don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. MartiusR

MartiusR

I've signed the petition and advertised it on one big forum with lots of users, however I feel, that I would like to do more! I was thinking about mailing to big polish websites about video games (like polygamia or gamezilla), I've looked this thread, and I didn't noticed, that somebody already informed about such trial, so I think that I would try.

However, I've got some question - do you have some good tips/advices, what should I write in e-mail to have more chances for success? I was thinking about mentioning, that even IGN has written article about this initiative (I think that could be a big "motivation boost"), but probably there are some basic things (despite polite character of the e-mail and lack of misspellings of course :)/>) I'm not aware, or easy-to-make mistakes, which I should avoid. I would be grateful for any tips/advices!

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks man! Sounds great. We definitely need more people being proactive to boost this campaign. If you want I can send you the email text I'm using when emailing people if that will help. I'll fire it over to you via PM. Then you'll have an email template you can use as a guide. Good idea?

3. MartiusR

MartiusR

Splendid! It would be really helpful, so if you can, send the content of your e-mail on PM :) Thanks in advance!

4. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Just fired it over via PM. Good luck with your efforts and keep us informed on how you progress!

5. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    If the guy who supposedly bought 100 Rosalina Ambiibos is anything to go by, yeah, it's very easy to get around.

Speaking of which, has anyone organized who would receive future letters, to queue and regularly mail? Or are you guys waiting until the campaign letter needs to be revised?

6. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    We're getting close to 3,000 signatures!

7. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Okay so time for that campaign update I promised you guys. I wanted to focus on press attention and my efforts this week to derive it. I've had some degree of success though to be honest I was hoping to get something major like IGN again before posting. That said I think it's wise to keep you guys informed and also keep this thread alive. So here we go:

TWBB (ex-GameSpot writer): This guy PMed me to say he finally posted an article.
    High Score Reviews: We have an article pending with these guys. The editor seemed really excited in his PM.
    Videodyssey: Another article pending here. The editor again seemed really supportive and excited in his PM.
    The Triple Option: Another article pending here. Again the editor was very positive and supportive about helping us.
    VGEvo: And finally an article pending here. This is a much larger site so I'm hoping this one will have an impact.

Jason Schreier from Kotaku is also considering covering us. I received a PM from him last night saying he's looking in to the story and thinking of posting an article on Kotaku. I hope to God he eventually posts one since this would be the biggest news story since IGN. I'll let you guys know if I receive another PM from him.

We are also covered by Android Headlines here, a French gaming site Geeks and Com here and finally Power Up Gaming covered the alternate Sonic 3 soundtrack on Soundcloud and thus posted a second story covering us linking to our site and petition.

So overall I'd say we're doing pretty well but also could be doing better. It's also worth noting that in my sent items folder I have twenty three emails that were sent out yesterday to a tonne of larger sites that I'm still waiting on. I switched from PMing members of NeoGAF to targeting the larger sites since IGN gave us a decent boost so I was hoping to repeat that success with sites that get much higher traffic than the smaller scale blogs. Again if any news comes from that I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

The final idea I had tonight is potentially to start a second thread on NeoGAF. My first thread was designed as more of a news post informing everyone about the campaign. At 14K views I'd say that thread was totally worth it but thinking about it now a thread dedicated to getting the members of NeoGAF involved might be more successful. I was thinking of calling it "Sonic 3 Remastered Campaign Phase II: Get Involved" or something like that and listing the ways in which people can get involved.

To be honest I think recruiting more team members who are active might be our best next step. This is why I responded so positively to MartiusR's post. The more people we have who are active in supporting the campaign the better. So I think the next phase might be a new thread on NeoGAF. I'll try and get something on there in a few hours.

And there's your update. As I said if anything important comes through via email such as a news story from a major site I'll keep you guys updated.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Thanks for all your continued and excellent efforts, 360. I especially hope the Kotaku one goes ahead. I've been emailing them, but have had no luck, so it's great to know you've found someone who may help. That would be a major boost to the campaign.

Thanks also MartiusR for joining in.

Regarding the letter

There's two ways of doing the co-ordinated approach:

1) Send letters in bulk in one-go
    I can get a PO Box address. Everyone can send their letters to this address, then I'll mail them out in one go to Sega.

