don't click here

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS, developed by Sanzaru)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    I'm not looking forward to this at all. Sonic Boom on the Wii U wasn't even remotely close to being an enjoyable Sonic game for me. No doubts about it, this 3ds version will be a joke too.

2. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    The fire and ice theme seems like the most generic and gimmicky thing they could have pulled. It simply looks like they took the old abilities from the first 3DS game and split them in two for each element. It's the same sort of smashing your head into the blocks via a dash attack, only this time you need to select the fire power first since the blocks are now arbitrarily ice.

3. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Sometimes I shouldn't read the Youtube comments, because then I see this stuff and it immediately makes me want to create these type of things:

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, not really looking forward to this game. I know they're saying it's "improved" upon the original, but I've never been known to trust Sega, especially on their QA. The only thing that would even make me check out this game would probably a Japanese voice option (which is literally the one thing I ask for in every Sonic game to have), simply because I want to hear who will be doing the new Eggman. On that note, really hope they don't decide to use his son, Akio Ohtsuka. I have nothing against the guy, but he doesn't really have the same range as his father.

4. Ha yeah, I often wonder which fans Sega listens to when they make gameplay decisions.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I don't think they listen to anybody outside Sega. The entire existence of Boom is proof of that, and it's only the most recent example concerning this series.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is a sequel to Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal on the 3DS. Built by the same people for the same system.

This is not a sequel to Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric on the Wii U. Aside from being based on the same cartoon, they're completely unrelated.

From what I gather, Shattered Crystal was more "meh nobody cares" than "this is broken and horrible". But I don't gather much because nobody talked about the 3DS game.

Its existence is predicated on the cartoon surviving, not the other way around. Despite having Sonic in it, this was never a franchise based on a video game - it was always a franchise based on a TV show.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Shattered Crystal was more "this is horrible, but there's something even more horrible demanding our attention right now". It definitely was the better of the two games, but not by much at all. F&I exists purely as a product or piece of merchandise for the show because now that it's established and relatively popular it will hopefully sell more. After this game fails to set the world on fire even though it's apparently "much improved" people will just stop caring and SEGA will shit out a new cash in every year.

If you're optimistic, you'll hope that this means that SEGA Sonic games will be less frequent and better as a result.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Kinda, yeah. It was bad, but a different kind of bad than Rise of Lyric was. RoL is a badly designed game, but you can see that the developers at least somewhat tried. While with Shattered Crystal it feels like the developers designed three stages, then didn't want to bother coming up with any more and just repeated the same obstacles and mechanics through different environments and layouts.

That being said, Sanzaru can make good games. Sly 4 is the second best game in the series below the original (I think that Sly 2 and 3 are terrible, fight me), and unlike Shattered Crystal it has plenty of variety. So while I'm not going to expect anything good, I'll keep an open mind about what Fire & Ice will be like.

9. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh my god, thanks for posting that - I was just about to come in here and say basically the same thing!

I know Sonic Boom is a sub-franchise or whatever you want to call it, but it still reeks of that old "hey, let's reinvent the wheel - again!" thing that SEGA seem to love doing so much. Instead of trying to salvage the Adventure style of gameplay they threw it out in favour of the boost style - and instead of further refining and improving that one, which showed some serious potential, they threw it out for Lost World. And now Boom is something else yet again. To coin a phrase: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That never did the likes of Mario and Pokemon any harm, to name just two examples. Work on things and improve them and add to them, obviously, but don't throw them out altogether to the point that the game barely resembles the originals any more. Sonic is in severe danger of losing its identity as a brand for this very reason; sometimes I genuinely get the impression that SEGA really don't know what they want to do with the franchise any more, other than absolutely milk it dry with little-to-no regard for quality.

Maybe I'm just being really fucking cynical, but that's what being a Sonic fan does to you after almost 25 years =P There's been so many massive ups and downs with this franchise that it's not even funny any more.

I also just wanna say that the fact that the Boom games are aimed at young kids makes me feel so sad. When I first discovered the Sonic games as a young kid, there was only one of them in existence and it was amazing. I'm sure it's the same for most of us here; we were there at the very beginning of the franchise and remember all the Mega Drive games being released and playing them to death throughout our childhoods. Y'know, when Sonic was aimed at everyone and the franchise was on top of the world. If kids nowadays are being introduced via the Boom games then I'm sure that'd be enough to put them off Sonic altogether - I know I would've felt that way when I was younger. Kids aren't stupid and they won't play, or enjoy, crap games.

Hopefully this one will be much better than the original though (it needs to be) - and if it isn't, then for fuck's sake don't make a third one, please =P

10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I hate to say it, but at this point, I hope SEGA goes out of business and someone competent buys the Sonic IP. No good can come from F&I.

11. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    At least their social media presence is right on the money, as usual.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/608354712149237760

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/608718532529037312

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Whoa, an official acknowledgement of Sonichu? Look what this game hath wrought and despair.

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    You know, I've probably said this 1000 times and yet every time I do you can hear crickets chirping. The genesis era Sonic had AMAZING style which should never have been thrown out. I can't really think of any defining aesthetic which is characteristically "Sonic" today. Sega needs to bring back "the look" of a Sonic game (admittedly Lost World had it's moments). As stated, this is a crucial aspect to Mario's popularity. I RARELY see anyone around here acknowledge this, I'm honestly am not even sure in a general sense if people even think that is a relevant issue?

14. I wouldn't be surprised though if Boom ROL was a direct response to the fans asking for another adventure style game.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You know Rubyeclipse is back at Sega right? Expect more shenanigans.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    [​IMG]

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love how for the most part, everything except the games is just pure gold for Sonic.

Just, ya know, the games suck. Which is ironic considering that's the foundation of the series. It's like they built a mansion on twigs.

18. This is just terrible. They should abandon the Boom thing. The characters have terrible design, and both games are so...they're not fun. It's like playing Tetris except worse. I dunno...even if it's momentum based this just stinks like nasty cheese right now.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Man, this game looks like it's going to suck again--Oh hey! Funny people in their social media! HA HA HA.

:(

20. Nova

Nova

Ruby doing God's work.