don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Bumping this topic with some new stuff found by Shadzter at Sonic Stadium...

Beta title screen for Sonic Synergy:
    [​IMG]

Unlockables (it's not clear if Super Sonic was planned, or if he was chucked in purely for example's sake:
    [​IMG]

And beta Sonic design which is 10x better than the final one:
    [​IMG]
    Minor differences on Amy (scarf, socks) and Knuckles (shoes) too

And mirrors of the full images here and here.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Honestly, no. The red scarf somehow makes the tan arms look kinda bad on his design, and I don't have a problem with the added little quills at all.

3. I second with TimmiT on this. The tan arms really make the scarf look out of place.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The scarf is brown, but whatever. I find the added quills look okay at best in 2D, but they just look awkward once put onto a 3D model. The tan arms I can take or leave. But this overall cleaner look for Sonic is much more him. That's probably why they changed it further, cause at this stage it was just regular Sonic with sports tape and a scarf. I kinda wish they hadn't though. He's got more of a super hero look about him here.

5. Odemus

Odemus

Windy Valley Zone
    Sonic 3CD and Knuckles and Knuckles ;)
    Yes, I prefer the clean look for Sonic. Now he looks more like a blue Super Sonic.

6. I see no upturned quills or red eyes. What could you possibly be referring to? :v:

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He is So from the house of Nic, and the last Mobian from the planet Mobius. He fights for all of us.

8. I see what ya did there :v:

9. Felik

Felik

This game would look kinda good if only not for the Wii U.

10. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Hey, cut the Wii U some slack. It could've looked that good on the system, had they not chosen to shove an unsupported engine onto it with the minimal effort required to make it function.

11. Echoing this. Shoving an engine to work on hardware it wasn't intended to run on and having difficulties during the development because of a lack of people kinda makes stuff like this turn out to look like garbage :v:

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    To be fair, I have my doubts about them having enough time to make it work properly. I mean, at least as of sometime in 2013 the game was likely not being made as a Wii U exclusive, and a lot of people at Big Red Button were laid off during sometime in June or July last year I think.

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    It's certainly a possibility, but the point I was making is that it's definitely not the console's fault intrinsically.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's SEGA's fault for mismanaging, as per usual.

Putting the game on the Wii U exclusively when part-way through development using an engine that wasn't yet properly supported by it was what did the game in.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That's likely at least partially the reason why the game turned out so bad, yeah.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'd say that it seems like the main one. It'll have more of an effect on things than just graphics and performance. We've not seen any gameplay from before though (sans the speed-section gameplay in the reveal trailer, and about 4 seconds of the hub in the "behind the scenes" footage). It could have still played like crap.

17. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The recent footage makes me wonder how this game might have turned out if it wasn't forced to be a Wii U exclusive. Some of those environments actually look nice.

At this point, I'd say the music is the least of the Sonic franchise's problems right now. Though it would be nice if Naofumi Hataya got more work from SEGA.

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

Combined sales of the Wii U and 3DS versions sold about 620,000 units worldwide. I'm disappointed by these sales numbers. It should be much worse than this. Combined sales for both games should be under half a million units at best.

19. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    How many Wii-U have been sold? was it just over 9mill? Isn't that roughly 1/15 people who own a Wii-U brought Boom?

All this tells me is that Wii-U owners are so starved for content, they'll buy mostly anything.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    More a case of "SONIC" being written on the box.