don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Xilla

Xilla

It is quite a thin shirt, but handy for the hotter weather! (All 2 days we'll get of it)

I was at a con yesterday and saw at least 4 people wearing one. Also picked this from Forbidden Planet today. Comes with a nice little booklet on the history of Sonic with some classic artwork (few of which are new to me).

2. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    My brother has that shirt, they also do a S2 era classic Sonic shirt...

3. Skully

Skully

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM48UVI7WhU&feature=youtu.be[/flash]

gatta go out of bounds per second.
    (I'm sorry I have no clue on how to embed the video and I'm not going to lose my mind over it)

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    To embed, take out the "s" from https.

Having said that, this would probably be better in the Supreme Topic of Other Knowledge.

5. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]

You learn something new everyday. In Sonic Rush, Blaze does not like to be touched when she appears in level on the touch screen. In fact, this easter egg works also for Sonic, as well as in Sonic Rush Adventure where they both have different animations.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hey, that's just like my cat.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Whats up with them always using those rocks?

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I don't know, does anyone know where they come from? They look familiar...

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic X is today's featured article on Wikipedia, because why not.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

[​IMG]

I assume SEGA includes the in the assets they provide licensees because someone reckoned they looked like the GHZ background and would fill up the space where backgrounds often aren't used.

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAEQVMgSMfQ
    Does anybody know the original source of this animation? There are a few duplicate uploads of it over on youtube, but the closest one with 1 million views says they didn't make the animation.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That's.... certainly one of the strangest edits of Sonic X I've ever seen...

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I cringe every time I see Sonic characters as humans. Congrats to whoever did that cause it must have taken some serious time and effort. But ew.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Out of curiosity, I wanted to find out if anyone could help me track down an old magazine that I remember from a long time ago. If I recall correctly, it was a video game special tabloid-sized issue of Disney Adventures magazine. This would have been sometime in late 2002 because Sly Cooper, Sonic Mega Collection and Wind Waker were all being advertised. This issue had a few "interviews" with video game characters including Rayman, Link and Sonic. It stands out in particular to me because I recall in the interview portion, it mentions Sonic was born on Christmas Island, and I thought it stood out particularly because I don't recall any of the official game-related media mentioning that so late in the series life (if I'm wrong about that, please let me know). Any of this ringing a bell? I've been trying to track it down for years, but I've long since lost my copy and no digital archives seems to have it on record. Everything in it was pure fluff piece, I doubt there was anything in it we didn't already know, but I'd like to see if anyone else owns/recalls this issue.

15. RibShark

RibShark

I found some command line switches buried in the executable for the 2004 release of Sonic R (PC), however I'm not sure what some of them do. The ones I know the function of are "unlockgame" (unlocks Radiant Emerald and all characters becides Super Sonic), "ignorecd" (bypasses CD check, so much for copy-protection :P), "windowed" (makes the game run in a window, but borderless), and "path" (defines the directory of the games files). There are two that I do not know the function of: "allowdemorecord" (possible demo recording functionality?), and "allowmodeswap" (I would guess that this allows the resolution to change in game, but there is nowhere for this to happen). Anyone out there who knows what these two are for?

16. MartiusR

MartiusR

That's a bit strange, I have Sonic Heroes PC version and it doesn't require CD after installing it (I have version sold in Portugal, on 2 CD - don't know if it matters).

(Sorry RibShark, but I don't know an answer for your question)

Anyway, I've recently "studied" the releases of various Sonic games on PC and found some, let's say "inconsistency". First of all - I've noticed, that there were very little difference between release of Sonic R on Saturn on on PC, there were also some difference in release date of Saturn and PC version, but not too big. However, in case of both Sonic Adventure games this difference was quite big (especially in case of Sonic Adventure 2). And why generally Sega decided to make port of games with their mascot on PC in second half of 90' (when they still had their own "platforms"), but later was quite "restrained" in this case? I know the attitude of many Japan Developers toward PC, and Sega seems to have a bit different approach, but only in second half of 90'.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The time difference between the releases of Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut on GameCube and PC aren't that far apart. I don't have an answer for why they didn't port the Dreamcast version to PC or why they skipped SA2 entirely until 2012, but after Heroes, the next game was Shadow the Hedgehog, which I hear a lot of people weren't happy with, so perhaps Sega didn't think there was enough of a market to warrant a PC port. Then there was Sonic 06, and I don't think I need to explain why that didn't get a port. Sonic Unleashed was better received, but most people only liked half the game, so they could have thought it wasn't worth the effort. Sonic Colors, I dunno, maybe they wanted to keep it a Wii exclusive for some reason? Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom were under contract as Nintendo exclusive titles, so they couldn't make PC ports even if they wanted to (and given how people received them, they may not want to anyway).

18. MartiusR

MartiusR

Yeah, I must admit, that I was also wondering, why there were so big gap between 2004 (Sonic Heroes*) and 2011 - Sonic Generations, and in next years Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 etc... And again a big gap, because since 2012 (not counting Sega & All-Stars Racing Transformed), there is no new Sonic titles on PC.

But I'm most curious about the decision of Sega to go "into" PC in second half of 90' (because that's quite unusual in comparison to other japanese developers, especially since Sega still had then their console(s), and why after three years they've relased Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC? And why these titles, without predecessors?), "intensing" it in Saturn's era and after that slowly "withdraw". Not to mention, that during developing the Sonic XTreme PC was (near Saturn of course) one of the "main" platforms considered as the "home" of this never made game. I see there quite big inconsistency.

*Yes, I'm aware that in the meanwhile there was port of Sonic Riders (2006) and Sonic Mega Collection+.

19. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    It's just my opinion but I think the changes in the pc market were a factor in Sonic's return to PC. Steam allows for an easier digital distribution and it has many users (meaning sales can be very high), digital games don't require physical versions and so there is no manifacturing cost. Sonic Generation released on pc, but in the last 3/4 years a lot of japanese console games released or are releasing on Steam, like Valkyria Chronicles, Idea Factory games, the Namco licenced anime games, FFXIII, and so on.

20. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I've got the US version of Heroes, also on 2 discs, and it says I DO need to insert one to play the game even after a full installation. Trying various no-cd patches fails too. How peculiar.