don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I wonder if that was just an Expansion Pack thing. I've just remembered Majora's Mask having much jerkier animations on a PAL system (probably to make the timing closer to the 60Hz version) than what I've seen from the GameCube days onwards.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I assumed that this was well known around here already, but seeing how this game isn't mentioned on the wiki or didn't even have a Sega Retro page until I made one yesterday, I'm just going to assume most people here don't know about it.

So in this interview from the Sega Mega Drive Collection about Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, Shun Nakamura said that Silver's powers were actually meant for a cancelled action game that was going to use psychokinetic powers (at 1:26):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyP_0ZihYSM

I'm pretty sure that this game was Fifth Phantom Saga, a FPS that was being developed by Sonic Team in which you controlled a phantom that has powers very similar to those of Silver's. Mainly: it can carry stuff around using telekinesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfD4PSPA1cM

This trailer was shown at E3 2005, with another trailer at TGS that same year. Afterwards Sega went quiet on the game and it became vaporware. Then everyone forgot about it probably because it just looked like an incredibly bland JoJo game.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Weird. So today I picked up a used copy of Sonic Advance 2 for shits and gigs and started playing it. Everything seems fine, except for some reason Knuckles isn't unlocked. That in and of itself isn't that strange, but the person who owned the game before beat the rest of the levels after Sky Canyon as Sonic...

So how the hell do I get Knuckles?

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    He probably fucked it up through an Action Replay or Gameshark code or something. Might just have to restart, or find a cheat device yourself.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that sounds about right, I reset the game data. Shame, Tails had all the Chaos Emeralds, and only Tails for some reason. It was a weird save file

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That much is normal. All the characters have get the Emeralds individually in Advance 2. Unlocking Amy seems like a worthwhile tradeoff for all of that effort, until you finally get her and it dawns on you that she's just a Sonic reskin on that game.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no I remember that, just thought it was funny Tails had all the emeralds yet Sonic and Cream had none (since Cream is just as easy to get those sadistic red ring predecessors as Tails is)

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Yeah connecting the dots it becomes pretty obvious, I'd just like to see them actually state things for once. And admit, like, "we cancelled this".

9. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Somehow, I think part of the reason SEGA and Sonic Team are reluctant to admit much of anything in the way of fault has to do with the whole Asian culture thing of wanting-to-keep-face - even when your actions themselves do otherwise humiliate you, you wanna keep some shred of dignity by not admitting you fucked up.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I know this post is a month old, but I'm just now catching up on the forums after a while away.

Speculation: The W Block doubled your Rings, making it easier to collect a continue in the Special Stage. If this is the case, I wonder if it doubled the current Ring total or acted as a doubler for subsequently collected Rings.

11. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I was listening to a Tangerine Dream CD that I got yesterday. First track finishes, and second track starts...

Well, there's a percussion loop at the middle that sounds like it got sampled for, or used the same pattern (preset?), as Dr EGGMAN's theme, ust slightly slower. It was bugging me for a minute, until I remembered where I heard it before.

https://youtu.be/Fnn9LKRJKH8?t=138
    https://www.youtube....h?v=CvERHiTfx9w

Just something cool that caught my ear.

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Pretty sure that's the sample! Good ear... :v:

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Say... I don't think we've seen this classic Robotnik artwork anywhere else, have we?
    [​IMG]
    (Source)

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Not that I remember. Dammit where's my classic Sonic artbook

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    That's new to me. Nice find :)

I've seen this one, which is kinda similar, but that's as close as it gets as far as I'm aware:

[​IMG]

16. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    So I found something odd in the original Sonic 1. Actually, I remember coming across this bug while playing the game on one of the Sega plug 'n' play consoles when I was 10.

If you beat the final boss and hold the A button as the screen changes from Final Zone to the Ending cut-scene, debug mode automatically turns itself on which allows you to enter object placement mode and freely roam the GHZ cut-scene level without ever having to enter the debug mode code. Of course it only lasts within the ending cut-scene and the code still needs to be entered to use debug mode throughout the rest of the game. I just thought this was kinda neat.

I've tested this in both revision 00 and revision 01 and the bug is in both versions.

I didn't see this on the wiki nor have I heard anybody talk about it before, please excuse me if this is a well known bug.

17. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Wha...? I thought you only had to hold A during a level transition, not necessarily just on the title screen.

18. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    Nono, Clownacy, What I said is you can enter debug mode by holding the A button down during the transition from Final Zone to the GHZ ending cut scene without ever entering the debug code.

I didn't ever say anything about the Title Screen.

19. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  20. The Impossible Dingo

The Impossible Dingo

Socially maladjusted Member
    Sydney, Australia
    My game with an extremely long name!
    XD I wonder what his getaway vehicle looked like, GT Koopa!

Might not be the right place to post this, but back when I was 6 or 7 (About 7 or 8 years ago) I recall playing what seemed like really dodgy Sonic prototypes. There was a level called "Sydney Zone" that was basically Oil Ocean and Wood Zone put together, with big, wooden floating cages that operated like the gun platforms in Wing Fortress (The flip-out kind you had to do a horrendous platforming segment over). And the last level in Sonic 1 had you fight a dragon in 2.5D (May have been the Story of Thor that influenced this. :ssh:/> )

My past is a weird and twisted place. Which is why I'm making a game about it. :specialed:/>