don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Pengi

Pengi

Lara-Su's wall of text backstory in her character profile brought this Onion article to mind.

2. Retroman

Retroman

Whoops, that's a typo. I agree! He's at-least a good comedian

And he's probably got like 20 fans? And even they are not sure what to think of him. They like him because he is so bad at what he's doing that it magically becomes good.

I guess he's one of the very stubborn kind of idiot that won't change despite all the truths and facts coming out. Doesn't matter how many times it hits his head, his head is too thick to get through. This man is a very 'special' type of butthead. And that's an insult to other Butt-heads.

Even a little kid would grow out of it. Unfortunately, his wife has to baby sit this idiot. Oh well, more humour value for the community.

Relevant:
    [​IMG]

3. Tylinos

Tylinos

The fans he does have just happen to like his writing and art, simple as that. I've seen crazier. Remember, Rob Liefeld's awful art was so beloved in the 90s that it practically became an industry standard for a while. And as much as many people may despise the writing of the Twilight series, it's sold incredibly well.

I don't have any problem with someone liking Ken's stuff, myself. Most of his fans I've seen are completely normal, nice people. (The big exception being FuhrerMustang / Roy Mustang / Naugus, who acts like an asshole to people when they say negative things about Ken or positive things about Ian, and says he's preparing to sue Ian for saying Naugus' race is now troll because he or his brother once trolled Ian's forum under the name Naugus. No, I'm not joking.)

The thing is, though, you're right about Ken being completely unwilling to change despite what most people say about his work. He's shown absolutely no indication of wanting to improve his writing or artistic capabilities, and instead makes excuses for every single thing people criticize, or in rare cases, half-hearted changes. (Like when he showed off the cover of TLSC, said it was the final cover, argued against every criticism people gave of it, and then a few days later offhandedly said that it really was never supposed to be the final cover and he'd already planned a few changes.)

4. LOL. This is golden.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Related:

[​IMG]

6. Retroman

Retroman

I'm scared.

[​IMG]
    Knuckles comes from an inbred line of families apparently, because everyone looks the same!

7. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I don't even know what to say about Knuckles' family. It went from Knuckles with fingers to Knuckles heads... eugh. Would echidnas even have glasses to begin with? They sound like they'd be a bit too tribal to get to use that.

Also, Knuckles' father's beard looks like a spike coming straight out of his flesh, instead of an actual beard.

8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    you can't honestly tell me they wrote that without intended double meaning.

9. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    In Ken's grand Echidna narrative, by the time the Floating Island actually became a floating island, the Echidna society was already highly advanced, technologically speaking. The plan to use the Chaos Emeralds to lift the landmass into the sky wasn't some tribal thing where they dared to go against the gods, like the games. Instead, they were scientists who were taking a page out of the book of Krypton. Instead of a whole planet getting destroyed, it was just their city, and instead of just...I don't know, moving to another location, the best idea they had was to lift the city up into the sky, in the process becoming isolated from the rest of the world.

At some point, technology was decided to be a bad thing. The police went around and collected all sorts of tech, and those who were against the idea became The Dark Legion. However, the rest of society that didn't become The Dark Legion were still wrapped up in technology. They still lived in modern cities, they still had access to cars and weaponry and all sorts of nonsense that their beliefs apparently told them was bad. And yet? They would decry the Dark Legion (a terrible name if you're trying to garner support on a political issue), though the Legion's only difference seemed to be that they loved to shove electronics in their face. If that was actually the main reason behind the divide, that would have been ok. But it wasn't. Because through the entire series, they just went on and on about technology in general, even though the Brotherhood Of Guardians used tech extensively, spying on everyone and everything on the island!

Perhaps Ken wanted these contradictions because he wanted to write a story that really examined how the system had fallen apart, and that Knuckles would set things right. But he never got to that point, even though he wrote on the Knuckles strip for over a decade. And even if he had been left to work on it, I can't say that he would have ever reached a satisfactory conclusion. Hell, the Mobius: 25 Years Later story really didn't offer much insight into these contradictions, especially since people who had tried to kill Knuckles over and over again were allowed to just live with everyone normally instead of...I don't know...being in jail. Unless they were in jail, but there's no hint to that, either.

It's so weird, and was leaps and bounds from the source material even back in the 90's. I get there wasn't much to go on, but you'd think he could have come up with a few more story ideas before reintroducing a million echidnas into the narrative.

10. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    I guess this is a double post but hey I mean

[​IMG]

Nothing about that page makes sense. A sly reference to Planet of the Apes somehow results in technobabble that has no reference point that somehow evolves into how space is dangerous but shoot to kill right lol star trek parody songs

rescue mission what rescue mission

I mean I know mobius explodes for some reason in the beginning of the story but how would random alien civilization that is human like overlanders I guess oh god even know anything happened have they just been silently watching ken's original characters running around for years because they have nothing better to do

also this

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So how long before Anthony Mackie sues for use of his likeness without permission?

Another thing to add to the "list of s**t that doesn't make sense" is that the character is clearly not pleased in the text, yet he's got a great big grin traced over his face.

12. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    My thoughts exactly. What the hell Penders, you can't just go around tracing photographs of people like that, especially in a "professional" comic.

It just keeps getting worse...

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh.... oh wow. That's hilarious, coming from Mr Copyright himself.

14. So that was Mackie? For a second I thought that was Mike Tyson.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
  16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seems pretty expected. Take existing character, make one change, give name with a hyphen in it and boom, you have your own new original character donut steal.

Fuckin Christ Penders...

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    If there were ten stages to digital painting, I'm barely touching stage four, but Penders wouldn't even be at stage one. The connection between the neck and that awfully flat helm interior mesh is so- I get mad at myself redrawing hands four times over, and he finds this acceptable? The head he shopped in there isn't even the proper angle for that pose, which only makes it look worse.

This isn't remotely entertaining anymore; it's a digitally photo collaged monstrosity with really big brushes and poorly implemented low-res textures. I wouldn't be surprise if he even perspective warped the body to get that foreshortening, instead of doing it himself.

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    He's also taking bloody forever just to get out issue 1.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is true.

God damn Penders release this trainwreck already. I want to read this while playing Sonic 06 and watching the Room. I shall then proceed to fall into an alcohol induced coma.

20. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I feel like Ken Penders would have made a killing doing the art for unlicensed NES games.