The only drawback is that I doubt will get more than 20 letters, which won't create a good impression. With 20 letters, it's better for them to go out individually, because at least that way, Sega gets 20 little reminders.

2) Send letters on a regular basis
    Again, with the PO BOX address, everyone can send their letters. Then I'll mail them out on a regular basis.

The drawback with this, is that each sender would have to make a payment with Paypal to cover postage costs. Including a stamped envelope won't help, as it would have to have UK stamps on it (My local post office said they wouldn't accept US stamps on them).

The complexity of adding Paypal would only drive down the letter numbers.

If there is demand for the bulk option, then send an email to [email protected] confirming that you will definitely send a letter. If I get 100 emails, we can go with the bulk option. Otherwise, we can leave it as is and phase it out in mid-March.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Kotaku is the big one if we can get it. Look at how fast news of X-Treme has spread in only a few days. Sure, it's a much bigger piece of news, but still... those views will make a difference.

Jolly's trailer is already at 80,000 views.

As an added suggestion, please edit the youtube video description to have a direct link to the petition. You can add a link to the letter writing page below that. Many people will be too lazy to look at the site, but the video alone says a lot about the project.

10. Nova

Nova

The only issue here that I'm seeing is that a lot of general readers not in the know are just saying "why, it's already on like 10 platforms" - but I can't see any more we can do to curb this kind of thinking. We're already calling it 'remaster' so what more can we do to fix that?

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Metro published your email in their Game Central inbox Big Smile. Well done! Metro is absolutely huge in the UK and extremely prolific around London so this is a fantastic publication to cover us. These emails we're both firing out are evidently paying off slowly but surely. Here's hoping over the coming days we're published elsewhere. We're almost at 3000 signatures now so this article should push us over the barrier.

On another note what are everyone's thoughts on a second NeoGAF thread trying to get their members involved in the campaign? Good idea?

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Just wanted to update; for the stream, we're looking at March 15th, around 3 or 4 PM EST. Still waiting on a few people to say what time works best for them and then I'll ask that everyone involved makes a video promoting the stream / cause. This ranges from FTCR which has 11.5K subscribers, up to SomeCallMeJohnny who has 150K and Cobanermani456 who has 800K. No way the stream will get all of those people but those videos should really help.

13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Wow that's actually pretty fucking awesome. You combine those subscriber numbers and you're looking at a potential audience of one million people. Obviously we're not going to hit that number but even just a fraction of it would be a massive boost for the campaign. Kudos to everyone for making the stream happen. That should inject some energy in to the campaign come the middle of March. If you look at the news published this week and attention given to the campaign this has been our best week by far.

So things are going much better than expected. Should we keep this momentum going we might even get an acknowledgement/response from Sega eventually.

14. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I was hoping Metro would do it as an article, instead of the inbox. The BBC has shown some interest (provisionally), but their reporter is going a way for a week to cover a trade show. Hopefully, he'll still be interested on his return.

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Prod him with a reminder email upon his return. The BBC would be huge. Hope you're successful! As for Metro yeah I had the same reaction being a tad disappointed that it wasn't a full article. Still though Metro is massive and I'm glad we got the coverage. Please keep us informed and let us know how you progress.

Also keep moving forward with your efforts. Everything you're doing is working and driving the campaign forward.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Y'know what would be cool? If the purchase of Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered, if it were made, would result in Sonic CD getting an exclusive update which would allow you to play as Knuckles in it. A little extra for the original game that caused all this and a reference all us Sonic fans will get.

[inlinespoiler]The Lock-on Technology of Sonic & Knuckles, for those who wouldn't get it.[/inlinespoiler]

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Pretty cool idea. I guess if we're successful you could ask Stealth?

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That's gotta go through SEGA and Sonic Team and then every individual DL platform (Steam / iOS / Android / etc.) and would probably be more trouble than it's worth, especially when some updates got held up for months.

It'd be cool, though.

19. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Knuckles in Sonic CD would be a Sonic CD thing rather than a Sonic 3 thing. CD was also made with an older version of Retro Engine and even the source data isn't compatible with the version used by Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and the Sonic 3 POC, so if anything, it would probably first be rebuilt for the new engine so that it could be better maintained

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    IF it didn't get the update from S3&K specifically, would the engine be able to use Knuckles? I can't imagine it being any more taxing than Tails, but I'd prefer your knowledge on the subject.