don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    Ah, okay. It's been a while since I've messed around with .obj files, so I forgot they were .mtl files.

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Say, what would I have to do to extract the models of the chao Library and Playground to obj format?

Like with the windy valley chao garden I'd like to port them over to the source engine for Gmod and SFM.

I remember trying useing a 3d model ripper on the program meant to view the landtable of those rooms, but I never did get it to work.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    SALVL should be able to export an OBJ just fine.

4. Glaber

Glaber

ok, now I just have to figure out how to use it. I hate to say this, but I'm flying blind here.

do you have any documentation for beginners?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Not really. It should be just a matter of putting the stuff from the SA2PC folder in SA Tools into your SA2 folder, running splitdata_dll.bat, and opening Data_DLL\objLandTableKinderLi.sa2lvl and Data_DLL\objLandTableKinderPl.sa2lvl in SALVL and exporting an OBJ from the File menu.

6. Glaber

Glaber

Hey, even this little instruction is better than nothing at all.

Thank you. :)

Edit:
    SUCCESS!

7. Spanish:

Espero que haya una forma de importar los niveles de Sonic Adventure 1 a Sonic Adventure 2.

English:

I hope there is a way to import the levels of Sonic Adventure 1 to Sonic Adventure 2.

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

Something interesting: I've always had problems running SA2 in fullscreen mode with my gpu. Today I finally thought that it would just be nice to be able to have a windowed "borderless" mode like some games have. I found this steam guide, which surprisingly actually worked! This "mod" of sorts requires you to download a modded launcher. What's odd is that it still uses the normal launcher as well. Anyway, it did fix my issue and I can now play in a windowed borderless mode, making it "fullscreen". However, if you use this mod you won't be able to actually run the game in a normal windowed mode.

Does anyone have any experience modding games to add windowed borderless options? It'd be nice to just have one .exe for the launcher and to be able to have windowed, full screen, and windowed borderless options in it.

9. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    Try Borderless Gaming. I have no experience with Sonic Adventure 2 in windowed mode, but most if not all games seem to work with Borderless Gaming. You basically run it, sit it in the taskbar, and whenever a game can do windowed at your monitor resolution, you tell Borderless Gaming to attach it fullscreen.

I personally use the WINkey + F6 combo for it. It's an extra step compared to the program's ability to set games for automatic borderless, but I prefer the combo because some games behave weirdly and can cause temporal loops that warrant a CAD to stop.

I've not been displeased by it, though games like UT2004 refuse to work with it, and the temporal loops, like I said, on games like Minecraft. Not mentioning other older titles like TF2 which don't offer borderless mode, Borderless Gaming takes care of all that.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I did exactly that with the SADX Mod Loader. There are two reasons why the SA2 Mod Loader doesn't have equivalent functionality (yet?): first off, until recently it was sort of stuck in a mid-update limbo while the SADX one kept getting new features, and secondly, in SADX the DLL the mod loader replaces is loaded before the main window is created, but in SA2 the window is already visible by the time the mod loader can do anything, so it wouldn't work in quite the same way.

11. Nomzr

Nomzr

I was curious if it was at all possible to have chaos drives auto-collect or become attracted to the player. Now, I'm not a programmer but I was wondering if the properties of the rings that were active when the magnetic shield was obtained could be shared or programmed onto the chaos drive at all times? Is this naive?

If this could be a thing though *-*.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Of course it's possible, but I would have to figure out how the rings and chaos drives work first.

13. Nomzr

Nomzr

O-O

The king himself!

Would it be too much trouble for me to ask you of this?

EDIT: Oh, is it at all possible to not have the SA2 window pause on minimize or loss of focus? It's somewhat bothersome. Steam version btw.

14. TrackerTD

TrackerTD

Dragon Land is Screaming! Member
    Hey folks. I'm not often on here but I've been dicking about with the Sonic games on Steam lately, and thought I'd ask about an issue I'm having.

I've put together a basic No - HUD mod for SA2, that worked well enough. I then decided to see if I could replace the textures in City Escape with the signage from the Dreamcast version. It was easy enough to do, and after I made it mod-loader friendly it worked in-game as seen here;

[​IMG]

All fine and dandy, and I did the same with the blimps in Radical Highway. However, for some reason upon beating or exiting a stage these texture edits affect, such as City Escape or Radical Highway, the game straight up crashes and I haven't the foggiest why.

TL;DR - I put the Dreamcast signage into the PC port, it crashes the game, I'm confused. I'll keep playing with the files in the .paks to see if I messed something up, but I'm seriously at a loss. The only thing I could muster was perhaps the filesize being much bigger than the original .pak, but that wouldn't be consistent with the No-HUD mod I made so... yeah. I'd imagine this kind of stuff has already been answered, but I didn't turn up anything through searching.

Using the SA2 Modloader log, the final line before the crash is:

Code (Text):
    1. Warning! Can not Read file: gd_PC/stg13_light_gc.bin
    2. SOC_AsynDoWithCurrentFrame
    3. War
    But I have no idea what to do with that information.

EDIT: Well, it WAS the filesize. I shouldn't be surprised... and honestly I'm not. Disregard folks.

15. eXtaticus

eXtaticus

Would anyone here know how to lower the volume of the sound effects and voices? It's just that they totally overpower the music in stages, and there doesn't appear to be a way to fix this. I'd like to restore the balance back to what it was in the Dreamcast and GameCube versions of the game, if it's possible.

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I have an idea on what might cause that. I have one of those 5.1 Speaker sets and notice some bugs in the regards to that. A game with stereo mixing shouldn't have stuff playing out of the surround and center speakers. I notice it with steam version of Sonic Adventure DX as well. Considering the surround speakers will often act like the counterpart in the front and will often play the same exact thing, the center playing mono content like voices. Music often just plays out of only the front speakers. It can create a situation on even a 2.0/2.1/headphone system where stuff becomes overpowering because it's no longer spread out and simply adds together. Assuming this is still unfixed.

All the games using SEGA PC Reloaded had over powering sound effects until I fixed something with LAV decoder that caused the system to mix stereo instead of surround. Setting the same setting on every system fixed this on every system regardless if it had surround capabilities or not.

17. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
  18. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Sorry for the bump (I'm not quite sure where the best place was to ask this), but I need some help. I'm looking for where in the PC release that the actual background files are located in the game data. You know, when you change your character in the settings and the background changes along with that respective character's voice, those pictures. Is it possible to view these out of the game data, and if so, is it possible to convert them to bitmaps or JPEGs to be used for say, desktop backgrounds?

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    resource\gd_PC\BG_*_e.prs, Puyo Tools can decompress the prs files into gvm files, which it can then extract the textures from. You will then have to piece together the full image from the textures.

Don't apologize for bumping this topic, it's here for this purpose.

20. Dalin

Dalin

Alternate Sa2 kart replica
    Hey there,
    I considered posting this in the basic Q&A thread but I think it fits better here. I couldn't find much about Sa2 in the SCHG either.

How would I go about finding a certain model if I don't know the name or used extension? I'm looking to view the alternate kart of Shadow, the one you unlock after completing all his missions. The texture they used hides the details of the model. If it matters, I'm viewing the files of the pc version of the game that got released on steam.

I downloaded SATools, It'd be cool if someone could tell me what tool to mess with specifically, or even the file name would help out a lot. Ideally, something "check every file in map X with extension Y and run it through tool Z" would give me enough to find what I'm looking for.

This is less important, but to make viewing the model easier, is there any way to convert or export the model to .obj?

Thanks in advance.