don't click here

PNGtoPDF?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hivebrain, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Is there a tool that'll convert a bunch of PNG (or any lossless) images to PDF, in the same way that this tool does JPGs:

http://retrocdn.net/File:JPEGtoPDF.7z

While JPEGtoPDF will work with PNGs, it actually converts them to JPG first, so it's not lossless. The best I've come up with is to convert them to lossless JPEG2000 files and then use JPGtoPDF, but that triples the total file size.

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I've had some success with saving individual images as pdfs in gimp, and then using pdf shuffler to combine them, but I usually end up with large file sizes too. Not sure how it would go with pngs

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    What's this for - there might be a better way.

EDIT: Maybe you can get some love out of this?

From what I understand, PNG isn't strictly supported by the PDF standard, while JPEG (and JPEG 2000) is. So it'll be converted into something not-PNG along the way, probably more akin to an old fashioned BMP, which would explain the huge file sizes.

It would be nice if it were a bunch of lovely compressed PNGs in a PDF wrapper but I don't think it works like that. But I've spent a whole two minutes of research on the subject so I might be wrong.

4. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It's for the Sonic Jam digital manuals.

I found a program: image2pdf, which does save PNGs losslessly, but it'll only do it on A4 pages and there's no convenient interface or drag-and-drop function.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Do we even need to keep the Sonic Jam rips on Sonic Retro - they effectively just make up a lower resolution version of the manual you just turned into a PDF.

I guess they're cleaner and from an official source, but they don't really need "preserving" per se - they'll always be in rips of Sonic Jam. They would have made more sense in the early days of Retro when scanning wasn't as big of a deal.

Nobody seems to have bothered with JP Sonic 2, anyway. And I'm sure there were EU scans in there too - it's been a while.

7. Tanks

Tanks

NitroPDF does it last I checked, but I don't think its freeware...

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    They're not essential, but I'd rather have them up there than not.

I prefer to avoid commercial software or anything that needs installing. Ideally I want something I can save on Retro CDN for others to use.

Probably will end up going the JPEG2000 route for now.

9. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    Maybe this is just my dislike of pdfs speaking, but is there any real advantage to putting the scans in a pdf rather than putting them in a 7zip archive for distribution?

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    For the record, I agree with Jeffery (even though I'd prefer rar over 7z). I was just trying to help but I'm not sure why scans should be in pdf format.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    WinRAR isn't free though. We use PDFs because PdfHandler lets us link to individual pages and use thumbnails of those pages. As far as I know there's no equivalent extension for zip/rar/7z (it would be nice if there was).