don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    The problem would be that Knuckles couldn't just be "imported" from one of the other games; he and all of his interactions with other objects would have to be rewritten for the old version of Retro Engine. I'm guessing you were confused on that point

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, I get it now, so he'd need to be made specifically for the Sonic CD game. It'd still be cool to happen, but I'd rather not see you and Taxman hassled getting him into the retro Retro engine.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So just a quick update on the recent happenings of our Sonic 3 Remastered campaign:

The petition just blasted through to over 3K signatures (hooray!).
    The editor of HighScoreReviews PMed me on NeoGAF to say that a news post will be going up before the end of the weekend.
    Russell from GamingNexus responded to an email I sent him and posted a news post on GamingNexus last night.

So glad some of my emails and PMs are finally paying off. Honestly it felt like I was emailing blindly in to the good night and very few people were responding. I had actually read that Russell in particular was a fan of the Sonic franchise so I suppose it's no wonder he responded with a news post supporting the campaign.

I'll have some more time tomorrow to continue with my promotional efforts. Just wanted to keep you guys updated for now.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Great work as usual, 360!

I know the feeling. Sometimes it feels all this effort is falling on deaf ears. Then all of a sudden an article is published and it's a great feeling!

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I Signed the sonic 3 Remastered Petition!
    http://sonic3remastered.com/

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm glad to see that this campaign still has its drive. I was just about to sign the letter until I figured I could add some kind of a selfmade postcard thingy:
    [​IMG]

S3&K managed to add a lot of depth to the series. So I've revisited it the other day on the Virtual Console and found myself once again obsessed with it. It somewhat bugs me that the most impressive classic 2D Sonic probably won't be remastered, even though the others by Taxman have been done so well.

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So here's another update on our Sonic 3 Remastered Campaign. I think it's super important to keep you all in the know:

The editor of the gaming blog NoPlatform uploaded a lengthy blog post covering our campaign here in response to a PM I sent him on NeoGAF.
    Turns out the editor of the gaming site 17bits is a hardcore Sonic fan so he happily supported us with this news post in response to another PM.
    The editor of the gaming site HighScoreReviews came through with the news post he promised last night. We're featured on their front page.
    Our very own AngelComa took the initiative to post a forum thread on Sega-16 (thanks man!) which was definitely a great idea.
    MartiusR sent me a private message saying he's going to fire emails to his contacts in the Polish games press in the middle of this week. Good luck man.

Furthermore: I PMed Jason from Kotaku asking him if we could get a definite answer on whether he's going to cover us. He showed interest and intention last week in a PM I received but then went quiet. Hopefully he'll respond with an update. I also noticed that one of the sites I've been trying VG247 is posting a lot of Sonic related articles at the moment yet still haven't covered us so I fired an email over to them just now. They receive a substantial amount of traffic so a post from them would be a major boost.

As for the petition we just reached 3.1K signatures jumping about 150 over the last twenty four hours or so. We're averaging about 100 signatures a day but that is with the petition being constantly supported by myself, Big Smile and others (such as AngelComa recently and MartiusR come the middle of the week). To put that in to perspective if we maintain that signature rate in one month from now we'll have 6K signatures and in two months 9K signatures. Those numbers aren't exact. They're just educated guesses based on the information we have now. An article from another major site like Kotaku for example could make us hit 10K much faster than that.

It's all dependent on how we progress. Big Smile mentioned that the BBC are interested in covering us so that again could increase the signature rate. All I know is that if we're to have a real chance at making an impact this campaign is going to need to be consistently and constantly supported. We've had some major successes such as in press coverage which has improved dramatically since our beginning but I still feel there's some time to go yet. We still haven't reached our objective of getting a response from Sega Networks.

