don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

S3&K HD would certainly be nice.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya honestly I'd rather see the team tackle that to make up for what we might not get. But Sonic 2 is still good too.

3. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'm a sucker for expressive and exaggerated animations. Looks fantastic. Hopefully the badnik plays along with a quick glance and a sneer or two before detonation. :specialed:

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I hope it has a sudden look of regret before it explodes...

What about hand drawn art style is 2008? It's a legitimate art form. That's like saying all future animated movies should be CGI because it's 2015. Frankly, I think the cartoonish aspect sets it apart from the rest, and also more true to the original, or at least how my 5 year old brain interpreted it.

And no, I wasn't being serious about calling it Sonic 4. But Sonic 5 does have a certain... je ne sais quoi.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The new animations look pretty nice, but I just hope that they don't start abusing smears even for small movements. It feels a bit unnecessary for Sonic's arm when he looks at his watch, for example.

EDIT: Something odd os going on with the Grabber's frame between his open and close states... Also a smear?

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

As much as I like Sonic 3 (& Knuckles), I think Sonic 2 benefits a bit more from this sort of remake. The special stages benefit from increased visibility ahead of you, the seamless transitions are a nice addition, and who knows what else they might do with it (maybe Hidden Palace Zone?)... S3&K, on the other hand, does so many things right in the original release that an HD treatment would have less to improve upon beyond the visuals.

Would I love to see S3&K HD? I sure as hell would. But I think Sonic 2 HD is the more interesting upgrade.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It sounds nice, but fanmade main series sequels just leave a bad taste in my mouth. It forces me to get hype for something that will not satisfy said hype. And it also seems like it's in poor taste.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

Just like the official Sonic 4. :v:

Honestly, a fan game doesn't have to be called Sonic 4 to be Sonic 4 to me. I think games like Sonic XG or Sonic Time Twisted are good candidates for that already. As for Sonic 2 HD verses a Sonic 3&K HD, I have to agree that there would be less to improve upon in a Sonic 3&K HD than a Sonic 2 HD. Sonic 2 is also simpler to work with while still being interesting enough to experiment with.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I suppose that makes sense. I'd just love a beefed up version of any of the classic Sonic games honestly. While the Taxman/Stealth remakes are great don't get me wrong, I'd love the same thing but in this game's style.

Speaking of the remakes though, will you guys be using the remake layouts for Sonic 2 or the originals? Particularly for Hidden Palace (in that case if you did use the remake layout would you also use the remake boss/the remake Hidden Palace entrance via the spike pit of doom)

10. Falk

Falk

probably also a sore point with a certain someone in this thread

HEHE

11. Skully

Skully

Christ, this is beautiful. The animations are gloriously detailed, the art is polished, everything looks so visually stunning just for a simple fanmade game. Sonic Robo Blast 2 may have created it's own universe for around it's 15 year life span, but this is complete gold basing it's assets off of a classic. After playing the old demo, I have a lot of faith in this project revival. Hell, you guys could even help me remake my old game if I still had the dedication and money and sketchbook to finish it.

12. via Sonic 2 HD Facebook page:

''It's Changelog time again! As some of you may have guessed, the infamous asset we're reviewing today is the Hill Top Zone Tree, but we had a more special name for it on the team due to the sheer amount of time so many of us put into it. Check it out:''

http://sonic2hd.com/changelogs/htz2/

[​IMG]

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    For me I prefer the overall look of the tree next to the branches info.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Make sure to click the link, guys. The final tree is animated, but that doesn't show in the forum post.

Anyway I think it should be recolored purple to match Oil Ocean Zone.

15. Felik

Felik

I know this is not a feedback thread, but wobbling makes it look even more like jelly.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Now that you have mentioned it I have to agree.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Since we can't criticize the work, I guess all I can say is that I appreciate all the work you guys put into it. A lot of heart and effort went into that tree.

18. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

And apparently if you click on it you can see the animation playing at different speeds. Or at least, it worked like that when I opened the page in Chrome.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    The new tree looks great ! Keep up the good work,
    however in my own personal opinion I feel that the Alpha tree keeps the original feeling better than the new tree.
    Darken the gradient shading for the alpha tree towards its edges and remove, or soften the hard edged lines on the branches and it'd be the perfect HD upgrade rather than replacing the tree with a totally new tree.
    But yeah that's just my opinion which shouldn't count for anything. hahaha

20. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Assuming that animation is supposed to be during an earthquake, it's not too bad. If it's just supposed to be swaying in the wind, then it needs some work.