don't click here

Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

is there any sort of data on how the levels should go? some sort of level select? how will it be implemented in pc/saturn?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Holy shit, so a fisheye lens with decent FPS was possible on Saturn? Wow!

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I don't think there is, that's a question for JollyRoger.
    I'm sure something could be implemented easily. Perhaps something new added to the .def file like an actor that is placed within the level as a goal actor, than have the next loadable level start up when toutched. (via level file location within the actor's paramiters)

4. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    Late to the party, but seriously, props to all those who were involved in getting this up. Amazing to see a piece of Sonic history brought back to life like this!

5. This is amazing!! The other releases have been great as well, but... I'm still in awe at the fact that this has been done! I never had a Saturn as a kid so I never knew its actual limitations, but for the past several years I've been under the impression that the fisheye lens effect just couldn't be done on the Saturn. The load times are bad and everything's in a very basic state, but now we have proof that it could be - and even was - achieved!

6. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

There is really no valid technical reason to believe the Saturn couldn't handle a fisheye lens effect; it is really very, very simple to code, and needs marginally more CPU cycles in the polygons perspective transform...

7. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Wow, that was certainly quick releasing a Saturn build.

I have downloaded and will be trying on my Rhea board equipped Saturn later :-)

(Rhea is the CD drive emulation board for Sega Saturn that Deunan made)

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Where'd you find that ?!

9. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I found his website through the assemblergames forum a couple of years back. I have bought a GD emu board off him for my Dreamcast and last year he released a few Rhea boards for Saturns. They are pretty amazing and both work faultlessly. (the GD rom board pretty much eliminates load times on most games)

his blog-
    My link

His orders are very limited and theres usually a waiting list.

I will let you know how it runs on the Rhea later and if the loading times are improved.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    That would be great !

11. TrackerTD

TrackerTD

Dragon Land is Screaming! Member
    Absolutely amazing work! Especially estatic to see a Saturn build out there; nothing short of incredible work.

Disc swapping with the Saturn seems rather... strenuous, to say the least; but if I do ever manage to get it running on my Saturn, I'd be glad to capture some non-offscreen footage with my capture card (unless you folks already have that sorted!).

12. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

I do not have a capture card, and I don't expect to purchase one if anybody else can capture good quality videos...

Cheers,

Jolly

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Jollyroger should be hired by SEGA to help M2 port X-Treme to the 3DS, as part of their SEGA lost 3D Classics. =P

Hey, gameplay aside, this game would look amazing on 3D.

14. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Noice. You guys keep trucking along and keep going further than I ever expected you to. "it would be nice to have" turned into "actually happened."

15. I've been trying to back port some of the later leaked levels with little luck. Has anyone else had success with this?
    [​IMG]

16. If it's requested, I'll be more than willing to do the deed of disc-swapping an ISO for the Saturn and capturing the video.

17. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

It would be great to have some good quality videos captured; the engine it's in a poor state right now though, as I am sure you can see, so I would wait until we can get it to a more reasonable shape.

It will take a lot of work to fix, so please be patient...

Jolly

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah it would be nice to get some nice clean video captures of the game running on actual Saturn hardware.

Today we've Just started looking into getting v042 levels working in 040. ( at least lets call it...... preliminary research on the .def side of things)
    Also today, I used a chart that I had put together in the past to translate between v037 and v040 slope block types. The level ported is one of the gold tile levels, which is now running on Sega Saturn Hardware.( but lacking all textures)
    It was ported to help see where we stand on features needing to be brought into 040 from v037 but optionally, Jolly may just replace the missing 037 like features with similar 042 features.
    Anyhow....In loading the Gold tile level on Saturn, its now confirmed that there are technical limitations with the state of the code vs how memory is handled, so all textures could not be loaded.
    (Gold tile runs without the same memory limitations on the PC v040 build, if you're wondering)

To further explain the memory situation, here is an edited quote from JollyRoger:
    There is an issue with the way memory is managed, so loading textures is inefficient and leads to memory fragmentation, there are no checks to see if the engine runs out of vram.
    The Sonic sprites are also all loaded in vram, which makes no sense at all.
    There is a lot to be done to make everything work properly, things will improve over time.

At this point Jolly says he is very familiar with the code. I think things will go smooth from here on out.

Edit:
    Some Gaming news related to the last 040 release!
    http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-sonic-xtreme-now-playable-on-sega-saturn.html

19. Almost got the Blue Ocean maps to operate properly on v040. Need to figure out why the side textures are rotated 90 degrees still. Is there no background texture support in v040 right now?
    [​IMG]

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    v040 does the texture map rotation the same way that 037 does it. In 037 they rotated the textures manually by hand and loaded it as an extra texture, which was very inefficient while 042(and maybe 041) used one and rotated the textures in engine via the way it handled generating UV maps for the cubes. You needn't try to port unsupported levels yet as the support to for these levels is coming in the future. ( Although I guess it is fun ! right?)