Future ideas on my end include a second thread on NeoGAF to keep news of our campaign hovering over there. The second thread will be more inclusive designed with the intention of getting their members involved. So an improvement on the last thread. Outside of that I'll be firing another wave of emails today to keep the press support going since that's a major lifeline for us at the moment. I did PM some people on NeoGAF last night so hopefully they will respond throughout the course of the day.

And there's your update. I'll keep posting these because I like keeping you guys informed. If anyone has anything to add please do.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I get the feeling that if you'd make a second thread on GAF, it'd either be locked or merged with the first thread. Also I wouldn't expect the amount of signatures per day to not be the same, don't be surprised if it heavily declines or gets to a full stop at some point cause that's very possible.

9. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Hey 360, np. I thought it would be good to spotlight it at SEGA-16; hopefully it gets front page exposure but you don't know over there what they want to cover.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Great work as usual 360! I'll update the press coverage of the site with these new articles.
    Regarding NeoGaf: I think keeping the thread updated is a good idea. For example, when T SSZ news posted a second article, it added around an extra 100 signatures.
    I'm not sure how NeoGaf works with regards to second threads (e.g. if they like to have everything in on thread or separate threads for separate updates).

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    While NeoGAF does have a "new threads for new news" rule, I don't think that'd apply for this considering that there actually isn't any news that'd be new thread worthy. At least I doubt that "petition creators feel like the petition needs more attention" would be anyway.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Personally, I think events like Leila Wilson's soundtrack, the campaign appearing in IGN and Stealth's interview in SegaBits probably are newsworthy enough to warrant an update (although it's probably better to post the updates as the event happens rather than retrospectively). But as a general rule, it's only worth posting an update if it adds something of value or interest to a specific community. If a particular community isn't likely to be interested in it, then don't do it, as it'll turn the campaign from being something of interest into an annoyance.

Also, if a particular community requires a separate thread for each update, then it requires even more thought, as even some of the more newsworth updates probably aren't big enough for a new thread.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I wouldn't say that it appearing on big sites is worth making a thread about, but the Stealth interview probably is. Especially the bit about the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters not coming to consoles because of the Nintendo deal.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    so THAT is the reason for it? fuck nintendo :(

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well I'm tempted now. We've discussed it to the point where we've evolved the idea and a new thread technically would be acceptable on NeoGAF if we were to incorporate the Stealth news. Pretty sure the mods would let it fly because it reveals new information and important gaming news.

So what do you guys think? Try a new thread that incorporates the Stealth news?

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    No you shouldn't. I was trying to say that you could make a thread about that news, not a second thread about the petition that would incorporate it. I really wouldn't make a second thread advertising your petition, as that would probably just be merged with the old thread on account of it just being about the same thing. If you make a thread about the news from the interview, people might pay more attention to the Sonic 3 petition as it's related to it. But you shouldn't make a second thread about the same thing just like how you shouldn't make one on here.

I would probably also expect your thread making privileges to be taking away when it's obvious that you're just making thread to advertise.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    And Sega. Contracts are not a one way street.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Noted. Thanks for the heads up and additional clarification. Yeah I kind of want to preserve my GAF account. It took forever for it to be approved and then forever again to get thread posting privileges. I've been extremely careful with it since it was activated in the interests of keeping my account alive so I wouldn't want to make a misstep because of my over enthusiasm for this campaign. I want to see us succeed but my account getting nerfed wouldn't help anyone.

So yeah I'll be following your advice. I might post the Stealth news as you stated but the other initial idea I had is out the window now.

19. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Agreed, NeoGAF will close the thread and possibly issue a ban for duplicates. I think going slightly different like sharing the news of why 1/2 didn't come to consoles might be a better way. The podcast was intended for users to learn more about the games and why we want Sonic 3 & Knuckles via the campaign and still be a good listen. I thought the episode was pretty good and Stealth did a excellent job.

20. Falk

Falk

today I asked the LORD for a sign and Rock Band is pulling AAF's Smooth Criminal from DLC because of a lapsed license

¯\_(?)_/¯