don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Ali

Ali

Someone to rip it for me, if it hasn't already been uploaded anywhere. I'd rip it myself, but I don't have Sonic Adventure DX installed at the moment.

2. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I can install SADX and rip models; after some corrections I could get him finished (3dripper gives me some twisted things). What specific model do you need? A basic one in the eggmobile, standing?

3. Ali

Ali

Well, if you could rip a separate model of him in the Egg Mobile, that would be great (it would save me having to rip it myself sometime in the future). I do need a one of him in full form, though.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    SCHG:Sonic Adventure DX: PC/Model Locations has locations of several models for Eggman in and out of his mechs.

Another question worth asking is what format you need Ali, SAMDL can rip to OBJ/MTL or COLLADA (DAE).

5. Ali

Ali

Well, I don't think I'll be needing any others, so I'll just have his regular Egg Mobile.

.OBJ, preferably. Also, I think you ripped the E-100 robots for me not too long ago. Thanks for that!

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Quick question, in Sonic 2 on the Level Select, when you change between the levels, the icon image will occasionally show the level icon with the previous levels palette. Is there a way to fix that, or has anyone attempted to fix this issue? Here is a screenshot of the error:

[​IMG]

This is moving up from Sky Chase to Metropolis.

7. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I tried once, a long time ago. At the time, it seemed unfixable.

In LevelSelect_DrawIcon, the plane mappings are updated, and then the palette is. Problem is, updating the plane doesn't work like updating a sprite, where the change only appears on the screen towards the end of the frame, rather, it updates immediately, before the palette update, which, itself, takes affect during V-Int.

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    JcFerggy, are you saying that sometimes the palette doesn't update at all? As in, you went from SCZ to MTZ3, and the palette is wrong; for only 1 frame, or is it staying like that?

If it's just the 1 frame, see Clownacy's explanaition above. If the palette is staying wrong until you change selection again, then I have never ever seen that happen before!

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Nonono, it is just for the one frame. We're just in the process of porting it over to Sonic 1, and I was just curious if there was a simple fix for it.

10. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    There is a fix, yes: you need to change LevelSelect_DrawIcon to either:
    • transfer the icon by queuing it as 3 DMAs of 8 bytes each instead of transferring it directly through PlaneMapToVRAM;
    • or send the palette to CRAM right away, just before the rts.
    In the second option, you will still need to update the palette; in the first one, each group of 8 bytes is offset by $80 bytes from the start of the previous group in VRAM destination address.

The first cchoice is uglier, but it is more guaranteed.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Wouldn't updating CRAM mid-frame cause those VDP dots to appear onscreen?

12. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    It will, yes, unless you push the updates offscreen like S3&K does for Angel Island's waterline. It is one of the reasons I prefer the first option.

13. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Okay, this is the farest I can get. Most of the textures can not be opened at least with paint.net, so you may have to use your imagination. I also let there the 3dmax file because since ripper gives me all geometries like if they were in 30/30 isometric view, I have to use a free form deformer box to restore it. Also it may need some scaling, but that's up to you. Sorry for not being more useful.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/wa44lna18nqci1v/3DReaperDX.rar

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you'd rather have rips from SAMDL, here you go.

15. Spiritix

Spiritix

Hello,
    I've been looking around the site for awhile, but I finally decided I need more direct help. I'm wanting to get into Sonic Adventure 2 (as well as The Trial) and I haven't figured out how. The site has told me about split disassembly, which is supposed to give me the individual files of everything in the game, and then SA tools to look at them. I haven't figured out how to use the split.exe file, however. It gives me a command window, but I don't know what to put in. The readme was no help for me. I feel like I'm missing something...
    I'm just wanting to get into the game, that's it. I don't want to create a hack, I don't want to build it back up after getting in. I'm interested in the unused content the game contains. I haven't seen anything on The Trial, so I'd like to look into it myself and see what I can find, but I'm using the full Sonic Adventure 2 as a starting point.
    I'd appreciate any help with this! :)/>

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    split.exe uses INI files to list the address, type and output filename for data within each game file; the SA2 folder in SA Tools should have INI files and batch scripts to use them, but there's only one there, because as usual, our main focus is on the PC version. There's some other data on the SCHG, but you'd have to write the INI files yourself.

17. Spiritix

Spiritix

Forgive me, but I don't really understand most of what you said. Are you saying that in order to do what I want to do, I need to write my own .ini files?

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you're trying to find data that isn't documented anywhere, split.exe won't help you. You'd have to either dig around with a hex editor or IDA Pro, neither of which is a particularly simple task.

Viewing character models is much easier though, just drop the *MDL.PRS files on splitMDL.exe and it'll make a folder full of *.sa2mdl files you can view in SAMDL (textures are in *TEX.PRS).

19. Spiritix

Spiritix

That's the problem I'm having... I don't have any of those kinds of files (.prs, .mdl) and I wanted to get them... I guess there was a lot more to it than I thought...

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well yeah, you have to get the files from the disc first. If you have a .cdi rip, I believe any archive handling program or ISO handling program should be able to get the files out (or you could mount the image in a virtual drive and copy files from there); if you have a real disc or .gdi rip, you'll have to look that up elsewhere, because I don't know how.