don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The rail levels were terrible. Nice music, but really rubbish otherwise. Went they didn't do more Honeycomb levels is a total mystery though. That one was really fun.

I'd love to see how an 06 stage (or even the Castle Town hub) plays out in Lost World.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I liked the rail levels. I imagine that it won't be too hard to make more of those. Might even be a decent place to start with making levels as well cause of the simplicity.

Also, I wouldn't mind it if people just wouldn't bother porting Sonic 2006 levels into the game this time around. Really just a waste of effort unless it'd be done as practice.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Says a lot that they were my favorite levels in the game then. I honestly REALLY liked Lava Mountain 2 on a challenge perspective, and even then, it wasn't as bad as Ian Flynn and LBD made it look on their stream (they spend a good couple of hours getting slaughtered there.)

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But the mach speed zones would actually work, since that's exactly what Honeycomb highway is.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I thought the rail levels were the best levels in the game, too. They were the only time Sonic felt like he had weight that pushed him down things quickly. :v:

But yeah really for that reason I'd say they beat everything else the game threw at me. The mach sections were fun (loved how the homing attack worked in them), but I wish you could've done a sort of spindash/roll thing while going through them. I feel like that was a lost opportunity.

6. Falk

Falk

Fair enough. I'm just expecting to have to wade through a deluge of ____ the ____ character replacement mods.

7. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    We are trying at least.

Me and my friend ?????? have been working on this level for about a month now. He's done most of the work and I'm doing touch ups and designing the layout in GLVL and making sure things work and at a right length. Since we haven't seen anyone do a good custom level yet.

It'll end up looking better in the end, but this is about half way done so far. And we plan for it to be somewhat outstanding for a fan approach since we know the distance Sonic travels and how fast he goes and how high he jumps from testing. For us its just a matter of us having time to do things when you got school and work. Most people don't want to put in the effort that others would be expecting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs more foliage and other things near the end but the main chunk set pieces are pretty much done and the collision. We test as well to make sure the stuff works so we don't have to keep editing if it just won't work.

But yeah I expect people to port Sonic Colors or Sonic 06 since that would better fit the gameplay for the latter and for the former since Colors uses the same layout formats as well as Lost world. Expect to see more characters going over Sonic and other character mod replacements since those are easy and don't take as much time. I can see a lot more potential for custom levels compared to Unleashed/Gens formula. Should be a nice breath of air for the community.

8. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    The rail stages surprisingly reminded me of minecart levels from Donkey Kong Country, so though they might not have seemed like the best fit for Sonic they at least worked for me.

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    My only issues with the rail levels are still the instant-kill bomb carts (if I recall, you lose a life instantly even as Super Sonic, maybe?). Pluck those out and that level would lose some challenge, but become instantly much more fun to me.

If any talented, wonderful folk start pumping out LW: Rail Stage Edition mods, I'm so there.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The 1-hit KO carts were the worst, especially when trying for the RSRs. They just felt a bit too cheap. On the plus side, it was only on those levels that Sonic actually carried his momentum (or whatever the correct scientific terminology is) when jumping. The rest of the game is entirely dependant on the run button and keeping a-hold of the directional input, ala Sonic 4. Like Azukara said, he actually had weight. So I can give the levels that. But still, they really weren't much fun to play. Not like Desert Ruins 1, which is the absolute best level in the game by a mile as far as I'm concerned.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aReWdvmLzM

It's the only place in the game where the new boost-style spindash really comes into it's own.

It's astonishing how many people don't realise how the spindash works in this game and just let it slow down to the halt. Personally, I even beat the game one and it wasn't until I went back to get all the RSRs that I realised you can keep it going infinitely. Considering no previous Sonic game has had as many abilities or as complex a control scheme as Lost World, Sonic Team really dropped the ball with this game's rubbish tutorial system.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    $24/€24 on Get Games Go: http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/sonic-lost-world

Thanks to Dario for linking it to me on Twitter.

12. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Holy shit I hadn't thought about the obvious Classic Sonic model mod.

brb pre-ordering.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I freaked out when I saw this news. Favorite 3D Sonic game coming to PC, with most of the research required to mod it already done? Count me in.
    + - Now just give us ShTH, 06, Unleashed, and Colors.  

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    With Dario opting to do other things (don't blame him, this stuff is hard work,) I wonder who will take up the cowl now? He certainly wasn't the only one filtering through Generations. And all we know right off the bat is that Lost World is the Hedgehog Engine neutered.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is he totally opting out? It seems like he may do some work if the Lost World thread in the hacking section is any indication.

Plus at the very least since the games are structurally similar it won't be as hard to get into hacking this game.

16. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The existing tools are actually enough to work with Lost World, they're just badly organized and the pipeline is annoying. I want to attempt doing a quick re-organization one week before release, including most of Zoney and Paraxade's research into Lost World's Paths/Object sets.

Really the biggest problem is getting the equivalent of CPKREDIR for Lost World like Generations had, otherwise we'll have to go back to packing big files for modding again. If Korama's willing to do it or share the code for the Generations' version it will make it a lot easier to iterate.

EDIT: That or anyone who's capable of making something similar will be welcome.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Finally! I'm looking forward to LW levels with Generation's shaders, lighting and DoF.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    This is kinda unrelated, but I do hope we get a replacement, or at least a major upgrade, to CPKREDIR. It always had some annoying issues. Do we think it will ever support redirection within the .ar files in the CPKs? Some .ar files contain big chunks of content, and being able to use two mods that simultaneously modify different parts of an .ar file without them conflicting would be amazing.

19. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

This is amazing news! I just heard about it today, so I'm a little late to the party. XD

Anyways, I hope they port other Sonic games to PS4/XOne too. Heck, even giving the PS Vita a port or two wouldn't hurt.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Aside from all the money they'd lose on porting games to that system. :v: