don't click here

Sonic Runners announced (Sonic Team/Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    If you stay constant, or increase your rank in the higher tiers (as in moving up in the tiers) in the rankings, you can accumulate Red Rings rather quickly.

Other than that, Gene may be purchasing 'em.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    The other day, I scored 7 red rings in a single run with the Egg Cruiser or whatever that big ship is called.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oRZ7U06ymA

Heck, I managed to get 6 in this run.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >giving this game money

I've not been spending them at all and just tearing through events and using the RC Cruiser. I'd never give this game any money in the state its in.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    My division probably hates me. I'm consistently in 1st place and am currently above the next person by at least 9 million points (I was just a smidge under 16 mil and then I died).

5. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    I downloaded Sonic Runners a while ago, and I have to say that I really like this game! I've never played Sonic Colors, but I absolutely love the wisp powers, especially the Laser power. the only problem I have with this, and many endless runner games, is that it repeats the same level layouts after you play it enough, but otherwise, I think this game is awesome :)

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm in an S*** division. Somehow I'm in first place with a measly 12 million points, when in the past I've known other S*** divisions to require at least 18 million simply to prevent yourself from getting relegated. It's probably because I stopped playing the game for a while, so I was put into the weakest of all the versions of S***. Not complaining - I'll enjoy the prizes.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm in E* due to resetting the game, since I used to be S** I know the game more, unfair advantage I suppose but what will you do.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    My A* is fairly competitive. Had to drop a 17 million point run to just stay in top 10 barely.

Oddly, the game runs better when Im not charging my tablet, but only marginally. I still get cheap deaths by the physics wonking out and deciding I should tunnel through an enemy's hit box and into a pit.

At least I'm back to amassing red rings.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Urgh, I take that back.

I ended up with 2 spins worth of Red Rings. What do I get? First spin gets my Magic Lamp up to Lv.1. Second spin gets me Yacker, who's already Lv.5 so I get given 3 Special Eggs which is enough to spin the Special Roulette. And what do I get this time? Magic fucking Lamp Lv.2. Fuck this.

You know, there are so many ways that the roulette could be improved even without allowing players to outright buy the characters they want (which should definitely be a thing, by the way). Like how about making the Special Roulette worth more? Instead of getting just one Rare Egg, you get two or three. It's so irritating to spend all that time saving up for a good spin and ending up with common shit anyway. And I've said it before- the Rare eggs are more common than the Normal ones now. And new companions such as the Desert Chao and Nightopian are being given the Rare status instead of Normal, even though their abilities are actually more in line with the original Normal companions than the Rare ones.

This game is so fun and addictive at times. There's so much constantly holding it back though, constantly reminding you that it's a freemium mobile game designed to wring you out of every penny. I just downloaded Picomy and SEGA's new game 'Heroki' the other day. That's mobile gaming done right.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I got Shadow twice in a row, and not only did I get 3 Special Eggs on the second Shadow, but I got 50 Red Star Rings and some denomination of Rings. Maybe this is only for landing on characters you already have, not buddies? In which case, Sonic Team needs to make this for Buddies too.

11. MartiusR

MartiusR

What an irony, when I've finally managed to have some android device, the game became officially available (yes, it was a couple of weeks ago :P). So, if there were any benefits from launching the game from apk file before its official release, I couldn't use it anymore.

I've started to play in two "free" Sonic games - Sonic Dash and Sonic Runners. I've got to be honest, first one is overall more pleasant than Sonic Runners.

It's good that I can play without spending any money, micropayments are indeed optional, and that's good. But this constant connecting with network + downloading some unidentified "data" (and problems with connection - which is quite annoying, to tap 6 or 7 times to reconnect, I don't have such issues in any other android game I've played so far). Yes, there is this limit of three attempts on every level (after which you'll need to wait a bit to play one more time), but it's mostly fair enough (depending if it's level with boss sequence, further it can be an issue).

I've got some problems with playing any other character than speed (ok, other than Sonic, because I don't have anyone else than three standard - Sonic, Knuckles and Tails). Playing without possibility to be a bit higher than with one standard jump (Knuckles) or rapid ascending (Tails) is so uncomfortable...

I'm used to being better and better after time (no matter how complicated game I'm playing), and it's generally working... despite Sonic Runners. Seriously, I've stopped on about 1,9 million points (I can't get any higher, usually I have about 1 to 1,7 million points!) despite playing in this game for about three or four (maybe even five?) weeks. I don't have since about two weeks any feel of progress. How ironically, that in Sonic Dash, which in fact is some "infinite" runner, without any boundries (in Runners there are at least these levels and well, "plot"), I have this feeling, that I'm doing better. And I would like to have some additional characters, but only one capable to buy have point penalities. Since it's only way to obtain some new characters (well, at least those more interesting)... It's so annoying.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (overall)... But on the other hand - how it's possible with game, which have such simple rules? I think that I'll pass this one and stick to the Sonic Dash (especially since it has received some nice update, with which obtaining red stars is surprisingly a bit faster than previously).

12. An event that will take place on Tropical Coast is coming on the 20th.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    New event, this time in Tropical Coast.

Nevermind that, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mnheqMSe7A

Well done, Ohtani. Well done.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ohtai's music is starting to get get very repetitive and similar sounding, like when we had to much of Senoue in the past. It's a really good tune here, but is so incredibly similar to the Windy Hill Spring track that it's actually like I've heard it before. Unleashed and Colours hugely benefitted from their range of artists alongside Ohtani, and Lost World suffered for its lack thereof. Runners is just another mobile game so it's easier to let it slide. But still... I'm getting a bit bored. Here's hoping the full team is back in force (with a healthy dose of Fumie Kumatani) next year.

Oh and in case you're wondering, yes this event is identical to all the others so far.

15. Felik

Felik

Well to be fair Runners' soundtrack is composed in a way that'd make the music not get old due to constant exposure to it at a cost of it being kinda generic.
    But I agree that it being composed by one person certainly doesn't help.

I'm a bit worried though because Ohtani is one of the finest Sonic composers SEGA has right now and him putting so much effort into a mobile game music (seriously, unlike Sonic 4, this soundtrack has some AAA production value) may mean that he either doesn't work on the anniversary game soundtrack (presuming SEGA has something great for us next year) or doesn't work on it as much as I wish he would.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I do wonder what the rest of SST is up to. Jun seems more busy with Crush 40 work, and I imagine a good chunk of the others are either working on different projects or are working on PSO2.

17. PKstarship

PKstarship

Super-Sonic Racer
    I was wondering, it there some special timing you can use to get what you want on the roulette? I ask this because I managed to get Blaze by using a well-timed tap while the wheel was spinning, but couldn't manage to do it next time I used the roulette...

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yesssss I got the RC Cruiser back. Thank God.

19. MartiusR

MartiusR

I'm closer and closer to obtan 250 red stars, and I'm wondering, what would be best way to spend them? I was quite close previously to obtain this amount, but unfortunately I've decided to spend them in roullette, and of course didn't have any hidden character. I was wondering about buying one of those able for normal buying - will Silver be a good choice? I've noticed in description that gameplay is slower but with less points - I was thinking if it won't be good idea to give it a try, since I can't obtain more than 2 mln points in any run, and speed character seems to be most comfortable for me.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Silver might not be great for normal runs, however he seems to be top choice for the special events that require you to collect shit. When points don't matter the slower gameplay might allow you to plan more.