don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So, don't suppose it's possible to extract acb/awb files yet?

2. Paraxade

Paraxade

I looked into some object parameter stuff in Lost World. As it turns out, for some reason the executable contains a bunch of leftovers from their editor. There is code for handling various editor tasks, modifying parameters, etc. (I'm kind of wondering whether there's a full editor embedded in the game...) One of those leftovers is kind of interesting - it turns out every single object has parameter names in the executable, along with brief comments in Japanese describing what it does/how to use it. I was able to get all of them dumped after some work today, so if anyone's interested in having a look, here it is.

Original: http://pastebin.com/uhEYCXKa
    Google Translate'd: http://pastebin.com/UES49QWL

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can we use this to cut some of the bullshit out of the game one day? That'd be nice (Basically just replace every boss with a goal ring and you're off to a good start).

4. Paraxade

Paraxade

I've created a modified version of SonicGLvl that can edit Lost World stages. It can read and write .orc set files, as well as display spline previews from the .path2.bin format. Full source is available here: https://github.com/parax0/libgens-sonicglvl-lostworld

Some things are rough because this is just a temporary editing solution until Lost World support is added to the main SonicGLvl branch once the Qt5 rewrite is underway. Going to need to wait for that for more advanced editing/previewing functionality. With that in mind, this probably isn't going to be updated much (aside from maybe the templates/shader database) unless there's a major bug somewhere that I'm unaware of. Game assets are going to need to be dumped manually if you want better object previews, since we can't distribute the assets and there's currently no setup to automatically unpack them. It supports Havok 2012 files, but they still need to be converted to little endian using the hkx converter Dario linked in the first post.

There's also a couple Maxscripts included for importing/exporting path2 splines in 3DS Max.

[​IMG]

Custom .orc files and custom .path2.bin files are both tested and verified as working ingame:

http://youtu.be/ZjKL9cnhP0o

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    SonicGLvl? isn't that Sonic Generations PC's level editor? so what does it mean having lost world implemented into it if you don't mind me asking?

6. Paraxade

Paraxade

Like I said, it's just a modified version. They're both Hedgehog Engine games that use the same model formats and Dario already has an editor set up for Generations so adapting GLvl to Lost World was the obvious choice.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    But colors wouldn't be a possibility to adapt correct? seeing as that shares more similarities with the Storybook engine then the Hedgehog engine.

8. Paraxade

Paraxade

You could adapt it, it just might not fit very well because GLvl is designed for Hedgehog Engine files and Colors is not a Hedgehog Engine game.

9. Skitt64

Skitt64

You guys might have seen this put up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJoEEVIZ44

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    This is why I want this on the PC. Didn't even know you could modify WiiU games...

+ - .  

11. Skitt64

Skitt64

If it exists, it's more than likely moddable.
    I want this game on the PC too, but since it's a Nintendo exclusive it'll probably never show up on PC. I don't own a Wii U, so I'll probably end up just waiting for an emulator to do any modding on this game.

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Sega should honestly just release all their games on PC, even if they just do a quick, badly optimized port. Though we know for a fact that Lost World was originally being developed for PC, so it would probably be pretty easy to do.

13. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Well nearly all games are developed on PCs these days, and are then ported to console, because it's far more convenient. Lost World is never coming to PC because it was made with Nintendo's help and money during an exclusivity deal. However, the PC market is far more lucrative than it used to be, and publishers are more likely to port to PC these days. SEGA in general are pushing more and more for PC, along with mobile, and with Geberations coming to PC, I think it's a safe bet that the next multi platform game will come to PC too, so I wouldn't worry on that front.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    They were originally prototyping it on a PC because that's how you write games. Unless you think that Nintendo's developers run Visual Studio on the Wii U instead of using a standard desktop computer...

EDIT: Bonus points if you think the existence of a Windows version of Pikmin that's present on the Pikmin disc is a proof that Nintendo was going to release it for Windows, instead of simply being a debugging leftover.

15. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Here's something I did.

I can see potential in modding Lost World for a different type of style compared to the Generations Modding. Makes it alot more free and open for the type of style they have set up.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I saw that the other day. Absolutely brilliant, I was expecting trolling. Just a damn shame I wouldn't get the chance to play those Lost World mods most likely (I don't understand Wii U hacking :/ )

Oh shit... Can you try porting over a Mario Galaxy level? Also, random thought. Does this game have any non wisp underwater sections? If it doesn't does Sonic have any underwater physics? Any other unused behaviors as well? I'm curious.

Also wtf. Item boxes can be placed in levels and yet they never are? Fucking hell Sega.

17. Paraxade

Paraxade

Technically he already did :P

Uhh item boxes are used a ton. Most commonly for wisps.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I mean Wisps and 10 Rings yes. I don't recall ever seeing Speed Shoes, Invincibility, Shield, or Lightning Shields though in game. They were just Briefcase items. Oddly the one thing I liked about Lost World 3DS was the use of all the elemental shields. Too bad that version of the game was just piss x 1000.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

At the end of Tropical Coast 1, on the cloud-hopping section, there's a bunch of ring and extra life boxes, along with a single Red Ring item box. It always seemed pretty strange to me. IIRC that's the only time you find an RR in a box, and there's no reason for to be so. They should have used item boxes throughout the game in a traditional way with invincibility and shields and what not.

On another note, it's frustrating how close Lost World gets to being "the right Sonic game" at times, and then gets slammed down into mediocrity by really bad decisions. It the tubular levels weren't enough of a misfire in themselves, there's the way that Sonic controls in 3D. Granted the game isn't designed for any kind of level like Whomp's Fortress, that video does a brilliant job of showing how ridiculous it is that Sonic loses all speed just by turning. But still, impressive stuff! I'd love to see how an SA1 or '06 stages plays out in Lost World. IMO Sonic Team need to take the strengths of both styles to and they'll find themselves a real winner.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is lovely. Guess Lost World really IS Sonic the Hedgehog Galaxy =P