don't click here

Sonic CD US - Past Soundtrack

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MisterHinotori, Apr 9, 2015.

1. MisterHinotori

MisterHinotori

It's been on my mind ever since I learned there were two OST's. I remember that due to time issues, they didn't make it into the game.
    Or were they not even created at all? Is it possible there are unfinished or unreleased edits out there?
    I also remember a user on this board reached out and spoke with Spencer Nilsen, David Young, and Mark Crew.

If it's 100% fact that they don't exist, please help me lay this rumor in my head to rest.

P.S. Christian Whitehead's 2011 Sonic CD OST re-release bothers me in just one location. Quartz Quadrant Good Future 2011 omits a melody tune at the end of the loop that was present in the original.
    Compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buYW17d-vjI
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heuwd26c47w

Did that little segment not loop well, or is there music missing they didn't have access to in the 2011 edit?
    I know some of the 2011's music remixes the Sonic Boom promo CD into it, but QQ GF wasn't in the Sonic Boom CD, amongst a few others.

Thanks for helping me answer these questions. ^^

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    To my understanding they were either just pressed for time or found it difficult to replace the past tracks due to them being baked into the game itself rather than just being audio files.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    What LordOfSquad said. The past tracks were already programmed into the game, and would be a lot more difficult to change than by just swapping audio files. As for your point about Quartz Quadrant, that segment most likely wasn't used because it fades out before it can finish.

Also, both Future versions of Quartz Quadrant are on the Sonic Boom CD as one track. I'm not sure how you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMnGTu7adU

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Pretty sure the past versions never existed because of timing (understand that Sonic CD US has two "Final" builds: the 920 build which is identical to the rest of the world, and the 1002 build, which is the one that was actually released with Spencer's and Sterlings' music.) I doubt it took 13 days to make the songs then send them to print, but the decision was made due to a difference in musical taste by Americans then. SoA figured the jpop soundtrack wouldn't have floated so well, so they looked to something a little more rock.

This ultimately comes down to whatever source material is available to use. With the U.S. soundtrack, the purest amount of audio data we can play around with comes from the Sonic Boom CD that has the extended cuts of several (not all) of the U.S. tracks. In that one, Quartz Quadrant Good Future and Bad Future are merged together as one track and Good Future's ending isn't anywhere there. It just flows right into Bad Future's body. That said, using some splicing from earlier in the main track, we can incorporate the drum kicks and still have it loop flawlessly.

When I did the looping project for the International soundtrack, I had the good luck of one of the prototypes having the entirety of the soundtrack without a fadeout, which makes things SO much easier when you have full assets. But sometimes there just isn't enough material to work with or in Tax's case, he may be pressed for time, so creative liberties have to be exercised.

5. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I have always wanted to see someone with more skill than myself to make proper past tracks for the US soundtrack. While the US ones are different tunes for present and futures they have similar feel and use the same instruments, mainly percussion. A proper past track should match that style.

6. Felik

Felik

Wouldn't that mean that JP soundtrack is the definitive soundtrack and US one is just a petty substitution? Considering how much better in every way the JP soundtrack is.

+ - the bait is real  

7. MisterHinotori

MisterHinotori

Ah, sorry I forgot that version faded together. I must have been thinking of Collision Chaos Good Future & Metallic Madness Good Future.
    Unless I'm wrong about that too, I don't remember having a complete version of that song.
    They appear to be MIA

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Even if they don't exists period, it puts me a ease.

You said you have version of soundtrack without the fadeouts?
    Originally I only had the minute long or so fadeouts from the Windows 95 PC port of the game where I originally heard it.
    If there are shorthand versions of the songs without fades, that would be very interesting to listen to (just in case!)

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've thought about attempting that myself a few times. Apparently it's possible to rip the instrument samples from the past tracks and I'd like to use those in an attempt to make it plausible to import back into the game proper at some point. Don't know if that's even technically feasible but that's the angle I'd take. I've never seen any full instrument rips though, just one that had the instruments for Palmtree Panic. I've lost it since however.

Fixed that for ya. I like both about equally, myself.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    More than just have them. I have them and the SNCBNK files that were going to be used to play when the song ended to when the song began again as a loop filler. The plan was ultimately scrapped. The quality on these aren't very good, either, but they're a neat thing to include.

10. MisterHinotori

MisterHinotori

Any chance I could get to listen to those? I don't care about quality, so much as wanting to know how the songs were gonna be composed originally.
    I don't mean to be a newbie pest. "laughs"

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Honestly, this has always been the case and we've all pretty much known this from the start. Laziest possible SoA change that could be made, so they did it.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's surprising that the fans haven't stepped in with past editions...

(hint hint)

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Honestly the only fitting songs from the U.S. soundtrack are Palmtree Panic and Quartz quadrant. The rest is trash and was an obvious rush job. JP erosion is the complete and real version. Thank goodness it was finally fixed as I was posses with my version of the Gems Collection.

14. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Yes, you can get the .vgz files from project2612 and listen them in any vgm player. If you don't have any VGM players, you can get ValleyBall's, VGMPlay. Once you have it, its just drag and drop the files, and ready!
    My suggestion: always get some vgm musics from some games, there are someones that are so nice that you will want to listen them just because :p (Puggsy's for example).

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The first time I played Sonic CD was through the Gems Collection, so naturally I'm rather nostalgic with the US tracks. I rate both soundtracks highly, although the Jp soundtrack is my favorite.

As for the Past soundtrack, it's impressive how they were able to create the unique feel of the music to fit the atmosphere of the past stages using the PCM audio. The past tracks for Collision Chaos, Wacky Workbench, Metallic Madness sound are so amazing.

It seems strange SEGA (US) felt the need to do an alternative soundtrack, that the US might not like the Jp music. I mean, with the Jp tracks you get very catchy upbeat music which for me only heightens the experience. I guess the decision to create a new soundtrack must have come very late and they just didn't have the time or the know-how to create a new set of past tracks using the PCM audio.

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    There was a magazine at the time (Game Players I think?) which redacted their near perfect review score for Sonic CD in a later issue when they found out that SEGA was switching out the soundtrack.

I really doubt they had to switch things up but that's typical insecure SEGA for you. Not that it's a bad thing now that we have two great soundtracks for a great game.

17. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'm willing to bet Sega of America got cold feet because of the JP soundtrack's use of samples. Hip hop artists in America were getting sued for sample use around that time.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't think it's so much about time or know-how; it's just that changing the PCM tracks would've required a (music) programmer, and that means an extra person to pay, probably doubling the cost for the substitution. Burning music to a CD, on the other hand, doesn't.

Also...

This sounds likely to me, and would be another reason not to change the Past music (and therefore not justifying the cost needed).

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    How can you not like all US Stardust Speedway music as equally as the JP one!?

Also the US Special stage music is better than the JP one.

20. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    I actually prefer the US soundtrack over the JP one...