don't click here

Sonic Social Media Shenanigans (This totally just happened...)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ashura96, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Perhaps they reused the recordings from Nakamura's S1+2 soundtrack release? Two birds/one stone and all that.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It comes down to getting rid of the Happy Tree Friends guys. They've kinda overstayed their welcome.

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think the biggest problem with most of the more recent Sonic characters is that, well, they have no legitimate character development or iteration to speak of; they remain statically capsulized between games as they were when they first appeared, in personality and in appearance. Even Amy hasn't changed so much as a frill on her dress since Sonic Adventure released on the Dreamcast.

Their designs are more than likable, and it's no surprise that kids growing up with Sonic loved them, but what's there to like about an empty player avatar? So of course a good deal of us don't care for them, and wouldn't miss them if they disappeared entirely.

Thanks to all the screen-time characters like Blaze get, and the simple, yet effective development she was given in the Rush games, I hear lots of praise for her, and I love her a lot myself. (In fact, I would have stopped caring about the series nearly a decade ago if she didn't show up.) I agree with Jason that she ticks a lot of boxes Knuckles should have had; she's visually distinct and has her own identity as a character.

Screen-time isn't always enough, though. His own game later, and we all still hate Shadow, and while I adore Cream's design, she wrote the book on Mary Sue. Sticks in Sonic Boom's cartoon is showing herself to be more likable, so what does that say? Characters need flaws, room to improve themselves, etc. Most of the games' casts simply don't have that, and because of it, we were never given many reasons to care that they exist at all.

When I thought this couldn't go any higher in silliness, THEY TOPPED IT- I wonder who painted this, it's hilarious.

4. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Yeah, you're right. Some of them have had character development around the Adventure era, for example, and then it just stopped. For instance, in SA1, Tails grew quite confident and found that he was actually perfectly capable of doing things on his own without Sonic after all... but since then, he's just stayed as Sonic's sidekick and hasn't changed. In the same game, Amy becomes much more capable of defending herself and decides to try and make Sonic "respect her" instead of blindly lusting after him... which lasted all of one cutscene, because she's been running around after him with hearts in her eyes again ever since. In SA2, Shadow goes from being angry and vengeful to realising that he's made a really bad mistake, and then dies to protect the earth... until he gets resurrected out of nowhere in Heroes, and had the "who am I again?" story recycled a couple of times as well as going back to being angsty (and boring). Sonic Heroes re-established Knuckles as just another generic "friend" character for Sonic, rather than the strong but gullible Master Emerald guardian that we knew and loved, and he's sadly stayed the same ever since then for some reason.

And you know what else I think it is? The sheer number of characters. When there are so many, some of them get shoved out in favour of others before they get a chance to have any sort of character development, which is a real shame because a lot of them have so much potential.

Also, the next two polls are up: Metal Sonic vs Blaze and Rouge vs Vector. At the time of making this post, Metal Sonic is only winning by 5% (no surprises that it's so close) and Vector by 18%.

It was quite hard to decide between Metal Sonic and Blaze because I honestly love them both an awful lot - but Metal Sonic got my vote in the end, just because he's so damn iconic and has been a firm favourite of mine since the 90s. With the other poll, please don't all hate on me for this, but I actually went for Rouge rather than Vector =P

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Has Shadow been relevant since '06 though? '06 is the best version of Shadow's personality.

He found out his past and he just...dealth with it. Now he's like...strictly business.

6. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    This is definitely the big problem. On an individual character by character basis, most of them are decent-- not necessarily that exciting, but with development and focus they could be okay. But with so many characters, none of them really had any time to stand out in a significant way and so they just get thrown onto the ever-growing pile. A lot of the time instead of creating a new character, they could've used an older one in the same role and given them some much-needed personality.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I have to agree, actually. It was one of the few positive points of 06 for me.

#BanJen2015

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, I did as well. =P

#ModSolidarity

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm disappointed that Rouge is losing by such a margin.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It's time for a Retro Mutiny.

Is this what you wanted, Ruby? To tear us apart like this?

11. MartiusR

MartiusR

I'm living under the rock, so could someone explain me, what's the ruckus with these polls?

And how am I supposed to choose between Metal Sonic and Blaze? Both are awesome, I want both of them as winner :P

I can't blame you, Rouge has very important role in Sonic universe.

What, you don't know what role?

It's biological. Rouge is the only female character who has, well.. Fully "developed" physical attributes of woman. So, she's the only fertile female among all antropomorphic animals in Sonic universe. If it wasn't for Rouge, all this kind would extinct. Hah, you say that Vanilla is an exception? Since there is no father, Cream was adopted.

It's science. You can't argue with that :specialed:/>/>

Dang, why this spoiler doesn't work as it should?

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Having small breasts doesn't stop a woman from being fertile, y'know.

Although it does explain Japan's declining birth rate...

13. MartiusR

MartiusR

How could you, Rouge is one and only, and she's preserving unique kind from extinction!

(I know, just kidding, it's impossible anyway to threat seriously "these things" in Sonic universe ;))

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'm more anticipating for when the spike against Shadow happens. I'd love to see a Metal Sonic vs. Eggman final.

Eggman has largely rebounded by how horribly he was booked as a villain from Sonic Heroes on and while he's still not particularly evil, he's extremely charismatic, which is a great trait for a villain. Mike Pollock especially helps there because the man himself is a delight.

Metal Sonic is probably the best character in the series bar-none because of how awesome his design is (sleek and clean) and his elevated role as being Eggman's right-hand man. Doesn't really need much more character than being a death robot designed to target Sonic and friends. It's a great rebound again from that stupid insurrection he mounted in Heroes. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing his bulkier counterpart Mecha Sonic return and the two feud.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    At least Neo Metal Sonic looked cool (even if he was only fully shown for a few seconds.

16. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

I really don't see the point of these character polls unless there's some secret Sega illuminati "whoever wins will actually do something" thing going on. All the characters are (for the most part) stupidly underutilized and undefined, so the only basis we have for liking anyone (other than Sonic I guess) is what we think the character could or should be, or how many of 'le dank memes' are attached to them. That includes the kiddies who have just discovered Sonic Adventure 2 and treat it like a Shonen Jump anime, which is still a thing for some reason. :psyduck:

I know everyone's already sort of saying this but I'm kind of late to the party, so I wanted to get a word in edgewise.

:v:

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    What we need is a triumpant return of a T-1000-esque Silver Sonic back from the brink of obscurity
    [​IMG]
    :colbert:

18. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    YES, THIS PLEASE.

19. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    ;_;

...Well, it's nice to see that there's still someone around here that I can count on =P

Yep, same here. I'd absolutely love to see Metal Sonic beat Shadow - I'm sure he will, but I reckon it'll be very close indeed because of Shadow's army of fanboys. A Metal Sonic vs Eggman final would be the best outcome, in my opinion, because they're arguably the best two characters in this poll.

20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    [​IMG]