don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That sounds familiar... oh wait.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Sorry guys I'm probably not going to do anything with AXSX for awhile. The motivation just isn't there.

3. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Don't force yourself to work on anything that you don't feel motivated to work on, and always keep in mind that we support you and this project and want both to succeed. :)

4. winterhell

winterhell

Excuse me. This is the worst thing you can say to a guy like Andrew. What support would that be?
    Nobody is 'supporting' him. There are bugs in the engine persisting since before the 2011 demo(which was also delayed because of them but nonetheless eventually released with them) that are still unresolved. Many programmers have looked at them and not a single one has been able to do anything about them.

When you have multiple problems for 5+ years that have no progress, how do you expect him to not be sick of it all?

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    He was only trying to encourage the man, and acknowledge his nigh-superhuman endeavor and perseverance in this awesome project so far. No need to jump down anyone's throat because they can't solve a programming issue. To say that 'nobody is supporting him' is a bit of hyperbole, no? Though I'm not physically involved in this project (due to both lack of time and the necessary prerequisite skills needed) the least I can do is offer words of encouragement.

6. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Andrew, it seems to me that the idiosyncrasies of Unreal Engine 3 were keeping you from doing the game in the way that you wanted. If or when you get back to this, it might be a good idea to rebuild the game in Unity or UE4; maybe code it from scratch in C++ if you have to.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Would be nice if I could move from UDK to Unreal 4 and have someone program the gameplay mechanics over again from scratch, But yeah I don't see that happening. Restarting would also be a major setback for asset management, Because all the assets would take many months to re-integrate into Unreal 4 alone. There are 1000s of materials and material instances that need to be recreated from scratch, 1000s of models needing re-importing, over 100 level layouts that would need materials re-applied. everything would need to be named 1 by 1, asset by asset. No way in hell am I going threw that again. :argh:/>

Anyways , I may come back in a few months, depending on if my 2 programmers want to continue helping out. ( Nekit and Josh)

8. It sounds to me that you work so intensely on a project that after a while you get burnt out, I do this too. Take a break, work on something else entirely and gather some inspiration!

Looking forward to when you pick this back up :)

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    More like ,,, just 0 time to work on AXSX at the moment, and near - mid future, I predict I'll return to it in a few months time.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    del

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    del

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    >Fuck1
    >Duck1

I love your programming humor :v:

But yeah awesome work on the shaders you guys.

13. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

This is fucking incredible.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    omg XD

Cool updates, with the reasoning behind the updates being hilarious.

15. This is getting better and better... Nice lights and shading!

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Wonderful to see another update on this! Glad lighting now works properly with your fisheye effect. = ) Coloured lighting in particular is great to see - it always reminds me of mid-'90s video games, so this should help give AXSX that authentic mid-'90s feel. I can see it being very useful for creating the correct atmosphere in certain situations, especially in the Red Sands cave-type areas you've shown off previously, or in any underwater areas.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    yeah these will be useful in a variety of situations!

18. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Nice to see an update.

(edit)just messaged you about the board :-)

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys quick update ! More blocks have been made! Each one has 2 UV map sets, 1 for the shaders that we see in the game( textures ect) and the second for futureproofing the blocks for allowing lightmap bakes for lets say a Modern HD Sonic game.
    AXSX level building blocks sits at 21605 modular pieces, each unique, and all set up in simple categories for easy searching.

The plan for these is for a level designer to be able to build levels in the game engine freely and hopefully without needing to stop building levels to model out a specialty block for an odd situation.
    We will be able to build level chunk groups like loops or slopes out of these blocks in the same fashion used by classic Genesis games to build the the 128x128 or 256 x 256 level chunks out of 8 x 8 pixel tiles.

Anyhow after years working on blocks I'm happy to say,, I think we don't need anymore !
    Now its time for some level building fun !

We got all kinds of blocks, Cube blocks, slope blocks, Pyramid sloped corner blocks, inversed pyramid corner sloped blocks, L blocks, inverted L Blocks, Flat plane blocks (2 sided, 1 sided, sloped and flat cubed) loop blocks and more blocks ! OMG my creative juices are flowing!

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Excellent news. Looks like tedious doesn't begin to describe this kind of work.