don't click here

Sonic X Licensed by Discotek Media

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    First off guys, in recent news, Discotek Media recently picked up the rights to the Sonic X series and plans to release the dub on DVD sometime in the future, as a complete series set. This is good news, as it means the series is in good hands.

The bad? Dub only for now, as they're not sure about the Japanese version. This is the important part I want to bring up.

What I'm asking you guys is to post over at Discotek's announcement post, which you can see here, and request the Japanese version of Sonic X from them. Although I understand that there is a lot of disinterest in the series from various fans, some with the actual show or the dub produced for it, but I absolutely want to see this show get a chance to be release in it's original form, here in the states. While it is available through Hulu, I do want this to have a physical release.

So please, contact Discotek through their Facebook and request this!

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Done. I hope this pulls through, we need a proper JP w/subs release of Sonic X, no Hulu streams don't count.

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

A Japanese box set would be rather neat, would bring back memories of watching tiny real player videos of the episodes un-subbed about a day after they aired in Japan. :)

4. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Oh man, I used to do the same thing. Good times.

Would love to see a Japanese release as well. If they can get the rights to use the Off Course songs that were in episodes 26 and 52, that would be especially awesome (though I doubt it'll happen).

5. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Honestly, if they could even only secure one of the songs, it would have to be Natsu no Hi from Episode 52. Without that, the scene feels really out of place and doesn't flow as nicely, as much as Hikaru Michi is a nice song. The entire sequence was animated to the beat and flow of the song, so without it, it definitely feels off.

6. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Hey guys,

I'm working on this at Discotek. Trust me, we know everyone wants the subtitled version too.

The licensor requested we just do the dub at this time. When he told me a few weeks back that this was finally happening, it was my first question as well.

I'm also working on Hiscool SeHa Girls as well.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    What would it take to have the licensor consider another set with JP/subs?

8. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Picking up the dub DVD set (or sets, I have no idea yet) when it comes out, first.

Thing is, they didn't say no outright, they just said for right now they want us to release the dub and just the dub.

It's completely different in every situation. My best guess is if the dub sells really well they'll eventually allow the subtitled version sometime later. I don't really know the details though. The licensor's marketing and legal people decide what is available and when.

I do know that if the dub set doesn't sell, the likelyhood of Discotek paying for the subtitled set will be much lower since subtitle sets don't sell as much and cost more to produce.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm not familiar with Discotek, but if possible they would have all the JP openings and endings, correct? If it were to have all inserts and stuff I would try to buy that.

Hopefully sooner or later this can happen.

10. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Since only the dub version is on the cards right now, it'll be just the dub intro. There's likely very few extras.

If and when DT does the subtitled version, I'll ask you guys about what exists for extras.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    *sigh*, okay. so long as none of it sees 4kids or whatever the hell they are called now a days's wallets I'll support that dub.

Just let us know where, when, and what kind of quality were in for. I just wish this was all coming in 1 set.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    A question.

4KIDS once had the band who did the US intro make a make a music video for the song (I think they did this for all their shows on that specific day, I also remember the bumpers having American flags in the background so I guess it was a 4th of July weekend). Any chance that can be included?

13. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Hey, I wanna thank you for responding to this topic. It's good you guys are aware of the demand, though.

I'm not going to lie, I am a little disappointed by this situation. While I realize that the dub was probably going to be a priority at first, I always figured Discotek would do a subtitled release at a later date for the series, similar to what's going on with Samurai Pizza Cat/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee and Monster Rancher/Farm. But as you said, they didn't say out right no, so I'm still hopeful you guys will be able to do it in the future.

It's frustrating in the sense that I've been waiting since 2003 for a legal uncut release of Sonic X. While I am thankful for 4Kids going out of their way to subtitled the entire series through Hulu, I still would like to own the series on DVD in Japanese. Either way, I'm conidering picking up the dub for just collector's sakes, but would definitely more inclined to pick up the subtitled version.

Hopefully TMS changes their mind on this.

14. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Was is the likelihood of a Blu-Ray release?

15. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    I would expect probably pretty low. Sonic X is not an HD show and the only way I could see them doing it is what they're doing with Samurai Pizza Cats: SD encode of the entire series on 1 (or probably in Sonic X's case, 2 discs, due to being 78 versus 52).

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Gods, why the fuck would you release Sonic X with only the dub? The dub was atrocious.

Reminds me I never completed my JP DVD set though. Wonder how impossible those are to find now...

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Question, are you guys going to fix the levels between the voices and background music for these releases? I remember that at times, the music was really blasting and drowned out the voice acting.

Background music should be in the background, not blasting on par with the voices.

18. Dub-only? I'd rather not let the scars of 4Kids' prior existence linger. Furthermore, Sonic is in bad enough shape as it is after the recent slew of questionable releases. So far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have no Sonic X at all than an exclusively dub-only release.

If we're gonna throw this on DVD thoug, we may as well go the extra mile and include this as an extra as well.

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I hope this means that the UK will finally have more than just the first 8 episodes of Season 1 available.

As it currently stands, we've only got the first 8 episodes, separated onto 4 individual discs as Volumes, and they still go for about £3 - £5 each. I'd much prefer the Japanese version with English subtitles, but anything is better than what we currently have.

20. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    That's a mixing issue on the master end. I believe some of these issues were corrected after the initial broadcast on television, but if they still remain there, I doubt Discotek will be able to correct it. The only way this would even be possible is if the original materials still existed, which is probably unlikely at this point and time.

Discotek generally only licenses the stuff for the North American market, though I'd imagine there might exist a few titles which they may have additional rights. Still, even if they did have the UK rights, the problem is that a distributor would have to pick up the rights to the show, as Discotek does not have any infrastructure set up in UK.