don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Oh that Nova

Hey guys how about we don't call out Ken on plagiarism so when he publishes his comic we can THEN call him out so Archie can Perdue legal action

WOULDNT THAT BE THE PERFECT CONCOCTION OF IRONY

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yes. Not enough yes in the world to express my agreement.

3. What's the 1 for? It can't possibly be for some form of "effort"? :v:

4. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Let's see...

The mouth is too sunk in, the chest and torso are too wide in proportion to the arms, the arms are too short, the legs above the "knees", if one can call them that, are too long, the legs below the "knees" are too short and too thin, the cyborg eye is fugly, and the loincloth looks like a cross between a carpet and a toilet seat cover.

Overall, the xenomorph/human baby ftom Alien: Resurrection looked better than this.

Now for the more recent image:

First off, we have a narrator/fourth wall joke, which isn't downright atrocious, and the font isn't too far from what you might see in other comics, but then everything falls to shit once you get past the opening sentence.

I'm going to take a stab at it and say that the green colour on the chair was supposed to be from the glow of the screens. This idea would have probably worked better if it had been a slight glow on ... Geoffrey's (?, I've been out of the comics loop) fur if the scene had been positioned differently. Also, a complete flub on the part of getting the point across that he's sitting backwards in a chair.

The bitch's tail calls too much attention to itself. Also, Sgt. Pepper called, he wants his daughter back.

That's not your art on the screen, Ken.

Unless you had numbers or letters on the art, it would have been better to somehow flip it before he started to fill out the word balloons and screen images. At least that way you'd be able to go easily from left-to-right across the page.

5. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Oh that green thing between the skunk's legs is a glow on the chair. Its hard to tell. I think the worse offender is the low resolution, badly photoshopped (badly MSpainted) backgrounds/foregrounds. I saw his page, outstanding that he thinks his comic's CGI is almost as 'professional' looking as Archies.

Ugh, no:
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140315131331/sonic/images/a/a0/Sonic_super_digest_6_raw_cover.png

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is the worst thing I've seen.

[​IMG]

I have done better composites in my spare time for fun, and I don't remotely consider myself an artist. He's got no excuse for this.

edit: Also, I notice that the light sources on the CG model have no relation to the obvious sun in the background, nor does the burn tool shadow on the "ground".

7. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I was avoiding this thread thinking there wasn't anything new to take about. Boy I wish I was right.

I don't think there is a single thing not wrong with the entire image, but the transparency problems and resolution of the ground has me in stitches.

8. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    That's an insult to the genius that is Rafa Knight!

I genuinely have to wonder. Does he even know what good art looks like? I know that he's criticism intolerant, but it doesn't take a Da Vinci to see the gap in quality.

I'm genuinely getting worked up at his sheer arrogance! This is what holds artists back, Kenny! That, and laziness.... Both of which you've got in full supply!

9. Pengi

Pengi

Which is down to bad character placement in the first place. In comics, when you have multiple people talking, the person who speaks first should be on the left.

http://clintflickerlettering.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/forgotten-wisdom-or-what-are-they.html

He didn't even flip the image to take into account that the reader is looking at the back of the hologram, so Not-Knuckles is missing the wrong eye.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder if anyone has pointed out to Penders that he's using an Archie Knuckles drawing. I hope not, I want it published so Archie and Sega can countersue the fuck out of him.

11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    You should have seen the replies on his Twitter account...

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It would help his art soooooo much if he had at least a basic understanding of color theory. (Sketching and inking are his strengths in past comics he worked on.) Of course, we've all gone over that a thousand times in this topic. What I don't think has been said is I learned from experience that dodge/burn also ruins physical prints, so imagine how terrible his comics would look on paper? :v:

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That page. Without a doubt the worst comic page I have ever seen, or ever will.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    idk, this is pretty bad too:

[​IMG]

Unrelated but I wish this was a real page of a comic:
    [​IMG]

15. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ugh, I forgot how awful Ron Lim's art was. What the hell were they thinking?

16. Who said they were thinking? :v:

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Probably along the lines of "A very well known and successful Marvel artist is willing to do art for us on the cheap. Let's not be too picky so we don't have to cut into our profits."

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So Penders finally figured out why he gets so much hate. It's not because his artwork is atrocious, or that he's a pretentious whiner who claimed every single Sonic character he made for the Archie comics as his own.

[​IMG]

Nope, it's because those dern Republicans are demonizing him. ...wait what?

19. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Oh boy. Another one who's got that horrible mindset that everyone that disagrees with "X" must be "Y." Truly he is the gift that keeps on giving. :specialed:

20. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    He also got into a Twitter fight with Dan Slott (Marvel writer, best known for post-OMD Spider-Man, especially Superior Spider-Man, which he completely botched) of all people over how appropriate it would be to change Luke Cage's ethnicity in an adaptation. Naturally, Penders took the 'what's the problem with making him white' position, while Slott pretty much disagreed for all the wrong reasons, really.