don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    INotice that the Steam version is dropping just over two years after the Wii U release, which strongly suggests that the contract was based on time elapsed since release, rather than calendar year. I'd be willing to bet they couldn't release it on PC any sooner than they are. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version has been complete for a while now and just waiting for the exclusivity period to end.

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Well you don't see that platform combination everyday. :v:

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    They had to do a complete rewrite. Don't you know that when developing Wii U exclusive games, you run a special version of Visual Studio directly on the Wii U, and none of it is transferrable to PC? :eng101:

+ - </this is what some idiot app appers actually believe>  

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's true, I have nearly forty lines of code out of some five-digit number altogether that are included/excluded depending on the version.

You know how long it takes to write forty lines of code? It's about £40 of work! I don't think SEGA have that kind of budget.

etc. etc. etc.

5. Forty pounds? That's as many as four tens.

And that's terrible.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    So if the exclusivity deal is over, does it mean the mobile games can be released on other platforms?

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

People have actually been asking for that, so obviously it's not going to happen.

8. First off, wtf is this "deal" and why is every one acting like it's a real thing when no one has the slightest clue about anything of that nature.

Second:
    Even if this deal was real what the devil does Nintendo have to do with the remasters?

9. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    They're referring to this from a few years ago. From it, we got Olympics, Lost World and Boom.

Also, I can't wait for someone to port Mario Galaxy levels into this.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And building on that, I believe it's been stated that that deal is the reason that the remastered versions of S1 and S2 have remained mobile exclusive (the deal only seemed to cover console/PC games with mobiles being exempt).

We may not know the details of the deal, but it was certainly a real thing. Presumably it was "the next three Sonic titles/any Sonic title released in the next two years (of which three were planned) must be released exclusively on Nintendo platforms or mobiles". Something like that I guess.

11. camcommunicates

camcommunicates

Great news as I wasn't going to get a Wii U anytime soon to play this properly. It's a great idea for them to do this money wise though, and the sooner they do this for all their high demand titles the better. They would have lost some good $$$ with the hype of Shenmue 3, as I cannot imagine the people that resorted to emulation and second hand copies to replay or be introduced to Shenmue.

12. Yes, I know about that, but there isn't anything to state that any of this was timed to begin with. It's just a deal that says 3 Sonic games on Nintendo consoles.

13. Covarr

Covarr

The three-game exclusivity thing was announced two years ago. That's just about all they formally said about exclusivity (I think this was the most detail they actually gave us in one statement), but the rest can be safely deduced based on a combination of future evidence and industry norm.

Among other things, Lost World MUST have been a timed exclusive and not a permanent one, because clearly they're releasing it on a non-Nintendo platform. I'd think that speaks for itself.

14. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Why wouldn't they release it on Last Gen/Current Gen consoles then, so far it seems to be coming out just on PC

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It's very likely the cheapest and easiest option. No licensing fees, no QC, no disc printing, no porting of any new code to these other platforms. This seems like a digital-only release after all.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Just a theory, but what if it works like the console exclusive games on Xbox or PS consoles? Like SFV, Ryse, FFXVI, the FFVII remake (not announced but very likely with the first on PS4 at the end of the trailer), Shenmue 3, and so on, so the exclusivity only counts for actual home consoles and excludes pc and mobiles.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes this, holy crap 1000x this.

18. Covarr

Covarr

We already know mobiles were excluded, by the presence of the Sonic 1 and 2 releases on iOS/Android. I've seen it said (DISCLAIMER: I can't remember where so I don't know if this is inside info or speculation, but probably the latter) that the exclusivity agreement was why these didn't come to consoles or PC. Much like Lost World itself, it just doesn't make much sense for them to ignore a potentially profitable platform until people have already lost interest just for the sake of it.

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    If this means Sonic 1 and 2 Taxman ports coming to PC, sign me up.

20. OBLIGATORY MAYBE BAYONETTA 2 PC PORT PLZ, POST.

I know, I know, Nintendo financed it, It wont happen, to much Nintendo stuff to actually carve out.

That 3 game exclusivity deal always confused the heck out of me. I mean Sonic: Lost World is a legit Sonic game (kinda), so that one I understand. Then Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics 2014... which, in my mind, had no real business being there because they haven't missed an Olympic event since the series began. AND a new one is coming out. And of course Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. *cough* (I saw that for £35 in Game on sale. I felt insulted.)

Just always felt a bit like Nintendo wanted Sega to say there are 3 exclusive Sonic Wii U games when there was only one in Development and one hastily shoved on to the Wii U despite being planned for Xbone/PS4(apparently). Maybe it was literally make no Sonic games on rival consoles for 4-5 years? Maybe I'm crazy. Just a bit weird that there has been seemingly nothing Sonic announced for New Gen.

Doesn't matter really though. PC port of an average Sonic game coming and an entire community of people ready to hack it to pieces. Good times. MAKE OIL OCEAN PLEASE. Love You.