don't click here

Shenmue 3

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Saidian, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    With the pace it's going at right now hell no

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

I really hope they won't need to make a Shenmue IV.

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Then you haven't been paying attention. Shenmue 3 will not conclude the story, it just consists of the next 3 chapters, ending with Ryo's confrontation against the 4 leaders of the Chi Yo Men. Yu Suzuki stated that too much stuff would have to be cut to conclude with Shenmue 3 in a satisfying manner. It's another risk, but if 3 ends up being successful everyone would want 4 anyway. And if that's the case, it'll give 4 a chance to do better than 3.

It was obvious a week ago that they weren't going to hit 10, let alone 8 million. For the last 3 days it was stuck at 3.7 million, until they added the new rewards today. Now it's at 4.1 million, so I think the additional rewards helped. At this point though, they're still going to need to come up with a way to interest people who have never played the series if they want any more than $6 million.

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

You didn't have to say that I wasn't paying attention. I have seen this image before:

[​IMG]

I thought that the number of planned games was primarily related to the number of discs allowed per Dreamcast game, but I suppose that--as you say--too much would have to be cut.
    Hopefully the third game will be a success and the fourth game will be made.

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    That image is wrong, I'm not sure where it came from. Yu Suzuki confirmed 11 chapters several years ago, 16 is incorrect. Also, Shenmue 2 was Chapters 3 4 and 5. It did not contain chapter 6. (Hong Kong was Chapter 3, Kowloon was 4, Guilin was 5). I was mostly referring to questions answered in the previous two weeks of the kickstarter, because the question of whether Shenmue 3 finishes the story or not came up on the reddit AMA two weeks ago and was vaguely answered then. It was re-confirmed at some point afterwards though that it won't conclude the story.

It's not really a knock against you. I suppose it doesn't help that the kickstarter hasn't gathered all of that information in one place. Perhaps someone has summarized everything somewhere, I'm not aware of it though.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

I re-checked and apparently there were originally going to be 16 chapters, but the number was reduced to 11. hm.

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I remember back in the day that Ryo's adventure would include a city/village from every major continent/sub-continent across the globe. So if that still holds we've got a fair bit to go.

8. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I just upped my pledge to the $60 physical PS4 tier, so glad that I get to have a box, plus every little helps at this point.

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I started a second kickstarter account in order to get both the PC and PS4 physical copies.

I just realised, if this is published by Sony, then it technically doesn't belong on Sega Retro :(

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's not published by them. They've done this sort of funding before with other independently developed games that are self-published. It's also not being published by SEGA anyway, but they do still own the license.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo. It's a SEGA IP so it has a page. So will Shenmue 3.

12. Vangar

Vangar

Don't do that unless you are positive on what you are doing. Try it on lots of blank CDs first and see how it goes.

I've tried that on many discs and just damaged them more.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I got my refund, ordered a different converter, and it arrived today.

IT WORKS!

So, I'm streaming Shenmue and Shenmue II at http://www.twitch.tv/digitalduck

I'll be taking it slow, showing all the scenes most people miss, and I'll keep playing until I get tired and then continue tomorrow (and so forth).

EDIT: Finished for tonight - we failed to learn a move we already knew, forgot how to use directory enquiries, obliged a cold homeless guy who wanted coffee by buying him a nice cold can of grape juice, got beaten up by a couple of schoolgirls, misunderstood the meaning of "stealth", and got lost in a warehouse. :mrgreen:

A usual day in the life of Ryo Hazuki.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    This is all I've ever wanted. I can finally die.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Finally completed both Shenmue and Shenmue II the long way after a total of 72 hours streaming.

Personal highlights for me (having seen most of what I showed on stream) were this:

[​IMG]

And this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5pAX1NJAvw[/youtube]

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    16 hours to go, Shenmue III is sitting at $5.49 million.

This'll be the last time I get to check it, but hopefully it'll reach at least six.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm really believing this is going to beat Bloodstained as the most funded video game KickStarter. It feels right. No offense to Bloodstained, but all of this has been incredibly fulfilling to watch unfold.

I think more than anything I'm just happy to see Yu back in the saddle working on something big.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I hope we get a good game out of this. He said he needed $10mil to fulfill his vision, and he's getting just over half that.

19. Felik

Felik

Eh I don't know. We have a game that realistically needs 1-2 MD to be made and a game that realistically needs 10-20 MD to be made. One is overfunded, the other one - underfunded.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Sure, sure. I'm talking solely about the KickStarter totals though.