don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Yoshimaster96

Yoshimaster96

Super Monkey Ball hacking!
    I'd like to share something I've been working on for a long time: Super Monkey Ball!
    First attempt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vertex shading:
    [​IMG]
    Custom texture:
    [​IMG]
    SMB2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Placing objects:
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh that's awesome! Are you making custom maps or is this hacking? Either way I love learning more about the original Monkey Ball games.

3. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    So I've been doodling in mspaint at work...

Clearly WIP, you have been warned.

4. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

resident lowercaser Member
    the void between universes.
    not really any specific hack...too many to list.
  5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    [​IMG]
    Just something simple I'm working on.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    So... here's one of a few new backgrounds for Sonic 1 REV C... this one is Bridge Zone. Feedback?
    [​IMG]

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I like it, but I wonder if the clouds should have a bit more shading somehow; everything else is more detailed, but it does work as is though (the slight, delicate shading on the lower edges of the clouds looks good). Also, there is a really sharp, straight line division between the grass and the water. Maybe there's a way add some variety, to break that up a bit?

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Mind if I help a bit with the colors
    [​IMG]

9. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    I thought it would be a good idea to show what I have done so far on my hack.
    Here's a collection of screenshots from the current build of my hack titled "Harinezumi DX", previously known as "BakaSonic".
    [​IMG]
    Moonlight Stronghold is in the middle of recreation so this, Mystical Citadel, is the only level that has been extensively worked on.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That title card font is practically unreadable to me.

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Yeah, this. It took me a bit to make it out completely but it's rather hard to see. Otherwise looking good though!

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Don't listen to these plebs and preserve artistic integrity. It's fine. Just get rid of the gratuitous Engurishu and it's fine.

13. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    If you never had said what the title card is meant to say, I'd never have guessed. That is nearly illegible.

...Also agreeing with getting rid of the gratuitous Engurishu. I know there's giving it your own flair, but...

At least the level looks nice!!

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aja62gtsLdI

This is kind of cool. While running around youtube I happened to come across this and another video made by this guy. At first I thought he was hacking the original game or something (the other video is a test of Kingdom Valley so it's not entirely off base to think that), but it actually appears to be a rather ambitious remake of Sonic 06. I noticed something was off when it didn't seem to play like complete garbage.

This I'm curious about. While I'll at least applaud Briannuu for his attempt at 06 Generations, that's putting a square peg through a round hole. This however allows for the original game's designs with the engine built around it, fixing some of the glaring issues in the process.

EDIT: Apparently this was originally a project in BlitzSonic that was moved to Unity around 1/1/2015. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

I propose this be done for every 3D Sonic game ever made. Take the original and shoehorn it into Unity in an attempt to take out all the bugs and bullshit present thanks to Sonic Team's crack team of coders.

15. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I get the feeling that was brought up in another topic fairly recently but I can't for the life of me remember where. Neat either way, will be interesting to see how it goes.

16. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

resident lowercaser Member
    the void between universes.
    not really any specific hack...too many to list.
    Would Sonic Adventure (the first one) be the one exception to this? Or does this mass amount of bugs date back even to the first 3D games made with Sonic? :V
    Generally, though, yes I agree with this. Honestly, I just want Secret Rings remade to actually be a bearable game.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    See, I don't get this. Barring a couple of extreme examples (I'll just say 2006 and 2014 and leave it there), bugs in Sonic games have generally been reducing as time goes on, not increasing.

If you were to count the number of bugs in Unleashed, Colours, Generations, or Lost World, you'd probably struggle to get into double figures.

If you were to do the same in Adventure, it's non-trivial but easily doable.

If you were to do so for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you'd be there for hours.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, but it's bugs and bullshit. See even without the bugs there are things that could be tweaked here and there to make them more fun. Sonic Adventure minus Big and E-102 with more Sonic like gameplay for the other 3, Heroes with shorter, more tolerable levels. Of course in these games if the code was more easily editable then a remake wouldn't be necessary as, yes it would be easy to remove some of those bugs. This project seems to be a more literal remake as a what could have been sorta thing, but my ideal would be more along the lines of reimagining the 3D Sonics rather than flat out remakes.

Come to think of it Lost World would be a lot more fun if the bosses were just flat out removed...
    Ooohh no that would be part of the bundle. Besides who wouldn't want to see a revamped SA1 that's not SADX?

19. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    It'd be a shame to lose Gamma and his story, but if that leaves more room for the remaining 4 characters to have a more polished experience, I reckon it's a noble sacrifice. I imagine that a lot of his story elements could be merged with Amy to give her gameplay more content; Maybe get rid of ZERO entirely and just have Gamma kidnap her for the bird.

In any case, I could totally dig a remake of SA1/DX since it's definitely aged the worst out of the 3D Sonics, which is a shame since it's my favorite out of that era. Retain the Dreamcast version's character designs while upgrading all the models, textures and animations in Unity, make every stage playable as every character, and you'd have something pretty magical.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    A lot of bugs in Sonic Adventure you have to go out of your way to encounter, but they ironically add to the fun of the game.

For Secret Rings, all I ask for is a way to play the game with a controller/gamepad.