don't click here

An open question to E-122-Psi

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Jul 16, 2015.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I know this idea has already been brought up in the past, but it never got a definite answer (afaik), and I'd like to hear some opinions about this, including obviously E-122-Psi's.

Basically, he made a ton and a half of "SOMEONE in Sonic 1" hacks, which are good and all, don't misread me, I love them, but I was wondering about the possibility to combine them all into a greater "everyone in Sonic 1" megahack, possibly with E-122-Psi sharing his source codes with a trusted Tech Member¹ for global optimisation and integration, maybe with a Character Select screen à la Sonic Triple Trouble.

Discuss, or trash on E-122-Psi's request if inappropriate.

Note 1: not me, I'm not trusted, and I barely know more ASM than "cmpi and beq"

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I would love a "Sally, Bunnie, Amy, Mighty, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Motobug, Knuckles, Tails, and Sonic in Sonic 1" hack. A one stop shop for all your character needs.

Better yet if these were combined with Sonic Classic Heroes. Have all the characters in both Sonic 1 and 2. The heroes gimmick would likely have to be removed though.

3. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I might still have the source code from Shadow in Sonic 1, since that was FeliciaVal's project and I helped with some small bits, but ultimately it'd be up to her as to whether she'd mind/like it to be contributed toward this or not.

…Not that I know how to contact FeliciaVal anymore, she sort of disappeared from Skype and dA a while back and I'm unsure when she last logged on here.

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Right, I only mentioned E-122-Psi because he made just so many of them, but if this catches on to be a collaborative project, other people's "SOMEONE in Sonic 1" hacks can be included as well.

I'd keep this separate from SCH though, because of the different scope of those projects. Just my opinion.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no totally, I only said SCH because it combines Sonic 1 and 2, which are the two games most of these "Someone in game" hacks apply to. I suppose a better base would be ColinC10's Sonic 1 and 2 which turned into Sonic Classic Heroes, but yes the Heroes and someone things should remain separate, they shouldn't be merged.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I personally love this idea, though I do hope that E-122-Psi will finish the Chaotix crew and make a Espio hack (Only other Espio based hack being South Island Adventure by Hivebrain and Sonic Classic Heroes).

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I never really tried adding new characters, I really should test it. Maybe at least try an Advance type hack with the main four in at some point.

I'm all for handing over the resources for someone else to make a project, though I warn you it's a VERY messy process for most of them. It's not just the character that has to be edited, multiple objects need to be reprogrammed to respond to their new actions. This is sorta why I've been dissuaded from making more than one character per hack.

About that, I actually have a more or less complete base for the hack cosmetically. All of Espio's sprites have been put into a hack. It's just I was stumped on how to insert his wall walk ability. I kinda gave up after SCH, it seemed redundant, the physics were more accurate for all the Chaotix in that game anyway (though I might get round to fine tuning Vector).

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Maybe mechanically better, but visually you version would be superiror as SCH had to mess with characters to make all 3 work on a single pallete line.

Another thing I had a question about was have you considered trying to minimize the visual affect the characters had on the original game? Again using SCH as an example, you can see that enemies and objects still retain their original colors for the most part.

9. Lopson

Lopson

That's a great idea! It'd certainly make things a lot more convenient. But then again, I'd rather see him spend his time with more character-swapping experiments than with something like what's being suggested here.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've learned a few palette tricks since a lot of them were last worked on. I can probably get a lot of them to at least the same level as the current version of Amy in Sonic 1, which is much better but still imperfect. Keep in mind I'm not as much of a wiz at these things as Flamewing.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    That's why I suggested that a Tech Member should participate in the process, with some advanced tricks it's probably possible to deal with multiple characters and edited objects in a good and optimised way. Your call, I can open a topic in the Tech Lounge in your behalf if you'll ever decide to take this route. I only gave you a random idea :)

12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I thought I heard in the past that Team Rose was coming to Sonic Classic Heroes in the future via E-122's hacks? I would be all over that.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Finally, Big the Cat in Sonic the Hedgehog, my dreams have come true

14. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    E-112-Psi Megahack, that sounds like a fantastic idea!

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you do do this, might I suggest not cramming everything into one game, instead offering something like "SatAM in Sonic 1" and "Chaotix in Sonic 1", or something.

Seems neater to me.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I dunno. "Everyone" in Sonic 1 kinda has its own value that you lose when you separate into smaller collections.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Truthfully, I'm starting to desire branching out and trying putting new characters in different games from the main three. There's so much potential for projects I'm sure many have yearned for at least once or twice:

* Playable Tails in 8 bit Sonic 2
    * Playable Amy in Sonic CD
    * Alternately the real Sally in place of her Sonic CD
    * Sonic taking Arle's role in Mean Bean Machine
    * Knuckles 'lock on' for Spinball or 3D Blast

Anyone know how the resources are for any other games to make character hacking possible?

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, 3D Blast and Spinball had no split disassembly last time I've check GitHub, there was a imb file or something like that, instead of an ASM file and bins everywhere.
    Some users are working on a Sonic CD disassembly, which it's awesome especially because it could enable hacks ported to Mega CD to use the Ricoh chip.
    Then, well, you are already working on Mean Beam machine, and for the lock-ons you would have to set all the code for the other game's serial codes.

19. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I'm completely down for any of these, specially since I'm also very intrigued to see a character hack being done out of the Game Gear games.

If anything, I'd love to see something for Sonic Chaos or Triple Trouble... not that I'm sure what would be the best character to add, though-- maybe Knuckles or Amy? Can't think of too many choices.

Also, I've always enjoyed the new gameplay experience within E-122-Psi's hacks, as they really give new ways to play through the classic trilogy. Although I've been wanting to say for a while that it would probably work even better if his characters were used in hacks that contained actually new levels, with gimmicks and level features actually built for said characters.

Even with all the characters that Psi made for his hacks before, using them in a hack with new level layouts and such would probably feel even more refreshing. For a sample... imagine a new mechanical level full of computers in which Sally could use Nicole to hack the systems and take her own paths through, rather than just going by the main path.

Not making demands in here. Just saying what else could be made out of Psi's characters, other than just making a giant Sonic 1 & 2 character collection.

But if you are just looking for new character hack ideas... I'm all for something that includes Big the Cat in it (Big in Sonic 1)!

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If there could be a 'SegaSonic' version of Mean Bean Machine done, I'd be game for doing the basic art of all the characters. I can't sprite, but I'd happily do the art that someone would make sprites out of.