don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    That still begs the question of what that other ship is. I propose a theory, which is entirely fanon so do not take it as anything but: Robotnik does have several Flying Batteries hanging around, with two known models. The Flying Battery-Base, which is the level we know that acts like a mobile base (hence the construction or at least an adequate supply of Prison Capsules), and the Flying Battery-Bomb, which is the bomber we see in Angel Island Zone.

I say several because Sonic and Knuckles both destroy their own Flying Batteries, both the Base variant, hence why the level is completely intact for Knuckles' run despite the main part tearing off after Robotnik's attempt to try and kill Sonic Wing Fortress-style: it's a seperate Battery. Perhaps they are a precursor to the Egg Fleet?

Again, this is just a fan theory, you can ignore it outright and say "It's a vidya game!"

2. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    A few points:

• There is no actual evidence that Flying Battery is damaged in any way. Much more blatant is stuff like Marble Garden Zone, which is seen to physically deform due to earthquakes at several points in the stage, or the fact that Angel Island Zone is set on fire twice under the exact same circumstances each time.
    • It could very well be that at one point, Knuckles wasn't supposed to go through Flying Battery at all. We know that the stage was originally meant to come between Carnival Night and Ice Cap, and Knuckles' route between those stages (using the one-off teleporter pad) is fully present in the S3 level layouts, including the small room at the start of ICZ1 which isn't used for anything else. Perhaps Knuckles was always meant to warp between these two stages, but they later reversed that decision in order to make Knuckles' game in S&K a little longer. (It's worth noting that FBZ is the only stage Knuckles plays that doesn't have any exclusive routes, which lends credence to this theory.)

As a side note, we could've gone this route in developing S3C's zone order switch, but what's the point of locking Knuckles out of an entire stage?

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, at least a good chunk of it falls off what I assume is the supports. I doubt it'd last long in the air after that, for a variety of reasons such as the sudden loss of mass causing it to tumble.

And that's an understandable theory, though since Knuckles did hope onto the Flying Battery in the released game, it has to have some canonical presence to it.

I think we should leave this topic be now: it really delves into personal preference to how the matter is treated (hence my 'it's a fan theory' comment) and I'd rather not draw the ire of others on the board for getting into a debate and pulling the thread off topic. If we don't, we should at least shift it to PMs?

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Back to the Sonic/Sabrina crossover. My memory's fuzzy and I couldn't find anything to back this up, but I remember the art in that issue looking pretty strange. This was right after Sonic had gotten his Adventure look, but I think the penciling for the crossover had already been done when Archie made the switch. When he's not in a red-eyed rampage, Sonic has his classic look, but with green eyes.

5. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Interesting bug I haven't seen before at 35:31:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75khrI64E_Y#t=35m28s[/youtube]

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Speaking of bugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XvGzKuwww

Anyone know what the hell happened to Tails in the Special Stage there?

I know about the Death Egg one, before that's brought up, by the way.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I had a fun one today in S2 Android actually - ran into one of the fish in ARZ as Knuckles, lost all my rings, and it just flew off up and right - out of the water, into the sky, backwards. =P

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Oh god, Sonic Boom has begun to infect the other Sonic games around it!

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Blackhole; the Special Stage Tails issue is because you jumped to hit the yellow (spring) sphere at the last minute and as there is a delay between Sonic jumping and Tails jumping. Once you hit the yellow (spring) sphere, the speed of the special stage is briefly increased while you are in the air and as Tails jumps after Sonic, his jump is then faster and, thus, he jumps further; enough to clear the yellow (spring sphere). Tails doesn't interact with red and blue spheres (he never does), so he runs through them until you land on the other side. This is where the second part of the issue arises though: As you clear another yellow (spring) sphere while jumping, Tails actually hits this next one and he then gets bounced into the air.

The Death Egg Final Boss issue can be caused by 2 ways that I know of. First is debug, which is really easy to do. The second is to charge a spindash as soon as you gain control of Sonic, just after Robotnik enters his machine. I'm not too sure what the issue is, but it has something to do with the collapsing floor pieces that make up the ground. The collision isn't loaded on all of them if you enter the battle area too quickly.

EDIT: Sorry for the long explanation. And I explained (sort of) issue number 2 without fully reading your post. Sorry.

10. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Anybody heard the main melody of this (listen at 0:34) used as Joe Musashi's All Star theme in All Stars Racing Transformed?

Because I did. That's right; I was playing as Joe in the game, and then when I heard it used, I started going crazy.

Don't know if anybody else has actually paid attention to this. But, I just thought I'd say something because this really brings a smile to my face.

11. BigTheCat

BigTheCat

♥STYLISH SONIC♥ Member
    I was just playing SA2 HD, just normally trying to get some emblems. I was playing Route 280 and when I completed Mission 2 I got warped to Rouge's section of Cannon's Core. Eggman said his line like he usually says, but I can't move and I still have my end time and Rings from Route 280. However, instead of being able to move, I'm just stuck at this screen. I can't move or even pause the game.

[​IMG]

Rouge is still saying what she says when she's idle. So I imagine she's there somewhere. Just the camera is stuck at the ceiling or something.

I'm well aware of the Chao Key Glitch from a few years ago, but I haven't collected a single Chao Key since I've started playing today. I was literally just doing some missions and getting some A ranks.

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    That glitch happens when you clear mission 2 of Cannon's Core and then go play something else. Mission 2 is the only mission that can be cleared in a part other than Sonic's, and due to an oversight, the flag that tells the game to move on to the next part of Cannon's Core once you clear the stage isn't cleared. This is unrelated to the chao key glitch and I believe can be traced all the way back to the Dreamcast version.

13. BigTheCat

BigTheCat

♥STYLISH SONIC♥ Member
    That's nuts. I've never played the Dreamcast version, but with the amount of hours I've loaded onto SA2B, I'd think I would have encountered something like this.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    So I was looking at designs etched onto chips (like the famous Dolphin in the GC's...GPU? I think it was the GPU), and there's this website with a bunch of them, most of them without the source. So there's this:

[​IMG]

There's no data on where this Sonic is found. Does anyone here know if one of Sega's post-Mega Drive chips happens to have a Sonic etched into some of the free space of the chip? I haven't been able to find anything related to that.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That chip granted Sonic access to Blast Processing.

16. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I did a google reverse image search, found the name of the device on this page. Then I searched for the device + sonic which brought me to this page.
    So, yeah.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    So the five or so of you that have played Sonic's Schoolhouse might have some idea that the music in that game isn't all original. For example, the music used in the reading stage is from The Incredible Machine (or to be precise, one of its expansions). That's kinda cool.

The song played during the concentration playground game apparently comes from a guy named Carl Franklin, which I learned when I saw that it was one of the songs that came with the Soundblaster-16 drivers I used while getting Win 3.11 working in DOSBox

Believe it or not, that song has lyrics!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafLF5o5YqI[/media]

According to stuff you see on Carl Franklin's site, the guy performing the song there (Marc Frucht) worked on the song with him, so, yeah, I think it's fair to call these lyrics official.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

Huh. Official Japanese Sticks art. How strange.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    ...sooo, does this mean we can consider her design a main-canonically plausible one? Or still outside the norm until we get a main-canon Sticks?

I don't mind her design, just her personality. She really doesn't add to the series...

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean, to be fair, how many characters add anything to the series outside of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Amy? Cream and Big for example have been useless since Heroes.