don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is delightful. If not just because it replaces the tracks with the superior versions, it's pretty impressive on the technical side of it too.

But I went ahead and posted it on SSMB. Needless to say, I was (mostly) disappointed.
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    My goodness. Once this is complete it neeeeeedddsss to be combined with the Sonic 3D Blast no Flickies hack. I need this on my flash cart right now.

And wtf SSMB. Don't you recognize Saturn Master race when you hear it :colbert:

3. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

-RosaRosaRosalina
    -Starscream
    -Gregzilla
    -Little T
    -Soni
    -The Deleter
    -goku262002
    -Soniman
    -Patticus
    -Dizcrybe
    -Gabe
    Somebody jump on these guys.

Seriously. I'm changing my avatar to reflect my mood right now.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Goku262002 is Lanzer, by the way. Have at him.

But no seriously, this is a really nice project. It highlights how much I prefer the Saturn compositions, and how rubbish the Megadrive version soundfont is. Who's going to take up the challenge of doing the reverse to the Saturn version?

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    While I like the effort and its well done... I agree with the above verdict. MD version >>>> SS/PC Version.

Far more memorable... It is.

6. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Sam actually might be able to do something like that; he'd just have to make more awesome remixes like this one.

Doing this actually makes the music worthy of the Sega Saturn.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    That would be an excellent idea, because, you know... Not only is the intro terrible looking (despite it's good efforts through limited hardware), but it also doesn't tell us ANYTHING about the game or the story. It's just there... ...to show off~ Hearing the wonderful Saturn mixes in the Mega Drive version would be well worth the destruction of the intro.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hell go even further. Remove all the cutscenes. Those are just full of I don't give a shit anyway.

9. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    It'd be easy enough, the SS/PC version is just standard Redbook Audio. I suppose the big challenge here would be making the Genesis versions sound like it belongs on a CD, but with all the MIDIs floating around it shouldn't be too terribly hard.

Nice work on the hack, by the way. Both the soundtracks have their ups and downs (*coughPanicPuppetcough*) but generally speaking the Saturn version is the best IMHO.

EDIT: Cut down quote

10. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I figured the title'd be a bit of a controversy! I mean no disrespect to the Mega Drive soundtrack as I love that one as well, but the Saturn soundtrack is much more likened to my tastes and it's what I prefer listening to; making a ROM hack with the Saturn soundtrack seemed like a fun hack idea so I finished off the second act of Green Grove to make a video after did the first one last year. SSMB being SSMB aside, the reason I posted it here was less to see what the reaction would be and more to show off "hey, I'm capable of doing a thing that no one's ever done before".

I hadn't thought of removing the opening FMV, though! It'd certainly be a good way to make up room in the ROM. The SEGA chant in this game IIRC isn't big, it's just a second long (like the other DAC samples) and most likely compressed, so I'm not too worried about that, but as far as I know the FMV is quite the space taker here. Replacing music in a ROM via hex editing is really easy as all I had to do was find the music data and replace it with the new data and adjust the pointers as such - that's something anyone can do - but I don't know where the FMV is and I certainly don't want to risk breaking everything in the game since hex hacking is not my field.

Thank you guys so much for the great reception though. From both here and SSRG I'm extremely pleased with how much you guys like this and the reaction here wasn't anything like I was expecting. I'll definitely keep the project up and let you guys know how progress comes. And there'll be better piano instruments too. ;) I think the next tracks I'll want to do are Diamond Dust or Panic Puppet, I'm holding off on doing Rusty Ruin as long as I can because I've had two attempts at doing it so far and I'm very unsatisfied with the results.

(oh, and Xeta, I should note that my SoundCloud URL isn't /daleksam anymore, instead it's /swintonmusic - you got a dead link there, mate)

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Even if you remove the FMV intro, don't forget that the S3D driver uses the Z80 and it's therefore banked, and each bank is limited in size. So even if you magically obtain some new space, you can't just cram bigger songs in the existing banks, but you need to somehow create a new bank, something quite probably impossible to do in hex. I wonder where Sik is when he's needed...

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm just sliding in to say that I wish this was how the actual Genesis version of 3D Blast was. And then the Genesis 3D Blast OST was used for a Sonic 4.

But no really, amazing amazing amazing amazing work. I'm in love with the Saturn OST even if I also adore the Genesis version, so hearing it 'demade' for Genesis is the best kind of surreal.

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    The S3D version is nearly identical to the S&K driver — just remove an entry from the song bank table, remove the code for playing the S&K credits song, and swap the bank indices to those of S3D and you are gold. The GitHub disassembly has the disassembled driver (here).

14. nineko

nineko

italy
    Sometimes I forget how much awesome you are.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'm right here, you know. You wanna go we can take this to the streets right now and I'll flip you like a omelet >:U

Seriously though, it's an interesting project, and I think the guy did a good job on it.

This though raises the question of if anyone's thinking of doing a reverse attempt (Genesis compositions with Saturn-era/modern instruments). :P

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Flickies' Island's better music is the Mega Drive set imo, but this is still an impressive achievement.

+ - Also pet peeve - would it kill everyone to just call it Sonic 3D? I've always found the North America-only "Blast" title worse than the original. Using neither works as a fair compromise.  

17. nineko

nineko

italy
    Well yeah it's obvious that the Mega Drive music is much better than the Saturn one, I thought that was implied, but I still like and respect this project.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Saturn music is better.

Mega Drive music fits better.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies' Island :v:

Also, even if it's not part of the hack, I want to see if the Saturn intro video can be shoved into the MD version.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I propose we name Sam's hack for him (including upteen-page thread about the name itself, surely the most important part of any GruntMaster 6000 project), and I also propose that name be:

Ultra Super Sonic 3D Blast Dash: Flickies' Island Zero Special Limited Remastered Edition Remix Turbo + - ...plus Alpha.  

This has been an important post.