from those two levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/md96x4dwgl3huja/bgm_zdlc02_streamfiles_ADXs.7z?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ps400rg3rigr0c/bgm_zdlc03_streamfiles_ADXs.7z?dl=0

Also been looking into the models. At first I thought LinkSonic's model was messed up from importing it. Apparently they just messed up the rigging and materials in general. His nose bone pulls on his forehead and the quill bone for his hat is hastily rigged.

And yes, that is now the official name for this Sonic. LinkSonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Leather Teeth anyone?)

I'm going to fix up the rig for this model and post a download mod for it for generations along with Lost World mod as well.

Also surprisingly the models from the Zelda DLC are pretty high poly like the Deku Scrub and the Goron. Looks like higher quality OOT3D/MM3D models.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Also did a bad import of Link in this. The shield is messed up.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I still haven't quite gotten over the absurdity of the Lost World DLC.

Awesome work though, this. Thanks for sharing.

3. Skitt64

Skitt64

Everyone? Huge news.
    The Sonic modding community may have just been saved. Also, Sonic Lost World is gonna become WAY easier to mod.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/329440

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Well it seems like most of the work for this is already done except for the same problem regular Generations modding suffers from: the editor needs to be finished with most of its features implemented. HOWEVER, due to the nerfed engine of Lost World it should be far simpler to write a Terrain importer. There's like zero of the functionality that caused the most problems in Generations. Do note there might be some limitations internally when trying to push the engine, and it'll likely not perform as well as Generations did. I think GLVL will need a few camera schemes to help out with editing the unconventional layouts too. This game might be a good motivation to start the Qt5 rewrite I guess.

Mostly the PC version will need its equivalent of CPKREDIR like Generations had, since this game works with CPK files as well. Otherwise it'll be pretty annoying to install and use mods. What's left on figuring out is a bunch of details on the model/material headers that mark the meshes to have stuff like grass or such.

While I'm not interested in making much stuff for this game myself (gameplay/lack of time), the barrier of entry should be FAR lower for anyone interested when compared to Generations, since you can just ignore all the gravity stuff if you want and the levels can be much shorter.

FWIW, Zoney's Whomp Fortress in Lost World video was all done with the public version of LibGens/SonicGLvl on the repo IIRC.

EDIT: Maybe the editor will need a rename too. :v:

5. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    HedgehogLvl?

Assuming of course that the other Hedgehog Engine games get ported as part of Sega's new initiative.
    Though I'd love for the functionality of the editor to expand to include LibS06, even though it sadly probably won't come to PC.

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

I think I'll just keep the current name for less confusion. However I'm thinking of using compiler macros to generate different exes instead, to make game-specific features much easier to support without accidentally breaking one game or the other. So the same codebase would generate a bunch of different executables for each game. The first one to be supported will probably be Lost World for now.

Each game will likely need its own database folder as well.

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That sounds like a good idea. Does Lost World depend on a specific version of 3DS Max, like Generations does?

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

If you're interested in editing Animations or Skeletons, yes. I don't recall if there was any sort of Rigid Body files for anything else at the moment. The level collision is a new type of collision that needs to be created with the SDK and can't be created with the 3DS Max Plugin. Therefore, it'll be a Geometry File -> HKX transition, so no specific version of Max will be necessary.

The limited version will depend on which version of Havok the port uses. If it's the same as the Wii U version, it'll be Havok 2012 2.0. We'll need to wait until release to know what version will be needed, but again, it'll be just limited to wanting to edit Animations or Skeletons.

9. Skitt64

Skitt64

If skeletons/animations are the only things being limited by the 3DS Max version, does that mean that character model/level mods will be possible with maybe even a completely different program?

Also, was there any character physics files found in Lost World like in Generations? The first thing anyone is going to want to do is make Sonic fast.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually, I just thought about this today. Sonic never goes underwater in this game, and doesn't run on top of it either. Does this game have anything in it's physics files to accommodate underwater levels?

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Just a heads up, if you really want level editing to take off for this game, your editor needs to come with all of the most useful slopes/shapes packed into prefabs that can be locked together like lego pieces, as well as a boot-to-stage-from-editor mode. We have boot-to-stage in an experimental build of the SADX editor and the difference is unbelievable. Going back would be like losing all but one of your monitors, or going back to drawing with a mouse instead of a tablet.

12. Paraxade

Paraxade

Lost World doesn't have physics config files like Generations. Most of that stuff is hardcoded AFAIK.

I'm pretty sure direct terrain editing isn't a planned feature. I wouldn't bother with it either; there's already tools available like Max and Maya that offer pretty good geometry editing interfaces, so why bother putting a lot of time and energy into making what will end up being a worse version of something that already exists?

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    You misunderstand me, I'm not saying you need to include geometry editing tools. What you should do is provide pre-made, modular geometry that can be moved around and duplicated. The main reason you want this is because moving pieces of the world and adjusting the camera/item layouts are not separate tasks. Switching back and forth from max to glvl because you had to move an island is a huge productivity block. You want to be able to move/rotate and island and all the item/camera items that go along with it. Think something like the portal 2 editor. Also, I don't know if you've noticed this but there aren't many people in this community that do 3d modeling.

14. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    GLVL in the Repo was able to let you move Meshes it loaded. Wasn't very convenient though.

There are people in this community that can 3d model but don't know how to use these tools in GLVL to do something with it. Hence the guy who made Music Plant didn't really get into GLVL cause of the curve of learning all the stuff. I'm sure we can model some basic geometry for people to use. Not sure it would be for GLVL though maybe just importable for max.

I mean I'd be down for modeling geometry stuff like that for people to use. I just don't know if Dario would bother implementing that. (In the end though it basically would become Sonic Dash like with 3d tilesets)

15. Amnimator

Amnimator

I'm also willing to make models for level designers to use but I'm not sure how many people are interested in the first place. Anyway, custom levels are arguably the most important type of mod for Sonic games and if we want custom levels to exist we'll need it as painless as possible. Dario's unfinished GLVL was a giant step in the right direction: The interface was cleaner, fbx support so people can use programs other than Max, etc. We really just need a complete version of that.

16. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Adding to the idea, it would be nice to have clean, collision-only building blocks for quickly prototyping level designs and building art from in case you have enough 3D modeling knowledge.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

Something like this sounds a bit more plausible to get behind. If we're mostly thinking of just an exported mesh file with a bunch of reference points set as "connection" points it might be very simple to implement for the sake of quick prototyping. They could use a very simple material with a grid-like texture, to make it stand out even more that it's meant for prototyping.

Keep in mind it's not a top priority though, but the idea sounds interesting enough.

18. Paraxade

Paraxade

So Lost World PC's formats are largely identical to the Wii U formats. The main difference is endianness - most of the files are little endian on PC vs big endian on Wii U (they didn't just leave everything big endian this time like they did with Generations). There's also a difference in how files are organized in the pac format, which Dario and Zoney are looking into. Overall it probably won't be very hard to get the tools running with the PC version.

Since Dario's been busy lately, I might try to update my Lost World fork of GLvl to work on PC, if I have time. In the meantime, I just updated my path2 importer/exporter Maxscripts, so those should now work with both PC and Wii U files. https://github.com/parax0/libgens-sonicglvl-lostworld/tree/master/scripts

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Oh, that's neat to know. Speaking of which, any chance of extracting the sound (not music) files to wav yet?

20. Paraxade

Paraxade

No idea, don't know anything about the sound formats. I think Zoney told me the audio files are now HCA instead of DSP, so probably.